Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 3:36 PM   
 By:   crimedog   (Member)

http://nbcumv.com/release_detail.nbc/sports-20060830000000-legendarycomposerj.html

"NBC Sunday Night Football" Theme Music to Debut Sept. 7 on Inaugural NBC Regular Season Broadcast
"It has been great fun and a rare privilege to have been asked to contribute music for NBC's broadcast of one of our country's greatest traditions – football!" said Williams. "The outstanding athletes that play this game are similar to our great musicians in that they all require complete dedication and rigorous daily practice to stay sharp. I can also say that the members of our orchestra are all avid football fans and they were very excited when, on the day we recorded this music, we were visited by Al Michaels.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 3:59 PM   
 By:   Rnelson   (Member)

I'm not so excited about this, being the football traditionalist that I am. These themes have a certain corniness about them which just suits the sport. I mean, nothing says football like the old "Duh-duh-duh-duhhhh" of the old Monday Night Football (a theme I guess they sold ato ESPN along with the rest of that property).

Let's see/hear what Williams has done.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 4:04 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Wow, I had no idea Williams had written anything like this (I know he has written music for NBC news before, but not this). Thanks for the heads-up.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 4:11 PM   
 By:   drivingmissdaisy   (Member)

I'm looking forward to hearing this, also James Horner did Katie Couric's new theme to her show that debuts in september as well. YAH

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 5:28 PM   
 By:   Filmscorecollecter   (Member)

I'm looking forward to hearing this, also James Horner did Katie Couric's new theme to her show that debuts in september as well. YAH

A new CBS News theme?

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 6:17 PM   
 By:   scoringsessions   (Member)

Williams recorded the theme at the Sony Scoring Stage on July 5, 2006. Unfortunately, it was a closed session. wink

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 6:21 PM   

Filmscorecollector, not sure on how much Horner composed I know he did the new Katie Couric theme and I think I heard that some of that theme or another theme may be used elsewhere on news and stuff. Sorry I don't know more. A google search may give you more info. Thanks

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 6:40 PM   
 By:   scoringsessions   (Member)

Filmscorecollector, not sure on how much Horner composed I know he did the new Katie Couric theme and I think I heard that some of that theme or another theme may be used elsewhere on news and stuff. Sorry I don't know more. A google search may give you more info. Thanks

I think he was kidding, based on the wink in his post.

In any case, Horner recorded all manner of "identity" themes, bumpers, etc., from what I was able to glean.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 7:39 PM   
 By:   thx99   (Member)

Here's a site which features an MP3 of Williams' theme:
http://broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6367039.html

Or here's a direct link to the MP3:
http://broadcastingcable.com/contents/video/SNF_Theme.mp3

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 8:03 PM   

Thanks for the info. I wasn't kidding, I'm just used to clicking on that wink for every post. I should get out of that habit! Thanks again. wink There it goes again!

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 9:10 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

Wow. From the sound of it, Johnny takes his football SERIOUSLY. His new theme seems to me an effective distillation of prior NFL music we've heard, in the same way that his "Superman" march recalled the original radio-show/Fleischer-cartoon theme (plus maybe the Universal Studios logo, and other things).

Now what we need is a Bill-Murray-style set of lyrics to go with it. ("Star Wars, nothing but STAR Wars . . .")

Here's the phrase I keep hearing in the new tune:

"It's SUN-day Night FOOT . . . BALL . . ."

Or maybe:

"Here's N-bc FOOT . . . BALL . . ."

Let's get to work on the rest, everybody.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 9:16 PM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

Here's a site which features an MP3 of Williams' theme:
http://broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6367039.html

Or here's a direct link to the MP3:
http://broadcastingcable.com/contents/video/SNF_Theme.mp3

Sounds like Great Battle music from a STAR WARS Movie.

Hey, it's John Williams. He could score a guy taking a dump and it would sound awesome.

Zoob

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 9:30 PM   

Hey, it's John Williams. He could score a guy taking a dump and it would sound awesome.

Zoob

Yeah, "Star Dumps" or "War of the Dumps." Okay, that made no sense. It does sound a lot like a "SW" selection, though.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 9:42 PM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

The maestro certainly does speak fluent press release.

lk

Posted:   Aug 30, 2006 - 11:41 PM   
 By:   Adam S.   (Member)

Zoob

Williams seems to recognize that war and the NFL seem to go hand in hand. Not only with the NFL Film montages which are narrated and scored like a WWII documentary but just in terms of the language that is always used around football. "Battle in the trenches", "the long bomb", "blitz", etc. I'm not surprised JW went that route with the music, which seems to conjure up opposing warriars preparing for battle.

- Adam

Posted:   Aug 31, 2006 - 12:27 AM   

I tell you what soundtrack.net is on the ball, they seem to know a lot of whats scoring whos scoring and when and where, I love it. I myself find the whole thing so fascinating, I could easily sit down with soundtrack.net for hours and just talk and talk about the whole process of film scoring and such. Keep up the excellent work, as I'm one fan you've had since your site used to be filmmusic.com. Great job as always!!

Posted:   Aug 31, 2006 - 1:13 AM   
 By:   ANZALDIMAN   (Member)

The NFL had a "voice" in it's music LONG before John Williams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7837248

Posted:   Aug 31, 2006 - 1:32 AM   
 By:   Rexor   (Member)

I always liked the NFL's use of music. In the documentary, "Tight on the Spiral" (see link below), the president of NFL films, Steve Sabol, talked about how film and TV music, particularly stuff from "Victory at Sea" and "Peter Gunn" influenced the music of NFL films. I'm sure that JW has had an influence too. wink

http://www.njnsecure.com/njnvideo/tightspiral.html

-Rexor

PS: I love Sam Spence's "Round Up" and "Up She Rises" and ... the "Raiders."

Posted:   Aug 31, 2006 - 2:02 AM   
 By:   ANZALDIMAN   (Member)

I always liked the NFL's use of music. In the documentary, "Tight on the Spiral" (see link below), the president of NFL films, Steve Sabol, talked about how film and TV music, particularly stuff from "Victory at Sea" and "Peter Gunn" influenced the music of NFL films. I'm sure that JW has had an influence too. wink

http://www.njnsecure.com/njnvideo/tightspiral.html

-Rexor

PS: I love Sam Spence's "Round Up" and "Up She Rises" and ... the "Raiders."

Yes.

Good stuff.

And to think it took a topic on Williams to bring attention to some pretty good overlooked NFL Films Music.

Posted:   Aug 31, 2006 - 3:32 AM   
 By:   The_Mark_of_Score-O   (Member)

"NBC Sunday Night Football" Theme Music to Debut Sept. 7 on Inaugural NBC Regular Season Broadcast
"It has been great fun and a rare privilege to have been asked to contribute music for NBC's broadcast of one of our country's greatest traditions – football!" said Williams. "The outstanding athletes that play this game are similar to our great musicians in that they all require complete dedication and rigorous daily practice to stay sharp. I can also say that the members of our orchestra are all avid football fans and they were very excited when, on the day we recorded this music, we were visited by Al Michaels.

Oh, puh-leeze.

300-pounds defensive linemen are like musicians (tuba players, maybe)?

And no less than 100% of the players at the session are football fans? Was that a requirement, then? If so, it sounds like a breach of the AFM contract and U.S. law akin to an employer requiring all employees to sign an anti-Communist loyalty oath.

The fact is that neither John Williams nor Ludwig van Beethoven is a good enough composer to provide music that can persuade the less-than-gullible that U.S. football is anything less than stupid.

And that goes double for Katie Couric.