Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 30, 2018 - 3:01 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Do you know what the best film score was in 2017?

To me, there's no doubt -- Zbigniew Preisner's (and Lisa Gerrard's) score for the gorgeously poetic Norwegian film SKYGGENES DAL [VALLEY OF SHADOWS] -- also a film featuring in my Top 10 of the year.

Preisner utilizes more electronics than usual, but in a lofy, ethereal way, plus some gorgeous writing for strings, male chorus and some spellbinding moments (two tracks) featuring Lisa Gerrard on vocals. It really captures the mystery of the forest, as seen through the young boy's eyes and imagination. Just pure bliss!

Alas, the score does not (yet) have a commercial release. I really hope it does soon. But meanwhile, you can hear two tracks from the promo in my webcast episode on the best scores of the year. Scroll to 44:20 here: http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-54-the-10-best-scores-of-2017-18th-international-edition/

Who do we bother to get this score properly released?

Posted:   Jan 30, 2018 - 4:38 AM   
 By:   Laurent78   (Member)

Thanks Thor for promoting rather unknown scores like this. I like both Zbigniew Preisner and Lisa Gerrard and should check out this one since your description looks promising. In another thread, you mentioned Forget’s LA FORET. Believe it or not: although I’m French, I never ever heard of this composer before! I visited his website in the meantime and listened to a few excerpts from this TV score as well as from MISSIONS, another effort for the TV. I will try to play the full CD's in order to make up my mind. There are several newcomers such as this guy or Mathieu Lamboley and it's not always easy to keep up to date. But thanks for your curiosity and for sharing your findings with the members of the board.

Posted:   Jan 30, 2018 - 5:35 AM   

No problem! Yeah, Forget's LA FORET was a late discovery for me; after I had done my Top 10. But that and this score are really made of the same "ilk" (perhaps not surprising, since both seem to be about the mysteries of the forest), although the superior score is Preisner's, by far.

Posted:   Feb 2, 2018 - 3:16 AM   

Yeah, enthusiastic as I am about this one, I realize it's not easy to create buzz here, for a score that is not available outside the movie, and for a movie that will probably never screen at your local Cineplex.

But it seems to have been a trend with Preisner lately -- several of his newer scores remain unreleased. For example, the drop-dead gorgeous score he wrote for A História Da Eternidade (2014). Again only a promo. When was the last time Preisner released a commercial soundtrack for one of his scores?

Posted:   Feb 2, 2018 - 4:19 AM   
 By:   Laurent78   (Member)

It seems the last one was LA REINA DE ESPANA (2016) of which the score was released by Quartet Records. I didn’t have the opportunity to listen to that one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2411144/?ref_=nm_flmg_com_4

Preisner also scored the British movie LIES WE TELL that came out today:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4423984/?ref_=nm_flmg_com_1

No idea if this soundtrack is likely to surface on record.

Laurent

Posted:   Feb 2, 2018 - 4:51 AM   

It seems the last one was LA REINA DE ESPANA (2016) of which the score was released by Quartet Records. I didn’t have the opportunity to listen to that one:

Ah, that's right! I think I sampled it, and wasn't as impressed with that as I've been with several of his unreleased scores. Weird priority. But I'll give it another go.