Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 30, 2014 - 12:23 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

New copies at sale price direct from Colosseum :

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.php/info/p361_Forever-Amber--David-Raskin-.html

Could this mean there's a complete edition coming soon? Even if that's not the case and you still don't have a copy, don't miss this gem which is one of the heights in not-only-golden-age-film music.

Doubtful - Varese owns that one in perpetuity.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2014 - 12:29 PM   
 By:   Anabel Boyer   (Member)

New copies at sale price direct from Colosseum :

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.php/info/p361_Forever-Amber--David-Raskin-.html

Could this mean there's a complete edition coming soon? Even if that's not the case and you still don't have a copy, don't miss this gem which is one of the heights in not-only-golden-age-film music.

Doubtful - Varese owns that one in perpetuity.

That's what i don't understand, that perpetual "perpetuity" stuff : couldn't Varèse be working on a complete edition and trying to get rid of copies from the former edition? Sorry if my question sounds stupid but keep in mind i'm not a film music producer. wink

Posted:   May 16, 2015 - 3:17 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

I just found the RCA re-recording for cheap. Now I'm doubly-regretting not getting that Varese from the used bin long ago.

Argh!

Posted:   May 17, 2015 - 7:50 AM   
 By:   panphoto   (Member)

Just found this for you: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/forever-amber/351672?ean=30206585728 and at a reasonable price, good luck!

Posted:   May 17, 2015 - 11:17 AM   
 By:   fortyone   (Member)

Really try to grab a copy of the Varese CD, David, it's just a wonderful score.

It's a shame a more complete release seems unlikely. I have and will refrain from being overly critical of Varese, but this is another example of why they draw such sharp criticism at times. Only they have the key to AMBER's heart...FOREVER. big grin

But they do, whether FOREVER AMBER or many others. Hopefully one day.

Posted:   May 17, 2015 - 11:23 AM   
 By:   fortyone   (Member)

dp

Posted:   May 18, 2015 - 3:37 AM   
 By:   Joe Caps   (Member)

The Main difference between the Varese recordingand all others , including the original 1948 78 rpm of highlihts, a rerecording conducted by Raksin. is that the Varese actual soudntrack, is conducted by that master conductor and composer, Al;fred Newman.

All you have to do is compare the final scene of the film topany other performance of that scene. there is NO comparison. Newman is simply amazing.

Posted:   May 18, 2015 - 6:57 AM   
 By:   Jeff Bond   (Member)

Some of my favorite themes in the score aren't even on Raksin's recording. The Varese release is a must if you like this score.

Posted:   May 18, 2015 - 7:45 AM   
 By:   FalkirkBairn   (Member)

Some of my favorite themes in the score aren't even on Raksin's recording. The Varese release is a must if you like this score.

Is there a cue breakdown in order to see whether it's possible to separate out the individual cues from the Varese suites? It might not be possible to do this though as the individual cues seem to be edited to create continuous music within each track on the Varese CD.