Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 17, 2014 - 5:38 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

Strangely, I was not impressed by the scores for the two previous films.

At first.

But after some time I gave it another chance and began to really like Howard´s work. It was probably my wrong expectations that kept me from recognizing that these scores really show Howard can still achieve greatness.

Posted:   Nov 18, 2014 - 8:49 AM   
 By:   aldan   (Member)

snippets from the score
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/watch-the-hunger-games-mockingjay-part-1-102558463112.html

If you patient enough with all of those interviews, then you will hear another winning return of JNH, and to of course Hunger games series, it'a all like an extention of Maleficent (which itself a techno fantasy writing, different, but still great) and some action writing sounds like the best part of After Earth and previous Night's films, and some Salt.

I hope he'd score another fantasy movie (disney again maybe) or superhero movies (dc and marvel, here goes fanboys) or perhaps horror writing (syahmalan has a blumhouse horror project on his pocket)

Posted:   Nov 20, 2014 - 8:08 AM   
 By:   c8   (Member)

Saw the movie at a pre-screening last night. The movie is very dark (as was to be expected) and the action comes in starts and fits. However, the film was excellent and splitting the book almost made the story work better given the book was so rushed. Mockingjay is a fully fleshed out suspense film leading up to something more that's coming in Part 2. The performances were stellar and the whole show was majorly captivating.

If people are expecting a broad, wowza kind of score, be ready to be disappointed. This is very much JNH in suspense mode for most of the running time. Lots of droning and crescendos that rarely go anywhere. The score worked well enough in the film, and there's some lovely cues for the Mockingjay herself at the beginning of the film that seemed suspiciously inspired by Avatar. Otherwise, I expect the album to bore most people. I could certainly (and certainly hope to) be wrong.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2014 - 11:29 AM   
 By:   yonythemoony   (Member)

Here comes the bashing (Sigh...). It's not a bore. 99% of the score was orchestral and melodic, dropping some of the loud synth parts of the first two scores. Although, there's some parts buried under the sound effects. Surprisingly, JNH used some cues from the first score that wasn't used in the first film or included in the CD (the one called The Arsenal has a excerpt of a cue called They're Flying that was supposed to play before the Cornucopia scene), with some arragements of the Katniss theme from the first score with boys's choir at the end, a scene where he quotes a part of the Rue's Farewell theme (which it fits perfectly) and a piano rendition of the District 12 motif (although they tracked Healing Katniss from the first score, but it fits perfectly for the scene it was reused).

From the themes of the second movie, he reuses the Snow theme in certain moments, same with the new Katniss theme (again performed by JNH's co-composer Sunna Wehrmeijer). The standout is definitely the Hanging Tree song from the book, which it gets a full rendition with orchestra and choir (The choir is more audible than in the first two scores). They're keeping all the action for the second part, which given how they played out the first one, it's gonna be violent like the book.

About the movie, I was surprised by how the scenes from the book had a better development and without getting filler to enhance the plot.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2014 - 2:02 PM   
 By:   David (Giacchino-fan)   (Member)

I'm one who typically prefers old-fashioned scores as opposed to atmospheric ones, but since my first listen to the Hunger Games scores out so far I've really enjoyed them. I've found them to be plenty exciting in the action department, heartfelt, and most definitely thematic. while mixed low in the films, both albums so far (and I would wager the third as well) have been great listens on CD. I've got this score on pre-order and am anticipating it greatly. I'll post a review when I get a chance to listen.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2014 - 10:47 PM   

First listening: it´s brilliant.

JNH really develops the themes of his previous scores, uses them, builds on them - and since this film is less action and more drama, he is allowed to deliver music that at times reminded me of the slow creeping dread that his best Shyamalan-scores can conjure.

Posted:   Nov 21, 2014 - 5:50 AM   
 By:   cdelelee   (Member)

Listen to this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCzX_6kOgVY

Posted:   Nov 21, 2014 - 6:12 AM   
 By:   Gorbadoc   (Member)

First listening: it´s brilliant.

JNH really develops the themes of his previous scores, uses them, builds on them - and since this film is less action and more drama, he is allowed to deliver music that at times reminded me of the slow creeping dread that his best Shyamalan-scores can conjure.

Sounds promising! Though certainly not Howard's best score (far from it), I enjoy his music for the first Hunger Games movie. The Catching Fire score however didn't impress me at all, so I would love the Mockingjay scores to improve upon the second movie.

'Hanging Tree' sounds pretty good, in any case.

Posted:   Nov 21, 2014 - 12:14 PM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

Very strange, and kind of frustrating, that the score is 3 days away from release and no track times have been released anywhere. We'll all know in 3 days, but still, I'm eager to find out the length of the album and if there are some substantially lengthy tracks...

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 1:35 AM   

Very strange, and kind of frustrating, that the score is 3 days away from release and no track times have been released anywhere. We'll all know in 3 days, but still, I'm eager to find out the length of the album and if there are some substantially lengthy tracks...

You can see them on iTunes!

Longest track is 4:34, shortest 1:12. Most are about 3 minutes. 23 tracks!

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 1:45 AM   

You can see them on iTunes!

Longest track is 4:34, shortest 1:12. Most are about 3 minutes. 23 tracks!

Weird, but I can't find the Mockingjay Pt. 1 score album anywhere on iTunes. What is your search query? I've looked under James Newton Howard, Mockingjay Pt. 1, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt. 1, James Newton Howard Mockingjay, etc....

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 2:00 AM   

That is indeed weird - I found it under James Newton Howard.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 2:07 AM   

That is indeed weird - I found it under James Newton Howard.

Hmm. Just did yet another search under James Newton Howard and the Mockingjay score is definitely not listed! Any way you might be able to provide a link somehow, to apple's iTunes online site for the score?

I've done all kinds of searches all over the web to try to find it, or even a link to the iTunes apple page for the score, but haven't found it.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 4:07 AM   

Maybe it´s because I am from Germany and using that iTunes-site? Try changing your country on the iTunes selection.

Can´t link to the Mockingjay-offer, unfortunately.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 4:19 AM   

Maybe it´s because I am from Germany and using that iTunes-site? Try changing your country on the iTunes selection.

Can´t link to the Mockingjay-offer, unfortunately.

Thanks anyway. According to tracking info, I might get the CD in the mail ahead of schedule anyway -- today! I'll post the track times here once I get the CD (or if I see it online) unless someone beats me to it.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 4:31 AM   

1. The Mockingjay 2:40
2. Remind her who the enemy is 2:30
3. District 12 3:24
4. Snow´s Speech 3:33
5. Please welcome Peeta 3:54
6. Katniss´ Nightmare 2:07
7. The Arsenal 3:55
8. Incoming Bombers 4:34
9. Don´t be a fool, Katniss 1:40
10. District 12 Ruins 4:06
11. The Hanging Tree 3:39
12. Peeta´s Broadcast 1:46
13. Air Raid Drill 4:32
14. It´s gonna be a long night 2:27
15. Taunting the car 2:09
16. White roses 3:27
17. District 8 Hospital 2:07
18. The Broadcast 1:12
19. Jamming the Capital 3:28
20. Inside the Tribute Center 3:45
21. Put me on the air 3:10
22. They´re back 2:48
23. Victory 2:55

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 4:48 AM   

Thanks, W.G.N.B.G.!

Looks like a lovely 70-minute confection. Roughly the same length as Catching Fire (maybe a few minutes shorter). Awesome!

My excitement at hearing this score is now at a fever pitch...

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 8:07 AM   

It really is a great score! I´m sure you will like it.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 8:12 AM   
 By:   Mike West   (Member)

I look forward to this very much, having enjoyed the tone of the first two.
Some inventive things in the action writing and some really beautiful themes in there.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2014 - 8:38 PM   
 By:   aldan   (Member)

Air Raid Drill is just like JNH's this year's The Great Eatlon