Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 9, 2013 - 8:12 AM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

I must admit I wasn't familiar with Newman's electronic stuff. I always thought it was his brother Thomas who was the synth-score guy in the 80s. But it seems like David tried it out too.

Other stuff by David Newman in this style?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN1Krlh9-oI

Posted:   May 9, 2013 - 8:31 AM   
 By:   SBD   (Member)

Parts of BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE and DON'T TELL MOM THE BABYSITTER'S DEAD share this style.

Posted:   May 9, 2013 - 9:03 AM   
 By:   Vermithrax Pejorative   (Member)

MY DEMON LOVER is VERY synthy and poppy.

Posted:   May 9, 2013 - 9:24 AM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

Michael Lehmann has referred to this as “David Newman's most Thomas Newman score.”

Passages of Fire Birds sound like action variations on the montage sequences from Heathers.

Posted:   May 9, 2013 - 11:07 AM   
 By:   counterpoint   (Member)

As mentioned before definetely BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, DON'T TELL MOM THE BABYSITTER'S DEAD and FIRE BIRDS although those 3 unlike HEATHERS are a combination of electronics and orchestra. For a pure electronic score with a similar touch I would also like to mention the very early David Newman score VENDETTA.

Posted:   May 9, 2013 - 7:31 PM   
 By:   Adm Naismith   (Member)

Everyone had to write one of these synth/midi scores around 1990. Elfman wrote something similar for Emilio Estevez's 'Wisdom'.

After what Michael Lehman said, is wrong to say that 'Heathers' is my favorite D Newman score? I hope not, 'cause out of the handful I have, I like it the most.

Posted:   May 11, 2013 - 2:19 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I have every David Newman CD available (plus many that aren't!!) but this score has never been a favourite of mine by him.
It's quite hip n cool for it's time, but is in the bottom tier of my 'fave D Newman scores' list, along with things like The Marrying Man, Honeymoon In Vegas and his Flintstones scores.
I haven't listened to it for a very long time and I never transferred any tracks from it to my 'music on the go' machine. I might dig it out and give it a revisit.

Posted:   May 12, 2013 - 4:10 AM   

Posted:   May 12, 2013 - 4:17 AM   

Didn't find any sound clips...

Posted:   May 12, 2013 - 7:55 AM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

MY DEMON LOVER IS VERY SYNTHY AND POPPY.

I agree with that statement ! David Newman IMHO does synths better than many others, but I am still not a big fan of synth film scores as a whole. I can enjoy when augmented with an orchestra like FIREBIRDS and MALONE, but as much as I love David Newman's work, I can't get into HEATHERS or MY DEMON LOVER. If you like HEATHERS you would probably like MY DEMON LOVER. An expanded OPERATION DUMBO DROP with remastered sound is what I would like to see happen.

Posted:   May 12, 2013 - 8:50 AM   
 By:   Anthony Marose   (Member)

I once asked Mr. Newman about any anecdotes in regard to this score, and he told me he didn't really remember writing it--that it "was a blur." I love this one though. Great work on the harmonica.

Posted:   Oct 18, 2013 - 3:49 AM   

I finally bought the CD. A really fun score that I'm happy got a release by Varese. It even has some liner notes by Richard Kraft.

Posted:   Oct 18, 2013 - 12:39 PM   
 By:   Krakatoa   (Member)

MY DEMON LOVER IS VERY SYNTHY AND POPPY.

I agree with that statement ! David Newman IMHO does synths better than many others, but I am still not a big fan of synth film scores as a whole. I can enjoy when augmented with an orchestra like FIREBIRDS and MALONE, but as much as I love David Newman's work, I can't get into HEATHERS or MY DEMON LOVER. If you like HEATHERS you would probably like MY DEMON LOVER. An expanded OPERATION DUMBO DROP with remastered sound is what I would like to see happen.

"Heathers" is a really terrific score for this particularly mean-spirited comedy!