Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 9, 2004 - 10:13 AM   
 By:   Fernando Gimenez   (Member)

I'm listening right now to this magnificent score by Elmer Bernstein. Full of unforgettable motifs and themes, this is truly a gem of a score. And my favourite pirate music for sure
What are your thoughts on this one?

Posted:   Apr 9, 2004 - 1:06 PM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

I am still in the middle of delving deeper into the Bernstein catalogue this year and BUCCANEER was one I knew I needed to purchase. There is much to enjoy in the score, so much melody, though it didn't thrill me as much his Westerns do.

Posted:   Apr 9, 2004 - 1:23 PM   
 By:   Joe Caps   (Member)

Bernstein was, as he himself admitted, still in the De Mille Ten Commandments mode for this film. Incidentally, that is not the Paramount orchestra cuz this wass recorded during the strike, This was recorded in Mexico with a pickup orchestra.

Posted:   Apr 9, 2004 - 7:51 PM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

I haven't heard or seen this one often or recently, but when I did I enjoyed the score immensely, The Ten Commandments-like moments and all, as I did the rest of the film (though not quite so much as the original 1938 version with Fredric March). I wish I had it.

NP: "The Pink Panther Theme" by Henry Mancini

Posted:   Apr 9, 2004 - 11:51 PM   
 By:   Bill Finn   (Member)

Great score, literally stacked with themes and motifs and colorful orchestration. It's a total up time when listenening to it.

That wonderful love theme was later quoted (either deliberately or accidentally) by Trevor Jones in his Nate And Hayes score, at least the first 5 notes. Probably on purpose since it was even orchestrated in the Bernstein manner.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2004 - 3:01 AM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

That wonderful love theme was later quoted (either deliberately or accidentally) by Trevor Jones in his Nate And Hayes score, at least the first 5 notes. Probably on purpose since it was even orchestrated in the Bernstein manner.

Speaking of quoting "The Buccaneer," Elmer himself quoted the score, in his music for "Animal House." It's near the end of the movie, when John Belushi pops out of the fraternity float in the homecoming parade dressed as a . . . buccaneer, complete with cutlass and bandanna.

The jaunty march accompanying Belushi's pirate shenanigans is heard twice on the "Buccaneer" CD, first in the "Prelude" (at around 1:30) then in "Battle at New Orleans" (beginning at 2:15). It's not an exact note-for-note quotation, more of a variation, but it's unmistakable.

I'd love a complete score album of "Animal House," by the way. There's a lot of fun stuff in that one. I believe I heard the "Faber College Theme" in a TV commercial recently . . .

Posted:   Apr 10, 2004 - 9:50 PM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

I'm surprised no one mentioned THE BUCCANEER, either the earlier version from the 30's, starring Frederic March, or the later remake, with Yul Brynner, during the recent TCM documentary on Cecil B. DeMille. The Brynner version, nominally directed by Anthony Quinn, as I recall, has such a total DeMille feel to it, that it should have been credited to him.

And I love that wonderful Bernstein score, almost like a stylistic SON OF TEN COMMANDMENTS!

Posted:   Jun 10, 2004 - 8:04 PM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

Bernstein was, as he himself admitted, still in the De Mille Ten Commandments mode for this film. Incidentally, that is not the Paramount orchestra cuz this wass recorded during the strike, This was recorded in Mexico with a pickup orchestra.
-- Well, when I asked Elmer Bernstein (after he
had conducted his first concert in Glasgow with
the RSNO),"Who conducted THE BUCCANEER?", he
replied, quite straight-forwardly, "Kurt Graunke", which would seem to suggest to me
that the music for this film was recorded in
Munich.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2004 - 8:40 AM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

I have the tinny-sounding Columbia reissue LP. Is the current CD version significantly better?

Posted:   Jun 11, 2004 - 2:14 PM   
 By:   Fernando Gimenez   (Member)

I have the tinny-sounding Columbia reissue LP. Is the current CD version significantly better?

Sounds great to me!!!! (Don't have the LP, though)

Posted:   Jun 11, 2004 - 2:57 PM   
 By:   Melchior   (Member)

BTW,

if I remember right, the first version has a nice score by George Antheil.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2004 - 4:25 PM   

-- Well, when I asked Elmer Bernstein (after he
had conducted his first concert in Glasgow with
the RSNO),"Who conducted THE BUCCANEER?", he
replied, quite straight-forwardly, "Kurt Graunke", which would seem to suggest to me
that the music for this film was recorded in
Munich.

I remixed this film for stereo for Pioneer Laserdisc and we had the recording logs and legal papers for the film.
Elmer Bernstein is conducting. I could hear him talking between takes. This was recorded with a Mexican pickup orchestra.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2004 - 1:56 AM   
 By:   Todesmelodie   (Member)

I'd love a complete score album of "Animal House," by the way. .

Me too!! It's funny how comedy scores often get passed up. ("Airplane" would be nice as well).

Posted:   Jun 12, 2004 - 4:50 PM   

I remixed this film for stereo for Pioneer Laserdisc and we had the recording logs and legal papers for the film.
Elmer Bernstein is conducting. I could hear him talking between takes. This was recorded with a Mexican pickup orchestra.

-- OK, then may I quote from the cassette that was made available of a Q&A session that Mr Bernstein gave for the 'Society for the Preservation of Film Music'
in 1994, after a
person in the audience asks him for his recollections of THE BUCCANEER -
"It was an unhappy experience. There was a strike, a musicians' strike going on at the time; they took the recording of the film to Munich and I refused to conduct because I was a loyal union member and so I never conducted it.
DeMille liked it though, he was very nice about it and it was sort of a happy, swashbuckling score"
I can send you a copy of this cassette if you
don't happen to have it...

Posted:   Jun 12, 2004 - 7:45 PM   

Elmer is a great guy but his memory can be a bit off. He told me he did NOT do the 1960 stereo rerecording of Ten Commanments, but both records at Paramount pictures and dot noe Universal show that he did.
Anyway, why would Paramounts recording logs show wrong information for the Buccaneer. And why would an orchestra in Munich talk in Spanish and all of the cue numbers are called out in Spanish and not German?

Posted:   Jun 12, 2004 - 7:47 PM   

P. S> to last message from me -
DeMille could have hardly liked the score as he died in early 1959, long before The Buccaneer was scored.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2004 - 8:18 PM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

P. S> to last message from me -
DeMille could have hardly liked the score as he died in early 1959, long before The Buccaneer was scored.

According to the IMDB (and other sources I've seen), The Buccaneer came out in 1958 - December 1st, to be specific, which would have it less than two months before DeMille's reported January 21st, 1959 death, but presumably still enough time for him to have experienced the score, I'd have thought...

Posted:   Jun 13, 2004 - 6:29 PM   

Elmer is a great guy but his memory can be a bit off. He told me he did NOT do the 1960 stereo rerecording of Ten Commanments, but both records at Paramount pictures and dot noe Universal show that he did.
Anyway, why would Paramounts recording logs show wrong information for the Buccaneer. And why would an orchestra in Munich talk in Spanish and all of the cue numbers are called out in Spanish and not German?

I don't think Mr Bernstein's memory can be that bad! I refer now to the September 1985 edition of the Belgian publication Soundtrack! which contains an interview with Elmer at the scoring sessions of MARIE WARD in Germany. The interview was carried out by Matthias Budinger :
MB - "It's not the first time you have recorded in West Germany, is it?"
EB - "That is correct. I have been here before,
just once, at the same studios. In 1958, for THE
BUCCANEER."

How much more evidence do you need? As for your
peculiar remark that DeMille could not have heard THE BUCCANEER's music, I refer again to the SPFM cassette, which includes a passage where Mr Bernstein describes an incident between
himself, DeMille and Anthony Quinn (the director
of the film and, at the time, DeMille's son-in-law). Like I said, I can send you a copy of the cassette if you want to hear it for yourself...

Posted:   Jun 13, 2004 - 8:37 PM   

I don't think Mr Bernstein's memory can be that bad! I refer now to the September 1985 edition of the Belgian publication Soundtrack! which contains an interview with Elmer at the scoring sessions of MARIE WARD in Germany. The interview was carried out by Matthias Budinger :
MB - "It's not the first time you have recorded in West Germany, is it?"
EB - "That is correct. I have been here before,
just once, at the same studios. In 1958, for THE
BUCCANEER."

How much more evidence do you need? As for your
peculiar remark that DeMille could not have heard THE BUCCANEER's music, I refer again to the SPFM cassette, which includes a passage where Mr Bernstein describes an incident between
himself, DeMille and Anthony Quinn (the director
of the film and, at the time, DeMille's son-in-law). Like I said, I can send you a copy of the cassette if you want to hear it for yourself...

Again, the Paramount recording logs show Mexico for recording with Mr. Bernstein conducting and all of the cues are called out in spanish. Is that a small coincidence?

Posted:   Jun 14, 2004 - 2:11 AM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

Am I following this correctly?

The "Buccaneer" underscore tracks were recorded in Germany, and the soundtrack LP was done in Mexico?