Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 19, 2014 - 10:06 AM   
 By:   KTK   (Member)

Mike_J: I didn’t mean to put down Chambers’ makeup at all, just saying that the approach was not to create realistic-looking apes. And the film is better for it.

There’s a few ways to look at the makeup issue. One is the ‘evolution’ aspect that the apes have mutated to be more human-looking. The other is to acknowledge that ‘Planet of the Apes’ is a satire, after all – “The apes are us.” There are moments in this dark film that are actually funny, and to my ears, Goldsmith’s music has an ironic humor to it that underscores this.

Even with lines like, “Human see, human do,” “Some apes, it seems, are more equal than others,” and so on… PotA managed to somehow avoid being goofy, hold you spellbound, and still wave the satire right in our faces. I don’t find any of that extra dimension in the new films – they took a much more simple and direct action Sci-Fi approach. And for me, that’s a major element of the franchise missing. If you take PotA as a serious ‘this could really happen’ film, well then it’s pretty silly. But that’s not the way to approach the original film cycle at all, IMHO.

RoryR: I had no idea that the Freeborn head was used in Trog, but as soon as I read what you wrote, I conjured up the image in my mind and, yeah! Trog DID look an awful lot like Moonwatcher, didn’t he? Hah!