Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 27, 2014 - 5:31 PM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

The following cue sounds like what Jerry Goldsmith would have done, back when film music was still good. For me, that is so few and far between these days.

Good job Marco!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnS6iXLm1UU

Posted:   Jul 27, 2014 - 5:51 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

As I recall he was a student of Goldsmith's.

If you like this, Wolverine is in the same neighborhood sonically, as is World War Z, to a lesser extent.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2014 - 6:05 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

Really? This sounds nothing like Goldsmith. I can't think of a single Goldsmith score that was this sparse and atmospheric.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2014 - 6:32 PM   
 By:   MKRUltra   (Member)

The propulsive, snare-driven theme and action cues are very nicely reminiscent of Goldsmith, yes. Just wish the rest of the score maintained that level of excitement and interest -- a good half of the album is bland and a bit subdued. Film is brilliant, though.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 3:02 AM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

I haven't heard the whole score. I was just talking about the cue I shared.

I'll amend my post subject title from:

Very reminiscent of Jerry, Beltrami's SNOWPIERCER

To: Beltrami SNOWPIERCER cue reminds me of Jerry G.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 3:50 AM   
 By:   jb1234   (Member)

Beltrami's action style isn't that far removed from Goldsmith's, especially all the changing meters and his fondness for 7/8.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 4:13 AM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

Beltrami's action style isn't that far removed from Goldsmith's, especially all the changing meters and his fondness for 7/8.

I agree, and this cue mentioned ("This is the Beginning"), with its relentless snare rhythms and heroic strings and brass, sounds like something Goldsmith might have written for an action/adventure scene in something like The 13th Warrior or Timeline.

I do think that most of the rest of Snowpiercer does not sound like Goldsmith.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 8:08 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Beltrami was shaped by his tutelage under Jerry, and that is a good thing.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 8:31 AM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

I agree, and this cue mentioned ("This is the Beginning"), with its relentless snare rhythms and heroic strings and brass, sounds like something Goldsmith might have written for an action/adventure scene in something like The 13th Warrior or Timeline.

^ This. And then only with some stretch. First Blood it is definitely not. Not that any producer would ask for such a score nowadays anyway.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 9:14 AM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

I do think that most of the rest of Snowpiercer does not sound like Goldsmith.

That explains why I didn't recognize it. Not a fan of 13th Warrior or Timeline scores by Goldsmith.