Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 2:26 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

I can't stay up that late.
Can you make it 11 p.m.?

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 2:43 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Silver Age tv releases will come out after all us Silver Agers are either deaf or dead.
Blame those damn greedy Golden Agers!

We just want to wean you off your junk. Come back to beautiful , exciting melodies. I suppose as long as mediocrity sells you will still get your junk. As one record owner has stated , he has a family to consider.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 2:45 PM   
 By:   Score-Man-X   (Member)

Just wondering, what is silver age and what is golden age? I mean what decades are they from? lol

5 years ago, Lukas Kendall issued the following statement:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=100554&forumID=1&archive=0

>>I decided on "Silver Age Classics" circa 1998 to brand our CDs from the 1960s and '70s—I remember it being used in discussing comic books. Of course golden (50th) and silver anniversaries (25th) are common in the culture. Golden Age had been in common use re: composers from the studio era. Lukas <<

This was mainly due to the first CDs of Lukas FSM label. These each had a golden or silver frame around the cover image. Later, only the corresponding designation.

By passing time over the last 20 years, I would personally tend to postpone that definition in time. For me today, all the scores until 1969 is Golden Age. All scores from 1970 to 1999 are Silver Age for me. All scores from 2000 to the present day are Modern Age.
Why?
Now the first separation 1969/1970 I justify with the entry of many new music styles into the film music, away from the classic Hollywood style. I let the present Modern Age begin in 2000, because from then on the music style, which Hans Zimmer and his disciples represent, began to dominate.
Personally, I don't like everything from this modern style. But most of Hans Zimmer's important scores are really original and innovative, and of course in my CD collection.
It is therefore okay for me that this modern music style now establishes the Modern Age.

This is, of course, my purely personal point of view.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 3:10 PM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

Just wondering, what is silver age and what is golden age? I mean what decades are they from? lol

Use the search engine....

You're such a nice and pleasant member. smile

Yes, he's really one of a kind.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 3:21 PM   
 By:   Jim Cleveland   (Member)

5 Black Friday Titles in all. Unlike previous years I will not be giving out specific information on them like number of units or retail prices. We'll be making the big announcement in a few weeks, Nov 23 starting at 12:01 am pst via our social media accounts and here on the fsm board.

MV

Been wanting to ask this for a while... on the DAY of the announcement, will the online retailers - moviemusic, SAE, etc. - already have them in stock and ready to accept orders, or will it be a week or two before they get them?
Thanks!smile

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 3:28 PM   
 By:   La La Land Records   (Member)

5 Black Friday Titles in all. Unlike previous years I will not be giving out specific information on them like number of units or retail prices. We'll be making the big announcement in a few weeks, Nov 23 starting at 12:01 am pst via our social media accounts and here on the fsm board.

MV

Been wanting to ask this for a while... on the DAY of the announcement, will the online retailers - moviemusic, SAE, etc. - already have them in stock and ready to accept orders, or will it be a week or two before they get them?
Thanks!smile

No, I doubt we will have any in stock ready to ship. Also, I will not be offering them to anyone outside our website until we know how many we need for our direct customers.

So if you want any of these titles before the holidays your best and only bet is to order them directly through us. We will only have so many in stock and will not be able to get more in stock until the new year.

MV

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 3:37 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Is this because, if you did do as you have in the past, it would give something away? (like a certain multi-disc John Williams set that would make this one "a year for the books"?) wink

Golden and Silver Age definitions have indeed shifted over time, and in reality there are probably more "ages" than that (Silent Age, Pre-War Age, Post-War Age...before we even get to the 60s at all). But if you want larger timespans, I always thought Lukas's were pretty good...Golden Age roughly up through 1960 (though he sometimes made exceptions for labeling certain 60s scores written by Golden Age composers), and Silver Age sometime in the 70s. With Star Wars and similar scores from John Williams, plus stuff like The Wind and the Lion from Goldsmith, I feel the mid-late 70s saw the dawn of a new "Bronze Age" which lasted through the 80s and maybe even a bit into the 90s, sort of a callback to the orchestral grandeur of the Golden Age but in a modern guise.
But also in the 80s a new, very different kind of music arrived (synthesizer-led) and even sometimes mixed with that orchestral grandeur, particularly in Goldsmith's scores. And that's kinda been the situation ever since, with us living in the Digital (Silicon?) Age...

Yavar

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 3:45 PM   

Use the search engine....

You're such a nice and pleasant member. smile

Yes, he's really one of a kind.

What?
Lukas et. Al can answer it better than I!
I made a helpful suggestion.
You are quite welcome.
Bruce 'One of a kind" Marshall

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 4:31 PM   
 By:   CitizenJoe   (Member)

Is this because, if you did do as you have in the past, it would give something away? (like a certain multi-disc John Williams set that would make this one "a year for the books"?) wink

Like he's going to answer such a direct question. XD

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 4:35 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Haha, I know. Hence the smiley face.

Yavar

Posted:   Nov 10, 2018 - 4:44 PM   
 By:   acathla   (Member)

Thanx for the explanation guys! big grin

Posted:   Nov 11, 2018 - 4:46 PM   
 By:   JThree   (Member)

Still any guesses on what will come out on Black Friday? I could write out my "wishes," but that wouldn't be the same as something in the realm of probability? Does anybody have some guesstimates that are within reason?

Are re-releases of classic tv albums from the sixties more likely than newly produced albums of tv music?

Any guesses?

--jthree

Posted:   Nov 11, 2018 - 7:06 PM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

Still any guesses on what will come out on Black Friday? I could write out my "wishes," but that wouldn't be the same as something in the realm of probability? Does anybody have some guesstimates that are within reason?

Are re-releases of classic tv albums from the sixties more likely than newly produced albums of tv music?

Any guesses?

--jthree

Something old, something new, something Williams, something that probably isn't Delerue.

Oh, and there's a fifth one. Um...let's say Tomorrow Never Dies.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2018 - 7:09 PM   
 By:   Steve H   (Member)

Something old, something new, something Williams, something that probably isn't Delerue.

....and maybe something rather askew! D)

Posted:   Nov 12, 2018 - 2:18 AM   
 By:   trstnvnk   (Member)

Any guesses?

--jthree

Based on rumors on these boards:

The Thin Red Line
Schindler's List
Harry Potter 1-3
Superman: The Movie
Tomorrow Never Dies

Posted:   Nov 12, 2018 - 6:11 AM   
 By:   JGouse0498   (Member)

Based on rumors on these boards:

The Thin Red Line
Schindler's List
Harry Potter 1-3
Superman: The Movie
Tomorrow Never Dies

I'd say that's an excellent prediction although--and I'm sure this is wishful thinking on my part--I hope that Kamen's LONG-overdue X-MEN is coming rather than THE THIN RED LINE.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2018 - 6:24 AM   
 By:   moolik   (Member)

Still think it´ll be SUPERMAN The movie...cause of the previous releases by lalaland.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2018 - 6:40 AM   
 By:   keky   (Member)

There was rumour about JNH's The Postman as well. I don't know if it's coming this Black Friday or not but I keep hoping it's coming sooner or later.

Also, The Thin Red Line would be amazing!

Posted:   Nov 12, 2018 - 8:06 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

I won't be happy unless there's a Richard Band release in the group.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2018 - 8:59 AM   

Poor Moradi.
Not one Goldsmith in the batch.