Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 13, 2014 - 8:44 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I'm starting to take for granted now the fact that when I put on a new score by John Scott, I will be rewarded with AT LEAST one new sumptuous and memorable theme, (though it can be two), together with some stirring action cues and well written and orchestrated suspense or mood music.
This little beauty opens with a cool little military-style march for the King's Hussars and has the trade-mark Scott 'beautiful/elegant love theme', which gets lots of plays and variations throughout and is probably heard best in the Day At The Coast cue.
There's another, classical sounding theme, given a grand rendition near the end in Christoff's Return.
I haven't seen the film (nor likely will) but that's okay, because the film I see in my head, when the characters discuss poetry or make love in the barn, is likely to be much better than the finished product (and meaning no disrespect to the finished film).
I am trying to keep my listening order intact (I'm up to The Deceivers at the mo' in his filmography order), but grabbed this one from the shelf just to shake things up a bit.
Please share your thoughts about this score (or the film).
I look forward to reading them.

Posted:   Aug 13, 2014 - 9:30 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

One of my favorite John Scott scores.
Just a pity the lengthy track with numerous examples of solo bugle calls isn't at the end as a bonus track instead of stuck right in the middle of the score.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2014 - 1:33 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Aye, that cue and the tavern/accordion track where the first to go during my re-edit.