Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 1:03 AM   
 By:   pzfan   (Member)

Not that I am watching these 'competitions', but the world is definitely turning into ass.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/05/us/miss-america-swimsuit-trnd/index.html

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 7:00 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

First off let me say I don't watch beauty contests, they are vapid, pointless and cringe worthy. (The winner always goes into an uncontrolled fit) But what exactly are they being "judged" on then? Intelligence and talent? I hear crickets...

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 7:08 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

Whenever I hear anything about these type of competitions, the only thing I can remember is Chris de Burgh's daughter winning Miss World for Ireland in 2003...

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 7:24 AM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

Here is what one beauty contestant stated.

"These girls aren't just being overtly sexualized, with photos that live on the internet forever, they are under extreme pressure to be as thin as they can get." She went on to say a lot of negative things about having to have spray tans and dealing with other issues in order to prance around in a bikini.

I'm thrilled the swimsuit portion was dropped. You can still see beauty in an evening gown and talent in the talent section. (Seeing intelligence in the questioning part is iffy. Is intelligence even valued?) People just won't be able to see if a female's breasts are large enough for their tastes or if a female's abs are tight enough. Too bad, so sad. I'm thrilled with the decision to drop the swimsuit competition. (There are always magazines and the Internet if anyone feels deprived.)

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 7:58 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

The swim suite portion wasn't interesting anyway. Didn't they wear a one piece like granny? Show me the ladies in a bikini and I might have tuned in. BTW I have no problem sexualizing women, men are sexualize too. Sexuality is a valid human trait. And no I don't base my opinion of a persons character off of their sexuality.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 8:04 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

When i was a kid Miss World - run by the Morleys - was a massive event on tv. I havent seen a beauty pageant like that in 30 years. Didnt know they still did such things.

All i care about now is world peace...! wink

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 8:24 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

Good enough for me, I crown you Miss World.

If it's not a meat market, then what's the point?

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:18 AM   
 By:   Montana Dave   (Member)

When i was a kid Miss World - run by the Morleys - was a massive event on tv. I havent seen a beauty pageant like that in 30 years. Didnt know they still did such things.

and Pizza!

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:23 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Well, if we are judging them on their brains solely, them a number of things leap to mind:

• Why do we have to see them at all? Couldn't they be obscured and revealed at the end in the final contestants portion or just the winner and runner up? After all, it's all about the brains!

• If it's all about the brains, then why not just have it broadcast on radio?

• If it's all about the brains, why not have it printed in a magazine or newspaper?

• If it's all about the brains, why limit it to women?

• If they want a contest about brains, why not leave Miss America alone, and start their own special: Miss S.T.E.M. America. There can be two! If American agree with this, then the ratings will reflect this.

• If it's all about brains and they don't want men in it, then where is the male-only version?

• If people wanted this, they'd have overwhelmingly asked for it. Not a minority of losers located in isolated pockets of the country.

•  

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:24 AM   
     By:   Montana Dave   (Member)

Not that I am watching these 'competitions', but the world is definitely turning into ass.

pzfan: You complain you cannot view women in bathing suits anymore. First, YOU, pzfan, post 2 photos of yourself, clearly yourself from head to toe wearing only the briefest of Speedos. One photo from the front, one from the back, including your face. Post it here for all of us to see, and judge. Then we'll see what we can do about getting you access to the show, front and center.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:25 AM   

The FSM forum is not a annual television beauty contest; a contest which you have to enter, not be demanded to enter by some random person.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:31 AM   
     By:   joan hue   (Member)

BTW, there is a Mr. United States contest for men only. Don't know if they wear speedos or not.

"If people wanted this, they'd have overwhelmingly asked for it. Not a minority of losers located in isolated pockets of the country." Justin, who are these "minority losers" you refer to? Guess I'm a loser.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:35 AM   

You are entitled to your own inferences. But if you think asking like that will get you more than my preceding opening sentence, you are wrong.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:41 AM   
     By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Sounds like this could be a big win for the Miss USA Pageant, which has seen ratings declines in the past few years. The Miss USA Pageant that was just broadcast on 21 May only had a 0.6 share of viewers ages 18-49 and 2.35 million total viewers. In contrast, the last Miss America broadcast had a 1.1 share and 5.35 million viewers. We'll see how those numbers change for the next broadcasts.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:41 AM   
     By:   Rameau   (Member)

So a right old minger comes on, shows what good work she's done, & wins Miss America...I'll get my coat big grin

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:45 AM   
     By:   Last Child   (Member)

First off let me say I don't watch beauty contests, they are vapid, pointless and cringe worthy. (The winner always goes into an uncontrolled fit) But what exactly are they being "judged" on then? Intelligence and talent? I hear crickets...

You already said it - "a beauty contest," not a "I'm sure she has a nice personality contest." wink But maybe at this point, that's what it should be about.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 9:57 AM   

Sounds like this could be a big win for the Miss USA Pageant, which has seen ratings declines in the past few years. The Miss USA Pageant that was just broadcast on 21 May only had a 0.6 share of viewers ages 18-49 and 2.35 million total viewers. In contrast, the last Miss America broadcast had a 1.1 share and 5.35 million viewers. We'll see how those numbers change for the next broadcasts.

Meaningless beauty contest will become even more meaningless. It's not like feminists are going to watch it now. They should just cancel it. Nobody will miss it.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 10:12 AM   

pzfan: You complain you cannot view women in bathing suits anymore. First, YOU, pzfan, post 2 photos of yourself, clearly yourself from head to toe wearing only the briefest of Speedos. One photo from the front, one from the back, including your face. Post it here for all of us to see, and judge. Then we'll see what we can do about getting you access to the show, front and center.

I would rather see them without bathing suits. I am a simple man.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 10:13 AM   
     By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

When I won it (1983), I vividly remember feeling like a piece of meat, being eyed up by all the local (male) butchers.
    Sure, they axed me what my goals in life were, but I felt they were just marking time, before they could cop a feel or have a quick grope.
    They also promised me a regular slot on the Benny Hill show, to further my acting career, but they subsequently fired me, citing 'creative differences'.
    I'm glad they've banned the cozzy section. Serves the dirty old codgers right!!
    Let them go back to the House of Commons to service their needs!

Posted:   Jun 6, 2018 - 10:26 AM   

Here is what one beauty contestant stated.

"These girls aren't just being overtly sexualized, with photos that live on the internet forever, they are under extreme pressure to be as thin as they can get." She went on to say a lot of negative things about having to have spray tans and dealing with other issues in order to prance around in a bikini.

I'm thrilled the swimsuit portion was dropped. You can still see beauty in an evening gown and talent in the talent section. (Seeing intelligence in the questioning part is iffy. Is intelligence even valued?) People just won't be able to see if a female's breasts are large enough for their tastes or if a female's abs are tight enough. Too bad, so sad. I'm thrilled with the decision to drop the swimsuit competition. (There are always magazines and the Internet if anyone feels deprived.)

If I remember correctly, winners of these contests are signing deals to model agencies. And I don't think these agencies are interested in their so-so talents like singing or dancing. There is some swimsuit and underwear in modeling work.