Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 8, 2014 - 11:53 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

Piggy-backing on Ray's 2013 thread above, I've just discovered a splendid solo CD by Frederick Hodges: "MANHATTAN SERENADE - Piano Masterpieces of the Jazz Age," released in 2011.

It leads off with the aforementioned title track by Louis Alter, and goes on to incorporate selections by Alter, Dana Suesse, Nathaniel Shilkret,* Jelly Roll Morton, Billy Mayerl, Frankie Carl, Rube Bloom, James Blyths, Ferde Grofe, George L. Cobb, Bert Grant, Cecil Arnold, L. Wolfe Gilbert and Lewis F. Muir. Hodges also wrote the informative liner notes.

Anybody here ever notice the presumably coincidental resemblance between a few bars from Manhattan Serenade and the opening measures of Brother Can You Spare a Dime? ("They used to tell me I was building a dream...")

* (musical director of Fred & Ginger's Gershwin show, SHALL WE DANCE)

Posted:   Oct 9, 2014 - 12:05 AM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

PS: Of course, there are several available albums of Grofe's "modern" compositions, as well as his Gershwin arrangements for Whiteman. (One of the best such Grofe CDs is performed by the Beau Hunks, the featured musicians on Laurel & Hardy/Little Rascals CD's.)

Posted:   Oct 11, 2014 - 7:00 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Piggy-backing on Ray's 2013 thread above, I've just discovered a splendid solo CD by Frederick Hodges: "MANHATTAN SERENADE - Piano Masterpieces of the Jazz Age," released in 2011.

It leads off with the aforementioned title track by Louis Alter, and goes on to incorporate selections by Alter, Dana Suesse, Nathaniel Shilkret,* Jelly Roll Morton, Billy Mayerl, Frankie Carl, Rube Bloom, James Blyths, Ferde Grofe, George L. Cobb, Bert Grant, Cecil Arnold, L. Wolfe Gilbert and Lewis F. Muir. Hodges also wrote the informative liner notes.

Anybody here ever notice the presumably coincidental resemblance between a few bars from Manhattan Serenade and the opening measures of Brother Can You Spare a Dime? ("They used to tell me I was building a dream...")

* (musical director of Fred & Ginger's Gershwin show, SHALL WE DANCE)

Oh man, the sight of that name "Nathaniel Shilkret" set off the memory banks, and now here I am looking at m'LP, "Victrola America GERSHWIN Plays GERSHWIN" with "An American In Paris"/RCA Victor Symphony/Nathaniel Shilkret, Conductor. Liner notes date this "first complete recording of a 'serious' Gershwin composition" February 4, 1929. It also states "Gershwin was thoroughly pleased with Shilkret's spirited and idiomatic interpretation."