Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 10, 2011 - 10:15 AM   
 By:   scorechaser   (Member)

Boy! Out of pure curiosity, I saw a couple of episodes of the tv show WINGS today on youtube, and then it came back to me, how much I loved the show back then, when I was in the States (Seattle, 1994-1995). I remember how I loved watching the show in my dormitory room.

Great show! I absolutely loved Tony Shalhoub and Thomas Hayden Church.

Any fans of "WINGS"?

Posted:   Jun 10, 2011 - 11:24 AM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

Wings is one of my all-time favorite shows. Sad that it seems to be mostly forgotten these days. The DVDs were released with little fanfare, and the occasional rerun I see is usually relegated to around the 3-4AM timeslots on cable. Still, a hilariously funny show with one of the best sitcom ensembles. Everybody plays off each other so well. And it's the only thing where I can tolerate Church, who was terrific as dim-witted Lowell. (The show wasn't quite the same after he left in the later seasons, but was still funny.)

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 9:44 AM   
 By:   welwynfilmstudios   (Member)

Mill Creek Entertainment have posted information at their public website that on October 1st they will release a 3-DVD set of Wings - The Complete Seasons 1 and 2. This title was first released in 2006 (on four discs, for $39.95 SRP) by CBS/Paramount, and all eight seasons of the popular sitcom made it to DVD in the three years which followed. Now Mill Creek has picked up the license for this show and is re-releasing the first 28 episodes (six from the very short first season, and all 22 from the second season) at the same 642-minute running time for a mere $14.98 SRP!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wings-Seasons-1-2/18942

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 6:06 PM   
 By:   SBD   (Member)

I watched quite a bit of it when it was on USA. Pretty funny.

I could never abide the Sandy Cooper episode. That's not a typo; they did indeed remake the same episode five times: Joe says Sandy's crazy, but no one believes him, Sandy proves she's crazy, Joe manages to get away from her and she gets away with it. Ugh.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Carlton Blanchard episodes were a riot. William Hickey was a treasure.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 6:12 PM   

I could never abide the Sandy Cooper episode. That's not a typo; they did indeed remake the same episode five times: Joe says Sandy's crazy, but no one believes him, Sandy proves she's crazy, Joe manages to get away from her and she gets away with it. Ugh.

Yeah, I hated those episodes. Couldn't stand that character and all she'd always get away with, while poor Joe was the one who looked crazy.

Mill Creek Entertainment have posted information at their public website that on October 1st they will release a 3-DVD set of Wings - The Complete Seasons 1 and 2. This title was first released in 2006 (on four discs, for $39.95 SRP) by CBS/Paramount, and all eight seasons of the popular sitcom made it to DVD in the three years which followed. Now Mill Creek has picked up the license for this show and is re-releasing the first 28 episodes (six from the very short first season, and all 22 from the second season) at the same 642-minute running time for a mere $14.98 SRP!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wings-Seasons-1-2/18942

That's good news, since I never got around to buying the first DVD sets. However, I wonder if Mill Creek will do what they did with Hunter. They started with season sets, re-releasing the first two individually (Anchor Bay did them first), then it was like they just said "screw it" and released a Complete Series box set. I'll hold off on this new release for a bit to see what their plans are for the subsequent seasons.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 7:35 PM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

I really need to check this show out. I need a new funny sitcom! Currently rewatching and loving Spin City, but have been looking for one I've never seen before.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 7:37 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

And, for the record, I liked Wings back in the day.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 8:21 PM   
 By:   Adam B.   (Member)

I really watched the show to gawk at Crystal Bernard, who was quite the babe in her youth.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 9:05 PM   

I really watched the show to gawk at Crystal Bernard, who was quite the babe in her youth.

Oh yeah. I had a big crush on her back then. smile

Posted:   Sep 9, 2013 - 1:23 AM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

So, Michael24,

You couldn't stand Thomas Haden Church in his Oscar-nominated performance in SIDEWAYS?

For a while there, I was beginning every morning happily tuning into one particular cable network that was re-running back to back episodes of WINGS and BECKER, another wonderful show. Lately, I find myself marvellng at the brilliance and the cleverness of the comedy in FRASIER.

And yes, Crystal Bernhard is a cutie-pie. Ditto Farrah Forke.

Posted:   Sep 9, 2013 - 6:35 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Yes, oh yes, Crystal Bernard...