Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 27, 2005 - 4:13 PM   
 By:   Recordman   (Member)

“The True Story of the Civil War”(1956), won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Short Subject in 1956. It was a short visual history of the US Civil War utilizing 300-400 original photographs of the time (Gee, and Ken Burns probably thought he was the first!). The film’s score was by composer Ernest Gold who utilized themes, songs and instrumentation of the times and an original composition for Lincoln and Ford’s Theater. Elmer Bernstein was Music Supervisor for the film and it is narrated by Raymond Massey

The soundtrack to the film was released in 1958 on a beautifully produced Coral LP
(CRL-59100 - mono). The gatefold LP includes an inner 8 page booklet with photos of the Civil War and song lyrics. It has long been a high end LP collectible

This is one of Gold’s lesser known (and recorded) compositions, however his popular works include soundtracks for “Exodus”; “Judgment at Nuremberg”; “It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”, the beautiful “Ship of Fools” and my personal favorite, “On the Beach” which was recently rescued and released by FSM.

Mike

Posted:   Mar 27, 2005 - 7:53 PM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

Recordman,
I must be catching up with you. As with
CINDERFELLA, this is an LP that I have...
Great production, with the battlefield maps
and everything.
I do wonder, though, what Elmer Bernstein's
involvement as 'music supervisor' entailed.

Posted:   Mar 27, 2005 - 11:37 PM   
 By:   Valere   (Member)

Thank You, My friend. I guess That My Mercury/George Fennel recording is now eclipsed.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2005 - 12:17 AM   
 By:   Valere   (Member)

Recordman, what you do is kick us in the shiny CD pants, and remind us of that world that used to spin. Thank you, and please continue to, remind us, of where all those shiny 'lil things came from! Thank you! and may God be with you!

Posted:   Mar 28, 2005 - 1:12 AM   
 By:   Alexander Zambra   (Member)

Wow!! Recordman; that is one beautiful record!!
If it's the same LP once heard in a cassette a friend taped for me(?); does it have narration by Spencer Tracy and did Gold just arrange period anthems on it ; or did it have an original Gold recording on it also???
Anyway how beautifully preserved you have the cover!! And thanks for sharing these with us.
Alex

Posted:   Mar 28, 2005 - 1:44 AM   

[startquote from Valere]Thank You, My friend. I guess That My Mercury/George Fennel recording is now eclipsed.

Not eclipsed,Valere, just supplemented. What a landmark recording that was as well. Valere refers, I believe, to the audiophile stereo Mercury Living Presence double LP released in I believe 1959, titled
“The Civil War: Its Music and Its Sounds” by Frederick Fennell and the Eastman Wind Ensemble. Fennell received a medal from the Congressional Committee for the Centennial of the Civil War for this great two-volume set.
The Fennell album has been released on CD on Mercury (Phillips Classic Productions) 432 591-2; also Mercury Living Presence CMER 432591. Check Amazon. Here’s a link to photo of the Fennell CD:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/as60gif/MER-432591LG.jpg
Mike

Posted:   Mar 28, 2005 - 1:54 AM   

[startquote from Alex]does it have narration by Spencer Tracy and did Gold just arrange period anthems on it ; or did it have an original Gold recording on it also???

Alex
As above,THE TRUE STORY OF CIVIL WAR, is narrated by Raymond Massey. I know Spencer Tracy narrated "How the West Was Won", which included much similar period music as well (that narration remained on the initial Sony CD for HTWWW, but not the Rhino 2 CD set). Most of the TRUE STORY album is period arrangements by Gold, with the only original Gold music being for tracks concerning Lincoln's assassination at Ford's Therter.
Mike