Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 9, 2014 - 10:29 AM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

A bunch of stars went to Italy to make movies for that same reason. Unfortunately it would only be the former if you had to make a movie up in the Antarctica.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2014 - 3:42 PM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

But then there's Christopher Plummer. What on earth was he thinking?

“Paycheck + paid trip to Italy.”

Paycheck? The whole film only cost $234.65. How big a paycheck could it be? smile

Posted:   Feb 9, 2014 - 6:58 PM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

But then there's Christopher Plummer. What on earth was he thinking?

“Paycheck + paid trip to Italy.”

Paycheck? The whole film only cost $234.65. How big a paycheck could it be? smile

Plummer got $146.27, along with room and board at the hotel.

I believe the special effects budget was $37.50.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2014 - 7:15 PM   

I believe the special effects budget was $37.50.

They were robbed.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2014 - 7:18 PM   
 By:   Zoragoth   (Member)

I will unabashedly admit that I picked up STARCRASH on blu-ray when it came out recently, so finally got to see what Barry's music was supporting. I found the movie extremely entertaining. Yes, it's a major cheesefest, but it's got a colorful design schema, some fun special effects, and Caroline Munro at her most gorgeous.

For people who are capable of getting themselves in the mood for the pleasures it has to offer, I highly recommend it!

Posted:   Feb 9, 2014 - 7:19 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

No actually the SPECIAL EFFECTS budget of PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE IN 1958 WAS $37.50, THE SPECIAL EFFECTS BUDGET for STARCRASH IN 78 was $137.50-INFLATION.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2014 - 7:43 PM   

Yes, it's a major cheesefest, but it's got a colorful design scheme

You mean that 'floating city'? Ken Begg of 'Jabootu's Bad Movie Review' describes it thus:

"When we see the Floating City--WOW. This is supposed to be the Big Reveal, of course, and it pretty much sinks the picture all by itself. For the first time I wished I could see this in a theater, because the prop for the City is so monumentally awful that it deserves to be seen that way. It’s not so much that the ‘city’ itself resembles something from a ’70s Doctor Who episode, and appears to have been made of whatever junk and household items were available. (“Take this old thermos and glue it there. It will look fine after we paint it.”)

No, it’s the utterly, insanely garish color scheme they gave it. For some reason—most likely because that’s all they had left—they apparently used canisters of various metallic finish spray paint, starting on the bottom and switching colors whenever they ran out of the current hue. The result is perhaps the single most garish prop in sci-fi movie history. Behold the glory that is the Floating City."

Check out a picture here:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/kbegg/starcrashcity.jpg

Posted:   Feb 9, 2014 - 8:38 PM   
 By:   Zoragoth   (Member)

Yes, it's a major cheesefest, but it's got a colorful design scheme

You mean that 'floating city'? Ken Begg of 'Jabootu's Bad Movie Review' describes it thus:

Check out a picture here:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/kbegg/starcrashcity.jpg

Yep, that's what I mean! The whole movie is pretty colorful, though, and looks quite good in high def. That screen grab you link to doesn't quite do it justice.

Another aspect of the blu-ray release is the enclosed essay from a STARCRASH fan and expert who brazenly and unapologetically argues for its classic status!

Posted:   Feb 10, 2014 - 12:50 AM   

I'm glad you used the word 'brazenly'.