Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about Blog Post: Aisle Seat 3-26: Lincoln, Willow, Twilight Time by Andy Dursin

Posted:   Mar 26, 2013 - 11:28 AM   
 By:   judy the hutt   (Member)

Uh, you didn't see the same Lincoln as I did. Too bad. It was beautiful compelling and wonderful. Cannot wait for my copy which is coming this week.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 5:19 AM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

Announced as one of Twilight Time’s March limited-edition Blu-Ray releases, “Christine” sold out in a matter of hours once its pre-order went live on the Screen Archives website.

This is why I find Twilight Time so frustrating, to the point I almost wish they didn't exist. While there is never a guarantee that these films would have gotten a Blu-Ray release from their respective studios, having TT release them actually does pull them out of general circulation and off the rental market. So now certain cult films with a broader appeal are quickly sold out with no possible way to see them in this format without having to pay the high, jacked up prices of the secondary market (it's bad enough TT's prices are higher because they're a niche label). So, like Fright Night, Christine is another film I'll probably never have on Blu-Ray. Unlike film scores, where you are simply competing with "film score geeks," now we're also racing against general and genre film enthusiasts, who greatly outnumber score geeks. It's a shame, really, because they treat the prints well, leaving out the massive DNR seen on some prior DVD releases. Ah well, more money saved, I guess.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 5:50 AM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

I hear you - believe me, do I ever - but somehow I doubt TT's releases of Christine and Fright Night are the last ones those movies will ever get in high-def.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 5:58 AM   
 By:   paul rossen   (Member)

I don't agree at all. TT is run by movie lovers. And that says a lot. Fox nor Sony have any interest in releasing these films(I do hope they get a crack at MGM-UA) and many if not all of their releases would never see the light of day if it wasn't for them and a few others...Who in their right mind would release Bite the Bullet or Rains of Ranchipur or Desiree? As a poster said...there is a chance that Sony or someone else will re release the sold out thriller releases(just look at the limited edition cd's).

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 8:03 AM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

I agree that some might not have been put out and that as movie lovers, the prints get much better care, but films like Christine and The Fury are mainstream enough to have had a better shot at wide release than some of the more esoteric titles. Hopefully the sold out titles will indeed get a release in the future, but I still find it annoying these get such small runs, small enough to sell out in hours. They're reaching a wider audience than soundtracks.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 8:11 AM   
 By:   Shock-Wave   (Member)

I like to DVD cover to Willow. I might just pick it up. Too bad no iso-score ( I had to say that). Well maybe one day a complete score.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 12:32 PM   
 By:   paul rossen   (Member)

I agree that some might not have been put out and that as movie lovers, the prints get much better care, but films like Christine and The Fury are mainstream enough to have had a better shot at wide release than some of the more esoteric titles. Hopefully the sold out titles will indeed get a release in the future, but I still find it annoying these get such small runs, small enough to sell out in hours. They're reaching a wider audience than soundtracks.

Is The Fury sold out yet? If so just amazing! What a terrible film except for the John Williams score -which is tremendous.(of course imo). As I read somewhere...TT has released some 40 films of which only a handful or two have sold out. Instead of all the blame and criticism heaped upon them they should be praised for putting out such films. There's a poster on another board who is going on about their release of Major Dundee. Come on now. Two discs, one with the original cut and score and one with the extended cut with new score wasn't enough. He wanted seamless branching between the two cuts and scores on the same disc with complete flexibility mixing the scores. Its supposedly on the dvd but for some reason Sony didn't provide TT with the same ability on the Blu-ray. I only mention this as TT has taken some unwarranted criticism. If one believes that the transfer isn't up to snuff nor not worth the price, simply don't buy it.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 4:54 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Is The Fury sold out yet? If so just amazing! What a terrible film except for the John Williams score -which is tremendous.(of course imo). As I read somewhere...TT has released some 40 films of which only a handful or two have sold out. Instead of all the blame and criticism heaped upon them they should be praised for putting out such films. There's a poster on another board who is going on about their release of Major Dundee. Come on now. Two discs, one with the original cut and score and one with the extended cut with new score wasn't enough. He wanted seamless branching between the two cuts and scores on the same disc with complete flexibility mixing the scores. Its supposedly on the dvd but for some reason Sony didn't provide TT with the same ability on the Blu-ray. I only mention this as TT has taken some unwarranted criticism. If one believes that the transfer isn't up to snuff nor not worth the price, simply don't buy it.

No, The Fury has not sold out. And if they were to have done 5000 Christine and Fright Nights, they'd still be sitting on 2000, maybe more, because just like here if people think there are plenty, than half the people rushing to purchase don't and then they forget and copies remain unsold. That's exactly how it works here. Had I done 1000 copies of David and Bathsheba rather than hoping smart soundtrack people would leap at the chance to have that fabulous disc, hence we did 1500, they'd be gone. It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. It's not easy to make a successful business and they are doing what they need to do. If Columbia had put out Christine or Fright Night do you really think it would have immediately sold 3000 copies - because it wouldn't have AND it would have been cheaper. No, everyone would then have played the "Why would I pay twenty bucks now when it will be in the five-dollar bin in a year." That is the Blu-ray mentality and that is why the studios don't want to put out this stuff - that and the fact that stores can return 100% of what they buy ten minutes after they buy it.

And I will tell you precisely why Christine sold out in seven hours. Because the people on one specific Blu-ray board decided to make a game out of how fast it could sell out (the same used to happen with soundtracks but people have stopped doing it now - just as they will with Twilight Time) - they followed the progress, bought multiple copies to resell and voila - an instant sellout just like an instant Varese sellout of one of their crappy LP 1000 copy CD limited editions.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 5:05 PM   
 By:   Simon Underwood   (Member)

Both 9 year old Simon and 32 year old Simon would like to dispute the assertion that Joanne Whalley is "throughly unappealing" in Willow.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 5:39 PM   
 By:   soundtracknut223   (Member)

I have been watching the Christine release unfold on SAE noting the sold out status that appeared so quickly. I have no interest in this film whatsoever but I really feel for the folks who so want to get 1 of the 3000 and miss out. What really bugs me more is seeing the copies on Amazon starting at $100.00 or on ebay for Buy It Now for almost $200.00. Call me naive or out of touch but I am sure it must be frustrating.

Posted:   Mar 28, 2013 - 5:54 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

And if they were to have done 5000 Christine and Fright Nights, they'd still be sitting on 2000, maybe more, because just like here if people think there are plenty, than half the people rushing to purchase don't and then they forget and copies remain unsold.

Wrong. We are talking about a John Carpenter movie (and King adaptation) with two previous dvd releases (one regular, one special edition) that most certainly has broader appeal than 3000 people. Even if there had been no resellers on amazon and ebay that limitation is still absurd. It is the equivalent of Kritzerland releasing a limited to 1000 edition of Williams' Jurassic Park. Twilight taking on this title means that you end up with a limited, overpriced and underproduced release. Had this gone to any of the established horror blu-ray labels it would have featured new extras (instead of porting those from the dvd over), it would have still been in print (and most likely cheaper than its retail price in the near future) and there'd only be satisfied customers. IMO.