Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Land of the Pharaohs

Posted:   Aug 31, 2014 - 2:38 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

Tiomkin was PERFECTLY cast in this movie.

So buy it now while it is on sale!

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/8333/LAND-OF-THE-PHARAOHS/

Posted:   Aug 31, 2014 - 3:06 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

Loooong time favorite. One of FSM's happiest releases for me.

Posted:   Sep 1, 2014 - 5:04 PM   
 By:   Panavision70   (Member)

"The Pharaoh's Procession" alone is worth the cost the 2-cd set. A wonderful score made even better by the unique sound of the 1950's Warner Bros. orchestra.

Posted:   Sep 3, 2014 - 2:17 PM   
 By:   SoundScope   (Member)

Absolutely a perfect match of composer to film! This is grand, exciting Hollywood stuf!! Couldn't agree with you more. smile

Posted:   Sep 4, 2014 - 5:25 PM   
 By:   philiperic   (Member)

my favorite Tiomkin score - among many other great ones

Posted:   Sep 4, 2014 - 6:27 PM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

He was perfectly cast in it all right.

But not just because of the 'big Hollywood' angle. I recall thinking when I first heard Gerhardt's take on the Dalai Lama's funeral procession in 'Lost Horizon', 'This sounds Egyptian' .... it could be a Pharaoh's funeral, the bells, the orientalisms, but also the quick descending intervals that denote Africa in everything from 'White Witch Doctor' to 'Zulu'.

My old mate Carl Jung used to say that Egypt was better approached via the Hamitic rather than the Semitic mindset, and he's right (i.e., the feel of Egypt in her greatest era was African, not Arabic) and it needs that sort of approach musically. That's what he gives it.

I'm sure Hawks and those in the loop made the same connection in casting this film. It's the best evocation of Egypt in any movie score, not sliding down the Arabic, or the Aida traps, but going for its own feel. And never corny.

Avoid the obvious. De Bosio's 'Moses the Lawgiver' is the most VISUALLY accurate depiction, and not one person in that production ever wears that silly square-head dishcloth that everybody thinks is Egyptian in movies, but which is really a misinterpretation of a Pharaoh's lion's mane headdress. And in LotPs you have the MUSICALLY best evocation, because Tiomkin avoids the vampy kitsch sand-dances and goes for the big African feel, which hits the spot.