Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 12, 2014 - 5:20 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

It was an art, indeed, to get a balanced compilation tape or not to under/over-run the length of the tape but practice made perfect ... helped, no end, by a decent tape deck!

My method was fool proof. Well, fool resistant!

Record tracks on side A of the tape until you know there are six or seven minutes left, then turn the tape over and whilst playing the track you want to close the tape with on your record player, "play" side B for the length (plus a few seconds) of said track. When the track finishes, stop "playing" the tape, turn it back onto side A and record your track. The end of the recording should finish a few seconds before the tape finishes.

Then, go back and time the gap between the last track and the track you recorded before leaving the six or seven minute gap, by "playing" the silent tape. All you then have to do is find a track a few seconds shorter than the gap and record it.

What you're left with is a perfect fit, without leaving a huge gap at the end of a tape. Then repeat for side B, being careful not to record over anything you've already put on side A. I did this countless times and it never failed. The only trouble was, it worked so well and was so slick that (although I was longing for someone to ask how I did it) nobody noticed how cool it was.

Story of my life.

Still, it's out in the open now - some 35 years later. Great advice for any retro fanatics!

Posted:   May 12, 2014 - 5:40 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Wow, wish I'd had that recipe back in the day.

Posted:   May 12, 2014 - 5:43 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

Bloody hell that sounds complicated. I used to see how many minutes I had left on the tape, & search round for a track of that length. It was an art. I make up albums on my ipod by changing the album name of the track, 70's Mix 1, Main Titles, there's over 80 tracks on that, if only you could buy compilation film track LP's that were that good back in the "olden days".

Posted:   May 12, 2014 - 6:18 AM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

To you mates in the UK,i am glad you guys didn't have to put up with the voiceovers at the end credits there when you were a kid. Here in America they been doing that since the 70's. I can't tell you how when there was a great end theme coming up, suddenly a voiceover would start to talk about what is on next or the next night or some news event telling you to stay tuned for the upcoming newscast, how it got me mad .It was part of my reason and desired to become more interested in film music and less hearing the same top 40 song over and over again. I used to say I don't get this. There playing the mediocre melody on the radio into our heads over and over again and the great melody they won't even let us here at the end of the movie. Yes, opinion is opinion, but GOD, this is nuts.I remember thinking about that in the old days.

Posted:   May 12, 2014 - 7:04 AM   
 By:   pete   (Member)

New Sony cassette could store 47 million songs!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/08/tech/innovation/data-storage-cassette-tape-sony/

I'll be needing two.