Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 28, 2017 - 4:10 AM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

Sienkiewicz is an amazing talent. Admittedly, I was initially turned off by his style, but I later came to appreciate his great talent. This is the work where I started to really appreciate his work:

Great story too.

Posted:   Nov 28, 2017 - 1:29 PM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

I first fell in love with Sienkiewicz way back in '79 with his Moonknight backup in the color Hulk Magazine.

(um, obviously not his art here, but I still associate it with him.)

Then everything posted so far, plus the great Shadow art (DC, I know). And his storybook about Santa Claus in the 90's....

Diversions OTGK has a great post about his early Moonknight work: http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2010/01/making-splash-bill-sienkiewiczs-early.html

Posted:   Nov 29, 2017 - 1:13 PM   
 By:   Gordon Reeves   (Member)

He’s the ONLIEST artist

who approximated and came the closest

to equaling Mr. Miller’s incomparable original version

of this groundbreaking

Anti-Heroine.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2017 - 1:41 PM   
 By:   Gordon Reeves   (Member)

If one wanted to ignite a raging dispute that would rival Vesuvius in its molten intensity, try choosing which Marvel Death of the mid-80s was the most significant. Many no doubt would unhesitantly choose “The Phoenix Saga”, possibly the crowning achievement of the incredible Claremont-Byrne era.

[Mind you, while that might be close, we’d definitively disagree (especially since the conclusion was super-imposed by Emperor-Dictator Shooter and wasn’t what the creators originally intended. ]

We’d say the supreme seminal choice would be the truly tragic (in the inevitable original Greek sense, as they invented the genre for civilizations immemorial after)

masterpiece Frank Miller so brilliantly and unforgettably brought forth

through his consummate creation

called ‘Elektra’.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2017 - 7:18 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Mind you, while that might be close, we’d definitively disagree (especially since the conclusion was super-imposed by Emperor-Dictator Shooter and wasn’t what the creators originally intended. ]

In this instance, Shooter was correct. I would have despised the cop out version originally intended by Claremont-Byrne.

Plus, we would have been denied The Watcher's eloquent, moving, and spot-on summation in issue #137.

Imposing limits can lead to even greater works of expression, at least in this case.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2017 - 7:40 AM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

For me, this was the death that had the most impact on me from a Marvel comic in the '80s:

Although Elektra's death and Jean Grey's death were both incredibly powerful, they had both been killed off before I started reading comics. Thanks to spoilers from later comics I knew both Jean and Elektra had died well before I was able to read the respective story that killed them off. So as great as those stories were, they simply didn't have the same power they would have had had I gone into the story cold. Kraven's Last Hunt I read as the issues came out, so Kraven's death was a big shock to me. And to Marvel's credit, they kept him dead for quite a while.