Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 26, 2013 - 3:17 PM   
 By:   MMM   (Member)

Monstrous Movie Music is proud to present THE TALL TEXAN [MMM-1974], which features a very impressive western score by Bert Shefter, usually known as Paul Sawtell’s partner. This solid 1953 Lloyd Bridges’ movie tells the story of gold and greed in the wilds of New Mexico, and it was edited and directed by the award-winning Elmo Williams, who contributed to the research for the liner notes. Soon to turn 100, Mr. Williams is a legend as an editor, winning an Academy Award for his extraordinary work on HIGH NOON. This CD is dedicated to Mr. Williams.

This disc has everything you want in a western score: heroic melodies, exciting action sequences, Indian themes, romance, and much more. Some of the music will remind you of Bernard Herrmann, some will remind you of Elmer Bernstein, but Shefter wrote this score in his own style and those musical similarities actually predate those moments by the other composers. This 50-minute CD will take you back to a time when men were men and Indians were Indians! The music was transferred from the composer's original tape reels, and the lovely cover painting is by the gifted Robert Aragon.

To hear a "suite" from THE TALL TEXAN, please use the sound link below. This is just a small sample of some of the wonderful themes and motifs to be heard on this highly enjoyable score:
http://www.mmmrecordings.com/Audio_Samples/MUSIC-1974-medley.mp3

CDs will begin shipping about a week from today, unless you don't mind new copies that aren't shrink-wrapped, as we have some of those from our recent convention, and we can mail those out in the next few days.

To order, please go to our home page or to our page dedicated to THE TALL TEXAN, or to our order page to see your payment options. And thanks to all of you who have been supporting our little label all these years!

http://mmmrecordings.com/index.html
http://mmmrecordings.com/The_Tall_Texan/the_tall_texan.html
http://mmmrecordings.com/How_To_Order/how_to_order.html

MMM-1974 Total Time: 50:01
THE TALL TEXAN (1953)
Music composed by Bert Shefter

1 Main Title 2:18
2 Wagon on the Way 1:46
3 Putting Indian in Wagon 2:45
4 Gun Fight 2:09
5 Jerry’s Dead :42
6 The Gold Nugget 1:10
7 Dealt In :22
8 On the Way 1:32
9 Gold Panning 2:24
10 Gold Glitters :10
11 Panning 2:39
12 Trask Jumps at Sheriff 1:54
13 Panning for Gold 3:12
14 Night Scene 1:08
15 Tinnen Spots Gold Nugget :49
16 Card Game :46
17 Laura and Ben 2:35
18 Tinnen Goes to the Burial Ground 2:37
19 The Fight 1:28
20 On the Way for Supplies :23
21 Guitar :24
22 Tinnen and Carney on Way Back :57
23 Tinnen Shoots Carney :14
24 Carney’s Time Piece 1:13
25 On Horse to Burial Ground 1:39
26 On the Run :05
27 On the Run 1:21
28 Indians Give Chase :26
29 Tinnen Gets It 1:57
30 Bess Gets It :58
31 Fighting Way Out 3:21
32 End Title :25
Bonus Tracks!
33 Indian Drums, #1 2:05
34 Indian Drums, #2 :58
35 Indians Nearby :09
36 Indian Drums, #3 :54

Posted:   Mar 26, 2013 - 4:51 PM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

Monstrous Movie Music is proud to present THE TALL TEXAN [MMM-1974], which features a very impressive western score by Bert Shefter, usually known as Paul Sawtell’s partner. This solid 1953 Lloyd Bridges’ movie tells the story of gold and greed in the wilds of New Mexico, and it was edited and directed by the award-winning Elmo Williams, who contributed to the research for the liner notes. Soon to turn 100, Mr. Williams is a legend as an editor, winning an Academy Award for his extraordinary work on HIGH NOON. This CD is dedicated to Mr. Williams.

This disc has everything you want in a western score: heroic melodies, exciting action sequences, Indian themes, romance, and much more. Some of the music will remind you of Bernard Herrmann, some will remind you of Elmer Bernstein, but Shefter wrote this score in his own style and those musical similarities actually predate those moments by the other composers. This 50-minute CD will take you back to a time when men were men and Indians were Indians! The music was transferred from the composer's original tape reels, and the lovely cover painting is by the gifted Robert Aragon.

To hear a "suite" from THE TALL TEXAN, please use the sound link below. This is just a small sample of some of the wonderful themes and motifs to be heard on this highly enjoyable score:
http://www.mmmrecordings.com/Audio_Samples/MUSIC-1974-medley.mp3

CDs will begin shipping about a week from today, unless you don't mind new copies that aren't shrink-wrapped, as we have some of those from our recent convention, and we can mail those out in the next few days.

To order, please go to our home page or to our page dedicated to THE TALL TEXAN, or to our order page to see your payment options. And thanks to all of you who have been supporting our little label all these years!

http://mmmrecordings.com/index.html
http://mmmrecordings.com/The_Tall_Texan/the_tall_texan.html
http://mmmrecordings.com/How_To_Order/how_to_order.html

MMM-1974 Total Time: 50:01
THE TALL TEXAN (1953)
Music composed by Bert Shefter

1 Main Title 2:18
2 Wagon on the Way 1:46
3 Putting Indian in Wagon 2:45
4 Gun Fight 2:09
5 Jerry’s Dead :42
6 The Gold Nugget 1:10
7 Dealt In :22
8 On the Way 1:32
9 Gold Panning 2:24
10 Gold Glitters :10
11 Panning 2:39
12 Trask Jumps at Sheriff 1:54
13 Panning for Gold 3:12
14 Night Scene 1:08
15 Tinnen Spots Gold Nugget :49
16 Card Game :46
17 Laura and Ben 2:35
18 Tinnen Goes to the Burial Ground 2:37
19 The Fight 1:28
20 On the Way for Supplies :23
21 Guitar :24
22 Tinnen and Carney on Way Back :57
23 Tinnen Shoots Carney :14
24 Carney’s Time Piece 1:13
25 On Horse to Burial Ground 1:39
26 On the Run :05
27 On the Run 1:21
28 Indians Give Chase :26
29 Tinnen Gets It 1:57
30 Bess Gets It :58
31 Fighting Way Out 3:21
32 End Title :25
Bonus Tracks!
33 Indian Drums, #1 2:05
34 Indian Drums, #2 :58
35 Indians Nearby :09
36 Indian Drums, #3 :54

I remember seeing this film at a Sunday matinee in the old Regal cinema when I was a kid...listening to the music might make me feel young again! Ordered!!!

Posted:   Mar 26, 2013 - 11:42 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Excellent batch of releases. Particularly the westerns.

Posted:   Mar 30, 2013 - 2:57 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

THE TALL TEXAN is available on a DVD from VCI.

Posted:   Mar 30, 2013 - 7:03 AM   

CDs for most of those who ordered directly from us are in the mail or are going out in the mail today. Hope everyone enjoys!

Posted:   Mar 31, 2013 - 8:08 AM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Couldn't they have come up with a better looking cover? Looking forward to the music, however.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2013 - 3:31 PM   

For those who can't live without their cellophane fix, shrink-wrapped CDs just arrived from the pressing plant, and we'll be starting to ship them out Wednesday and Thursday. Some of our international customers will get their packages about two days later than normal because we ran out of the boxes we use for such packages, and they had to be ordered. But almost every international package has already been mailed, and the rest will go out by the end of this week.

Thanks to those of you who've written privately to MMM to tell us how much you like this batch, but we'd greatly appreciate a few of you posting on-line, since if I post, it'll just sound like prejudiced hype!

Posted:   May 6, 2013 - 9:16 PM   

Unknown to me at the time I researched and wrote our liner notes, Randall Larson had interviewed composer Bert Shefter about his music for THE TALL TEXAN. Randall recently published that interview at his latest Soundtrax column. As I mentioned to him, I'm pleased to know that my evaluation of his score was somewhere in the ballpark of what Shefter said. Otherwise, it could have been very embarrassing! There's also a review of our SHE DEMONS/ASTOUNDING SHE-MONSTER in the same column, but if you have the wonderful score for THE TALL TEXAN, you might find Shefter's comments interesting:

http://www.buysoundtrax.com/larsons_soundtrax_4_30_13.html

Posted:   Jun 18, 2013 - 2:52 PM   

Another review:

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/7511-SOUNDTRACK-REVIEW-THE-TALL-TEXAN-RELEASED-BY-MONSTROUS-MOVIE-MUSIC.html

We are presently working on some more westerns as well as more classic horror/sci-fi...

Posted:   Jun 19, 2013 - 9:39 AM   
 By:   filmo   (Member)

to mmm, will any of these westerns be be of the golden age era? thanks any clues. keep up the great work.

Posted:   Jun 19, 2013 - 9:59 AM   
 By:   Dimifan   (Member)

We are presently working on some more westerns as well as more classic horror/sci-fi...

Sounds great! I enjoyed The Tall Texan (and Hellgate) very much. Of course your other releases as well. Didn´t miss any of your soundtrack CDs until now and looking forward to the coming goodies ... Thank you for bringing out all of these gems!

Posted:   Jun 19, 2013 - 11:33 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

to mmm, will any of these westerns be be of the golden age era? thanks any clues. keep up the great work.

Since this is MMM and they seem to exclusively focus on the golden age I would say that's a given...woohoo! Bring on more westerns!

Yavar

Posted:   Jun 19, 2013 - 11:41 AM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Yes, and probably more scores from movies produced at Lippert Pictures.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2013 - 4:46 PM   

Yes, they will be Golden Age scores, although I hate that term. And, yes, we have some new Lippert titles coming out -- not just westerns. As some of you are finding out, or already knew, there are some superb scores to Lippert movies. Robert L. knew the value of a good score and hired a lot of people who could write them. When you listen to a score like THE TALL TEXAN, you get a sense of all the talent that was in Hollywood at the time. It's not a big film. It's not a classic film. Mostly medium-famed stars. But it's a solid production and the score is every bit as enjoyable as many written for "name" westerns.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 3:58 PM   
 By:   Paul Ettinger   (Member)

Besides the quotes from YANKEE DOODLE DANDY and BLOW THE MAN DOWN, I'm also hearing an old spiritual hymn in there: WERE YOU THERE WHEN THEY CRUCIFIED MY LORD.