Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 7, 2012 - 2:56 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Enough with the expansion talk already! I want to focus on the completely unreleased music by some of my favourite composers (at most a theme or brief suite on some compilation). Bootlegs don't count.

I've provided a list below (please let me know if I've left out something), and thought it would be interesting to do a "Top 3" most desired of these titles. Final man out for my part is Elliot Goldenthal (I hope someone takes the initiative from here on and creates similar threads for their own favourite artists):

FILMS:

STUDENT FILMS (allegedly about 20 films from NYU and others)
COCAINE COWBOYS
BLANK GENERATION
CRIMINAL JUSTICE
GRAND ISLE
FOOL'S FIRE
ROSWELL
VOICES (FROM A LOCKED ROOM) (adaptation & original music)
BATMAN & ROBIN
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (score)

CONCERT MUSIC:

GRENDEL
BRASS QUINTET NO. 1
PASTIME VARIATIONS
SHADOW PLAY SCHERZO

THEATRE:

THE KING STAG
LIBERTY'S TAKEN
THE TRANSPOSED HEADS
THE SERPENT WOMAN
THE TEMPEST
THE TAMING OF THE SHREW
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM
TITUS ANDRONICUS (the stage version, obviously)

My list would probably look like this:

1. BATMAN & ROBIN
2. FOOL'S FIRE
3. SHADOW PLAY SCHERZO

Posted:   Apr 7, 2012 - 3:00 AM   
 By:   JamesSouthall   (Member)

1. BATMAN & ROBIN
2. FOOL'S FIRE
3. SHADOW PLAY SCHERZO

So would mine, but with Grendel somewhere in there too.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2012 - 7:08 AM   

1. BATMAN & ROBIN
2. FOOL'S FIRE
3. SHADOW PLAY SCHERZO

So would mine, but with Grendel somewhere in there too.

I have a selection from GRENDEL in a shoddy-sounding format, and while it has many trademark Goldenthalisms, it's a little too 'rough' for my taste. Then again, I'm no big fan of contemporary operas. But yeah....it should obviously get a release.

I keep asking EG about his new label, Zarathustra Records, but it doesn't really seem to take off in terms of getting his older material out there.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2012 - 7:18 AM   
 By:   ToneRow   (Member)

I'm no big fan of contemporary operas.

Thor would have no interest in my opera collection! smile

Posted:   Apr 7, 2012 - 7:31 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

The score Voices From A Locked Room was given away at a dinner event after the film was finished. It was a very short score, something like 20 minutes?... and I think all but a cue or two were adaptations.

I actually had an image of the album and the track listing for years but lost it in a HDD crash.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2012 - 8:38 AM   
 By:   Sal. Berger   (Member)

Yeah, Voices was put out by Sony Classical as some kind of festival promo tape, I actually saw that on Ebay ages ago, but couldn't buy it then (I guess that was before Paypal)... goddammit!
IMDB has an interesting soundtrack list:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114866/soundtrack
Gigue Diabolique, a true Goldenthal, hu?

Very sad that there seems to be no perspective to get Batman&Robin soon. (But if it should happen some day, the announcement thread would have to be called again: Quit whining...! big grin)

I'd really love Zarathustra doing a wild 2CD sampler called "Early Works", with music from student films, theatre&dance, demos and what not, up to Blank Generation.

The concert pieces Shadow Play Scherzo and Pastime Variations were often mentioned in Sony Classical liner notes, but never released... The Sony program of releasing modern day composers has obviously dried up a little, they also don't release e.g. Corigliano anymore, rather another series of "star" interprets doing canon classical works. "Fire Water Paper" got a real luxury treatment back then, I suppose there was a dedicated producer really pushing the management in those days. Maybe Naxos could put out a Goldenthal... that would be another dream come true! After all they have a dedicated CD line for modern American composers and even released Corigliano's third symphony as a multi-channel bluray.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2012 - 8:52 AM   
 By:   orion_mk3   (Member)

I guess the flip side to Goldenthal being so un-prolific is that there's less of his stuff that's unreleased! I'd shell for any of these, but B&R is the obvious elephant in the room.

I do agree with Thor, though: I listened to the "Grendel" boot and found it pretty blasé. Of course I don't really like any opera anywhere ever aside from a few arias, but even then it would be nice to see a release, especially since Othello and Fire Water Paper are out there legitimately.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2012 - 9:31 AM   

I'd really love Zarathustra doing a wild 2CD sampler called "Early Works", with music from student films, theatre&dance, demos and what not, up to Blank Generation.

Damn, I forgot the student films (allegedly 20-something films). Added now.