Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Aug 13, 2018 - 4:42 AM   
 By:   Christian K   (Member)

I am hearing the iTunes release has the same problem as well. Whatever the problem is, it likely goes all the way back to the source master files and not necessarily the lossless album that's being sold. Hope it gets addressed soon.

Bergersen on his FB:

"There will be a high quality lossless version later this year."

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2014500391927094&id=147900228587129&comment_id=2014681131909020&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D

Hopefully on CD, too. Boggles the mind, however, why he didn't do this right from the beginning. I mean, it's all digital, can't be too hard to supply the FLAC files, either original or corrected, in a timely fashion. Unless 2SfH is using very slow FTPs?

Posted:   Aug 13, 2018 - 5:32 AM   
 By:   Drawgoon   (Member)

Bergersen on his FB:

It takes that long to address something like this? I hope this doesn't mean they are about to redo a good chunk of this work from scratch.

Posted:   Aug 13, 2018 - 8:51 AM   
 By:   Zimnica_majstor   (Member)

Bergersen on his FB:

It takes that long to address something like this? I hope this doesn't mean they are about to redo a good chunk of this work from scratch.

The FB answer is from August 1st it seems, I'm not sure he even had in mind the bad quality files we got (when he typed that). Whatever the case might be, it's baffling to send a 128 kbps "master" to every known digital storefront out there.

Posted:   Aug 13, 2018 - 11:20 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

The main figure that repeats throughout keeps reminding me of Williams' Out to Sea theme....

It's a pity about the sound quality. The writing is very dynamic and would be better suited to a higher bitrate for sure.

One thing I respect is Bergersen's trumpet writing. Unlike so many composers, he doesn't write them in the stratosphere but I do believe I remember reading he actually plays trumpet so perhaps that's why he knows how to write for them.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2018 - 12:38 AM   
 By:   Christian K   (Member)

The main figure that repeats throughout keeps reminding me of Williams' Out to Sea theme....

It's a pity about the sound quality. The writing is very dynamic and would be better suited to a higher bitrate for sure.

One thing I respect is Bergersen's trumpet writing. Unlike so many composers, he doesn't write them in the stratosphere but I do believe I remember reading he actually plays trumpet so perhaps that's why he knows how to write for them.

Since I've got you here, Mr Coscina... Would you mind listening to "It's a Wrap" that I linked to on the thread's first page and tell me whether a composition like this could actually be played/sung by an orchestra and choir? With all the secondary (and even tertiary!) lines, it would boggle my mind. I guess it would have to be performed and recorded with separate sections?

Ta! smile