Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 29, 2014 - 6:56 AM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

In fairness, Into the Woods is also a fantasy film.

Posted:   Dec 29, 2014 - 9:26 AM   
 By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

A mostly satisfying film adaptation. My main gripe is the rushing through of the first act finale and the truncating of "Ever After." I think there should have been just a tad more breathing room throughout the film overall - maybe increasing the movie's running time by 10 minutes or so. Otherwise, very fine. Rob Marshall should be in charge of every major film of a B'way musical. And so thrilling to hear Sondheim's score beefed up brilliantly for the big screen.

Posted:   Dec 30, 2014 - 3:51 AM   
 By:   Stefancos   (Member)

In that it doesn't "belong in the past," I presume. It's certainly difficult to see why an entire genre belongs in the past.

In the case of musicals and westerns, their current day popularity is only a fraction of what it once was.
Quite simple if one thinks about it...

Posted:   Dec 30, 2014 - 10:37 AM   

So?

Posted:   Dec 30, 2014 - 3:51 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

In that it doesn't "belong in the past," I presume. It's certainly difficult to see why an entire genre belongs in the past.

In the case of musicals and westerns, their current day popularity is only a fraction of what it once was.
Quite simple if one thinks about it...

But no one cares about science fiction anymore either. Those old "Flash Gordon" and "Buck Rogers"-type adventures are just for yesterday's kids. Who's gonna pay to see grown men fight each other with laser swords?

All it takes is one more good one to make a ton of money. Then you'll see how much a given genre "belongs in the past." Historically, at the box office, and currently, in home video sales, musicals are still a viable genre. Just wait until an indisputably good one comes out.

Posted:   Dec 31, 2014 - 12:42 AM   
 By:   Stefancos   (Member)

Its been decades now!

Posted:   Dec 31, 2014 - 4:53 AM   

And that's a reason no one should ever try one ever again? Under penalty of... what, exactly?

If you don't personally care for an entire genre, you can always opt not to see movies of that genre; there's no need to begrudge others their joy. If you're not anti-musical in general but think there just haven't been any in decades, perhaps you're not looking in the right place, or perhaps you're just inclined to dismiss everything new. Have you seen every recent musical? Even ones from other countries, in other languages?