Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 29, 2009 - 2:39 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

This is another series that I have vague memories of as a kid in the 80's, watching bits and pieces of the reruns on Sky Channel or Super Channel. And curiously, the one episode I do remember fragments of is the very one I've watched now, the first episode titled "Rendezvous With Yesterday" (scientists accidentally ending up on TITANIC!).

Again, it's all very "cheeseball" and even my greatest efforts at suspending disbelief failed miserably. It just becomes too hokey. I mean, they get visual feed from where? Where the camera is filming?!? And what about that crocodile with cardboard tags on its back towards the end? Is that supposed to be a dinosaur? Sorry to all you 60's kids who grew up with it, but I'm too old and too non-American for this; plus it's not my genre in the first place.

That said, it's not without values. The sets have a certain appeal, in a Fritz Lang-meets-James Bond-kind of way. The Titanic sets, too. Although not Jim Cameron-fidelity, it still shows that they did their research in recreating the staircase and kids playing with pieces of ice on deck, among other things. And the looks of the captain.

Williams' music is interesting. On the one hand, it's VERY dated with shock zooms and ├╝berdramatic stingers a la this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40

For example, when the TITANIC logo is spotted on the wall.

On the other hand, it has some superb suspense writing, quite progressive, such as the main title music - a funky slap bass underscores a repeating, undulating figure.

I believe a great many composers worked on this and that this remains the only Williams-scored episode?

Posted:   Jun 29, 2009 - 2:46 PM   
 By:   Charles Thaxton   (Member)

One of my favorite series...the DVDs look superb. I was really moved during THE DAY THE SKY FELL IN when Tony's father dies in his arms...after years of not knowing what became of his father at Pearl Harbor.James Darren's acting here shines, as does Robert Colbert (with just his face expressions). One of the few moments in the show where emotions really featured.
Many of the later episodes used stock Herrmann stuff like GARDEN OF EVIL, KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES, DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (for alien shows).

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 1:23 PM   

So is Charles the only TIME TUNNEL fan in here?

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 1:37 PM   
 By:   Stefan Miklos   (Member)

So is Charles the only TIME TUNNEL fan in here?

Nope. I adore it too: I bought the CD and the DVD and I wish LLL could release the complete scores. Some scores that I amire more: Lynn Murray's "One Way to the Moon" and "End of the World". Williams' score is perfect, especially the little ragtime tune during track #2 (cue "Titanic Trot") that is linked by the dreamlike music. Oddly, that ragtime interlude reminds me the one from Frontiere's "Don't Open Till Doomsday".

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 1:40 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

It's an Irwin Allen show. That pretty much tells you what to expect. Great themes and good scores for pretty cheesy comic book stuff. I still like VOYAGE, though, up to a certain point.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 1:45 PM   

It's an Irwin Allen show. That pretty much tells you what to expect. Great themes and good scores for pretty cheesy comic book stuff. I still like VOYAGE, though, up to a certain point.

Can you elaborate the nuance "up to a cetain point"?
I can't bear the kiddy series LIS and LOTG.
Only VOYAGE and TUNNEL work for me.
Prepare to dive, Mr. Johnson!

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 1:45 PM   
 By:   MRAUDIO   (Member)

I always enjoyed THE TIME TUNNEL - I picked up the DVD's and I also have the Irwin Allen CD boxed set...pretty good show and scores for its time...:-)

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 1:50 PM   

Can you elaborate the nuance "up to a cetain point"?
I can't bear the kiddy series LIS and LOTG.
Only VOYAGE and TUNNEL work for me.
Prepare to dive, Mr. Johnson!

I'll grant you TIME TUNNEL was better than LIS and LOTG. As I've stated before, VOYAGE was almost painful to watch by it's final season.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 1:56 PM   

I'll grant you TIME TUNNEL was better than LIS and LOTG. As I've stated before, VOYAGE was almost painful to watch by it's final season.

Alright, right on the nose, rig for silent running, Mr. Johnson.
If you like espionage intrigues, you can watch at least these season 4 offerings: "Man with Many Faces", "Rescue", "Blow Up".

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 6:25 PM   
 By:   Jeff Bond   (Member)

I love Voyage for the music and mainly for the special effects--but I think Lost in Space was the only Irwin Allen show that actually knew what it was doing. It was a children's show, plain and simple, and worked marvelously on that level. I love it's outre craziness. The other Allen shows are just too straight-faced, ironically enough, to take seriously. They're charmless, but I find LIS very charmING.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 6:31 PM   

I love Voyage for the music and mainly for the special effects--but I think Lost in Space was the only Irwin Allen show that actually knew what it was doing. It was a children's show, plain and simple, and worked marvelously on that level. I love it's outre craziness. The other Allen shows are just too straight-faced, ironically enough, to take seriously. They're charmless, but I find LIS very charmING.

Maybe, but some of us found it insufferably ignorant. I do now and I did when I was a pre-adolescent.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 7:18 PM   
 By:   GladVlad   (Member)

I just loved the music of TT and VTTBOTS. Alex Courage and L. Stevens were my favs.

Though I loved the Goldsmith score for VTTBOTS second season premiere episode!

Unfortunately, we might never see the release of more music on cds, even if they would be available for productions.
FSM don't seem to be interested, nor GNP Crescendo.

Alex Courage music was dark, mysterious and aggressive. I just loved it.

The editing out (on GNP) of last action sequence in The first Star Trek episode (with Shatner) was my worst frustration so far concerning a soundtrack.
The score was briliant, but the cue was oustanding. Was not on cd. I was disgusted.

As hearing Dunning score as the second episode on the TT cd. It's not even a good one!

Stevens, Murray, Drasnin, Sawtell had better scores.
Sometimes I wonder who is behind some GNP choices...

Stephen

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 9:14 PM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

I always loved THE TIME TUNNEL to hear the stock music---and it was also interesting to me for the subject matter because, when you knew that, you knew from what old Fox film they would be lifting endless stock footage. If you knew your movie history you could usually guess the old movie from the title of the episode. It was always fascinating to see how they'd piece every episode together from this random stuff.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2009 - 10:03 PM   
 By:   mark ford   (Member)

I liked all the Irwin Allen shows when I was a kid, but LIS was my favorite. Let's face it, there was almost no Sci-Fi or fantasy of any kind on US TV at that time when it came out so it was something I latched onto as an elementary school kid.

I remember writing CBS asking them to send me some pictures of the Jupiter 2, The Robot, the ray guns, etc. and enclosed a couple of quarters (probably 2 weeks of allowance) to help pay for them. What seemed like months later I got a big envelope with a post card of the cast in their silver space suits with my money attached to it with a big paper clip. I recall being upset because this was my newest prized possession and it got a big crease in it from the paper clip. frown

The next year Batman came on and the first of the 2 part episodes aired during the first half of LIS so I was forced to make a choice and it ended up being Batman which I became a huge fan of. That meant me only seeing the second half of the LIS episodes and having to wait until the summer reruns to see the full shows.

Anyway, I loved LIS and it was probably one of the biggest influences on me, outside the Herrmann fantasy scores, in kindling my love of film/TV music (it turned out it was Williams' music that did it for me). Also of importance to me was Will Robinson, in whom I finally found a character near my age that I could relate to. I, like Will, was one of those super smart kids (although I never used any of those smarts in school!) and I was taught the same manners he used when dealing with adults, so he definitely was someone I felt a strong kinship to. Plus, I had always wanted to go into space since I was a little boy, as was the case for many during the US space program boom, so what character could be more perfect for me to latch onto! Bless you Lennier, er I mean, Bill Mumy!

In the end it all became a bit moot as I instantly became an insane fan of Star Trek from day one when it came out in '66 and it slowly bumped those other two favorites of mine WAY down.

Amyway, thanks for putting up with my long, somewhat off-topic post allowing me a walk down memory lane!

Posted:   Jul 3, 2009 - 7:21 AM   
 By:   Charles Thaxton   (Member)

it was always amusing how Tony & Doug would land at some epic battle represented by stock Fox footage of thousands of soldiers/warriors fighting some battle, then they would get attacked by a couple of skinny bearded stuntmen in dusty costumes from the original footage. LOL

Posted:   Jul 3, 2009 - 8:10 AM   

Everyone please hold their thoughts on LIS. I'll be making a thread on that shortly! smile

Posted:   Jul 3, 2009 - 8:21 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

I'm sure there are some Titanic buffs who prefer Irwin Allen's take to James Cameron's!

One of my all-time favourite title sequences (the guy in the hourglass being buried)... and you have to give them credit for the finale of "Chase Through Time." Tony, Doug, saboteur Robert Duvall [who's hidden a bomb in Project TIC-TOC that's been deactivated, this being the final act] and a pair of guest aliens are in an enormous beehive with the bees coming back; the aliens beam out, then Tony and Doug, but Dr. McGregor can't get a fix on Duvall! Meanwhile he's crouching down in a corner as the sound of the returning swarm gets louder and louder... fade out. What a horrible way to go, but what an effective way to end an episode!

Posted:   Jul 3, 2009 - 1:06 PM   
 By:   mark ford   (Member)

Everyone please hold their thoughts on LIS. I'll be making a thread on that shortly! smile

OK. I'll just cut and paste my post when you do, it'll save me some typing!

By the way, is the post directly above by CindyLover a document released as part of the freedom of information act with a little editing? Just wondering what the mark out is for out of general curiosity. I know I've seen it here before.

Posted:   Jul 3, 2009 - 4:45 PM   
 By:   Jeff Bond   (Member)

I think I wrote a description of The Time Tunnel once which was "two scientists get into fistfights with various important people from history."

Lost in Space is only ignorant if you grade it as science fiction, which is something I felt proud of myself for doing when I was 12 (I still kept watching the show of course). The show is a fantasy comedy of a type that could only have been made during the naivete of the sixties and that is its charm. LIS has characters, even if they are caricatures--Will, the Robot and Dr. Smith are a great comedy team. It's just goofy fun. The other shows are just extremely flat in their characterization despite featuring some good actors (wonderful actors in the case of Richard Basehart). Most of them get into situations that are every bit as ludicrous as the ones on LIS, they just don't acknowledge it because Allen (much like 3rd season Trek's Fred Freiberger) decreed that there be no humor in those shows.

Posted:   Jul 3, 2009 - 7:08 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

I'm sure there are some Titanic buffs who prefer Irwin Allen's take to James Cameron's!

Amen to that. Heck, in the scene when Jack was locked in and trapped, I immediately wanted to shout ""TIME TUNNEL PILOT RIP-OFF!" (Just one among many things about that film that made me irate).