Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 24, 2008 - 9:11 AM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

Cook definitely had bona fide correspondence with Newman, Darby, Raksin, Friedhofer, Rozsa, Bernstein, and probably others. He quoted some of these letters in his column -- sometimes without attribution. Could he have planted prank quotations as well? Anything is possible, but it seems unlikely. Attributing bogus statements to a living correspondent would have been counterproductive as well as unwise.

Has Cook's correspondence been archived? I seem to recall something about a collection at the U. of Wyoming.

Posted:   Jan 24, 2008 - 9:34 AM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

.....Cook definitely had bona fide correspondence with Newman, Darby, Raksin, Friedhofer, Rozsa, Bernstein, and probably others. He quoted some of these letters in his column -- sometimes without attribution. Could he have planted prank quotations as well? Anything is possible, but it seems unlikely. Attributing bogus statements to a living correspondent would have been counterproductive as well as unwise.

Has Cook's correspondence been archived? I seem to recall something about a collection at the U. of Wyoming.....

To the best of my recollection, James D'Arc of Brigham Young University wanted Cook's various correspondence very much for the film music collection archived there, and I believe the executor of Cook's estate did, indeed, send it there.

Posted:   Jan 24, 2008 - 9:32 PM   
 By:   JSWalsh   (Member)

I think we should raise a fund for Max to get some top people to engineer enough evidence for him to write the first retrospective book on the ALAN FIVEHOUSE franchise. Clearly no-one else is more qualified.

Whaddaya mean, "engineer evidence"? wink

Posted:   Jan 26, 2008 - 7:08 AM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

Ten or so of Hugo Friedhofer's letters to Cook are reproduced in the oral history volume that Linda Danly edited concerning that composer.

Posted:   Jan 26, 2008 - 8:01 AM   
 By:   scottthompson   (Member)

Another recollection of Page Cook- the infamous "bete noir" (black dog?) award given to the most horrid score reviewed in his column, won often by Maurice Jarre, whom he referred to as Mssr. Jarre.

SCOTT

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 5:38 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

As mentioned by Scott, one composer he briefly championed was Edward David Zeliff, who's lone work available on LP, THE LIVING WORD, is terrific.

If Mr. Zeliff is out there and reading, I'd love to know what is going on with your career and would love to hear some more music by you, especially PILATE'S EASTER.

Alive and still writing lovely stuff, it seems.

This is a world premiere of a piece, in July 2011.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2012 - 9:31 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

Nice to see a revival of this thread about a peculiar nut.