Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 14, 2014 - 8:57 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

Of course there have been quite a few books exploring certain aspects of our Xenomorph "friends", but Fox have authorised a completely new trilogy of books to partly bridge the gap between Alien and Aliens.

The first installment - Alien - Out of the Shadows is set 37 years after the events of Alien and sees Ripley (accompanied by staff from a mining ship) back in action against her nemeses and I don't just mean the Xenomorphs...just because he lost his head in the first movie, doesn't mean he's not still in action, and, I have to say, I'm pretty impressed so far. Trying to get through it before publication of the second installment next week (I'm just a slow and occasional reader, that's all!), but enjoying the slight expansion of the universe. There are occasions when is does come across a bit FanFic-ish, and there are a couple of minor quibbles about the author's memories of the original movie, but in general I'm enjoying it a lot.

Anyone else out there grabbed this one?

Posted:   Jul 14, 2014 - 11:02 PM   
 By:   bondo321   (Member)

I picked it up but haven't read it yet. Also be aware that the just recently re-published the novelizations for Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 by Alan Dean Foster.

Posted:   Jul 14, 2014 - 11:45 PM   

I picked it up but haven't read it yet. Also be aware that the just recently re-published the novelizations for Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 by Alan Dean Foster.

I still have the originals smile ...great to see them back on the shelves though....I wonder if they fixed all the horrible spelling mistakes in Alien 3?

Posted:   Jul 17, 2014 - 6:00 AM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

The first installment - Alien - Out of the Shadows is set 37 years after the events of Alien and sees Ripley (accompanied by staff from a mining ship) back in action against her nemeses and I don't just mean the Xenomorphs...just because he lost his head in the first movie, doesn't mean he's not still in action, and, I have to say, I'm pretty impressed so far. Trying to get through it before publication of the second installment next week (I'm just a slow and occasional reader, that's all!), but enjoying the slight expansion of the universe. There are occasions when is does come across a bit FanFic-ish, and there are a couple of minor quibbles about the author's memories of the original movie, but in general I'm enjoying it a lot.

Anyone else out there grabbed this one?

Thanks for the info! I'm curious about the time between Alien and Aliens which was stated in the film to be 57 years; so Ripley had another adventure 20 years before Aliens or is the 57 years after the second adventure before Aliens? Or am I just confused?

Posted:   Jul 17, 2014 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   jenkwombat   (Member)

I'm curious about the time between Alien and Aliens which was stated in the film to be 57 years; so Ripley had another adventure 20 years before Aliens or is the 57 years after the second adventure before Aliens?

I was wondering the same thing. I recall it being 57 years.

Posted:   Jul 17, 2014 - 9:10 AM   

20 years between Out of the Shadows and Aliens...not stated explicitly, but that still fits the timeline....

Finished the book - yeah, it's good....thoroughly enjoyed it....ties nicely in to Aliens, and no doubt the next book which comes out on the 24th smile....

Posted:   Jul 17, 2014 - 9:17 AM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

20 years between Out of the Shadows and Aliens...not stated explicitly, but that still fits the timeline....

Finished the book - yeah, it's good....thoroughly enjoyed it....ties nicely in to Aliens, and no doubt the next book which comes out on the 24th smile....

Thanks for clarifying; and the review. Sounds like it's worth a read.