Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 6, 2018 - 8:26 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

What a pleasant surprise!

A wonderfully atmospheric symphonic score for this modern film noir, kind of Herrmann meets BadalamentiĀ“s Blue Velvet.

Has anybody seen the film and checked out the score, too?

Posted:   Dec 6, 2018 - 8:28 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

No, the film is on my to-see list; even if my colleagues who saw it at the premiere were lukewarm. I really liked what Rich Vreeland did for IT FOLLOWS, so I'm curious about what he did for this. Sounds like a completely different soundscape.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2018 - 9:47 AM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

I have been looking forward to this film for some time and it appears to have been delayed again in the U.S., to April 2019.

Milan has had three sample tracks available on youtube for some time. The score appears to be fully or primarily orchestral and very impressive so far!

Very nice Farewell to Lovely-like sounds from this one:

Posted:   Dec 6, 2018 - 9:49 AM   
 By:   Scott Bettencourt   (Member)

It is strange. They pushed it to the end of 2018, seemingly thinking it has Oscar chances, then moved it to 2019 as if to say "Nah, not so much."

A very Weinstein-ish move.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2018 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

apparently this film is mostly a disaster indulgence piece by this director who started believing himself the second coming of Kubrick or something, it will end up straight to Netflix probably

Posted:   Dec 6, 2018 - 10:27 PM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

apparently this film is mostly a disaster indulgence piece by this director who started believing himself the second coming of Kubrick or something, it will end up straight to Netflix probably

"Apparently"?

Nonsense. It is a film that would get lost in the onslaught of big budget movies or arthouse darlings at Christmas since it "only" stars the wonderful Andrew Garfield (who isn't a household name nor a big star) and itĀ“s a quirky modern noir meets David Lynch, something movie audiences just don't appreciate anymore.

During its festival premiere it was receiving the kind of mixed response one expects from this kind of film. People who love it, people who don't respond to it.

Even Paul Thomas Anderson could not get "Inherent Vice" (with more starpower AND built-in Oscar pedigree) to either generate good reviews or award attention. So the decision was made that "Under the Silver Lake" would be delayed for the US market.

In Europe, it is already in release.

And, back to the score: this is one really great surprise. One of the best new scores of the year.