Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 17, 2013 - 1:38 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

Today´s big rumor:

Christopher Nolan is in early talks with EON about directing the next Bond.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2325894/Dark-Knight-rise-James-Bond-Christopher-Nolan-approached-direct-007-film.html

If true... would that mean that Hans Zimmer will score?

Posted:   May 17, 2013 - 1:50 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

To see what that would look and sound like, check out snow battle sequence from Inception.

Posted:   May 17, 2013 - 1:51 AM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

Big groan to both those possibilities. I really wouldn't be interested in seeing Nolan's take on Bond (I'm mixed on his movies thus far) and certainly not interested in hearing Zimmer's take on Bond music.

Posted:   May 17, 2013 - 2:33 AM   
 By:   spanosdm   (Member)

I really wouldn't be interested in seeing Nolan's take on Bond and certainly not interested in hearing Zimmer's take on Bond music.

I agree with the above quote (as I quoted it). I like Zimmer, but I can't EVEN imagine him doing Bond. But then again, who knows? I was disappointed when I heard Newman was scoring Skyfall but I ended up adoring his score.

Posted:   May 17, 2013 - 4:51 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Today´s big rumor:

Christopher Nolan is in early talks with EON about directing the next Bond.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2325894/Dark-Knight-rise-James-Bond-Christopher-Nolan-approached-direct-007-film.html

If true... would that mean that Hans Zimmer will score?

Yeah, well - why not? One film amongst 20-odd; one score amongst 20-odd. We'll never get another John Barry score so spread it around a little. Providing they stick to the basics in the film and the score (like Newman did, but not nearly enough for my liking) let's have some more fresh ideas.

TG

Posted:   May 17, 2013 - 4:54 AM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

To see what that would look and sound like, check out snow battle sequence from Inception.

If I remember correctly, listening to ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE was an influence for Zimmer while scoring this film.

Posted:   May 17, 2013 - 5:11 AM   
 By:   smuli of finland   (Member)

i thought this woulda been one of those "made you look" -threads. also, in my calendar it ain't april foolz.
i don't like nolan and i don't like zimmer. i liked memento, but everything after that has been bland. in zimmer's discography i truly liked his era from late 90s to early 2000s, what diversity musically, but these recent albums of his i wouldn't necessarily categorize as music.
nolan's batman didn't use elfman's or riddle's themes. snyder's steel man won't have williams' theme. perhaps a zimmery bond wouldn't have those familiar notes from norman as arranged by barry.

Posted:   May 17, 2013 - 5:43 AM   
 By:   Mark Langdon   (Member)

As a big Bond fan and a big Nolan fan, I'd be overjoyed if this turned out to be true, though I find the Daily Mail to be a questionable source. But they do, while printing every Bond rumour doing the rounds, occasionally stumble on the truth. It is certainly true that Nolan has expressed the desire to do a Bond film many times in interviews over the years, and that he has previously discussed the possibility with Eon.

Nolan himself is a huge Bond fan, and you can see nods to the Bond films in INCEPTION, but also in his Batman films (Lucius Fox is basically Bruce Wayne's Q, and the scenes where he shows him the various gadgets he'll use in the films have the same function as those in the Bond films; the Skyhook programme, which is used in THE DARK KNIGHT, had previously featured in THUNDERBALL; as mentioned above, the snow sequence in INCEPTION is basically a homage to OHMSS). So he'll certainly be committed to making the best Bond film he can.

The downside to me is that, while I like what Zimmer did with the Batman films and INCEPTION, I'm not sure his style would fit in so well with the Bond films. But then again, I didn't like Thomas Newman's SKYFALL score as an album, but grudgingly admit it works in the film. If we end up with a similar situation (disappointing, to me, album but the score works in the film) I can survive that.

As far as the Bond theme goes, even if Zimmer is scoring, and even if he didn't use Williams' SUPERMAN theme in MAN OF STEEL, I think he would use the Bond theme. Mainly because, that would be Eon's call and I'm sure they'd insist it appear, even if only on the gunbarrel (wherever that ends up: beginning of the film, end of the film, halfway through an action sequence for no apparent reason!) And also, he did use Schifrin's MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE theme in M:I 2, and Elfman's SIMPSON theme in THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, so don't think he's against utilising other people's themes.

Posted:   May 18, 2013 - 7:22 AM   
 By:   cirithungol   (Member)

Bond 25? maybe.

I very much doubt that EON would be willing to wait for him to finish Interstellar before embarking on Bond 24.

Posted:   May 18, 2013 - 7:24 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Well, I guess it's official. There are only about a dozen directors in the world. LOL

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 5:28 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

Bond 25? maybe.

I very much doubt that EON would be willing to wait for him to finish Interstellar before embarking on Bond 24.

Interstellar has its release as next November, Nolan could easily begin work on Bond after he completes production on Interstellar for a late 2015 release, or Summer/Holiday 2016. Though no fault of their own, EON waited 4 years between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall and it worked out incredibly well for them and personally I enjoy the idea of Craig being an older and grizzled Bond. Stunt men will forever be used on this franchise so as long as he's not Christopher Lee doing CGI back flips in Revenge of the Sith then most people will accept it and spend another billion dollars seeing it.

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 5:55 PM   
 By:   musicpaladin2007   (Member)

I guarantee you at this point Nolan = Zimmer.

And it will be "The most innovative Bond score ever with exciting unique material" (TM)

And instead of a guitar, the Bond theme will be played by an army of Cellos and synth orchestra.

God I wish Zimmer would shed his synthetic packaged soundtrack-in-a-box and actually create something real, organic and creative.

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 6:02 PM   

And it will be "The most innovative Bond score ever with exciting unique material" (TM)

And instead of a guitar, the Bond theme will be played by an army of Cellos and synth orchestra.

... Except that Zimmer uses guitar on nearly all of his film scores.

Edit: And uses them well. Certainly better than from what I've heard of your original scores.

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 6:22 PM   

... Except that Zimmer uses guitar on nearly all of his film scores.

Edit: And uses them well. Certainly better than from what I've heard of your original scores.

His use of guitars in POTC 4 bored me to tears. Just saying. All he was using it for was to mask the fact it was a complete rehash score. His supposed "mermaid" theme was an exact reuse of a theme from the earlier movies.

I'm just saying if you want a real engaging score, Zimmer is not your man. He has phoned it in pretty much for the last 10 years. Pull out Gladiator from 2000, Pirates of the Carribean films and then play The Dark Knight.

For starters, despite the fact Klaus Baldelt has writing credit on POTC 1, the Gladiator battle theme sounds like Jack Sparrow's theme with a few of the notes slightly rearranged.

Zimmer just keeps churning out this crap about being new and innovative but keeps reusing the same techniques over and over and over again. And the same samples over and over and over again. He talked about how Dark Knight Rises was this revolutionary score, but it's a complete rehash almost note for note of Dark Knight... I don't even know why I bothered buying the soundtrack. The entire ending of the movie was exactly. the. same. cue. as the ending of the preceding movie.

At least with POTC 3 I felt like he had a cohesive, organic evolution and combination of themes, but even his themes all sound the same!

I do not want Zimmer within 10 feet of Bond unless he is going to scrap his so called compositional style, if you can even call it that.

At this point he's using samples from a box, rearranging them and calling it an innovative score. It's really embarrassing because I know he is capable of so much more. I look at The Lion King from the 90's and it makes me sad.

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 6:23 PM   

By the way, just because I don't have any original scores doesn't mean I can't comment on the ineptitude of others. I can't sing worth a damn, but you bet I know whether someone else's singing sounds like a dying cat.

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 6:30 PM   

It just sounds like Zimmer is not for you, musicpaladin2007. I'm sorry he doesn't get your mojo going but he's still one of the top film score composers working today, regardless of personal opinion. If you think he's working in autopilot mode, more power to you.

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 6:31 PM   

His use of guitars in POTC 4 bored me to tears. Just saying. All he was using it for was to mask the fact it was a complete rehash score. His supposed "mermaid" theme was an exact reuse of a theme from the earlier movies.

And he has used guitars on more scores than the admittedly poor score for PotC: On Stranger Tides. Though, if you've seen the film, you'd know what little it had going for it in general.

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 6:54 PM   
 By:   JJH   (Member)

God I wish Zimmer would shed his synthetic packaged soundtrack-in-a-box and actually create something real, organic and creative.

The Pledge, The Ring, Invincible, Beyond Rangoon, The Power of One...

Sure, there's a heaping helping of Badelt and others in some of those, but Zimmer has has done the stuff you're talking about.

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 7:06 PM   

And he has used guitars on more scores than the admittedly poor score for PotC: On Stranger Tides. Though, if you've seen the film, you'd know what little it had going for it in general.

I have, and this is definitely true. I was just sorely disappointed after half liking his score to POTC:AWE

Posted:   May 19, 2013 - 7:42 PM   
 By:   scoreaholic   (Member)

I'm sorry for all you Bond fans but a more realistic take has to be done with the bond franchise. The Daniel Craig ones have been way over the top with too much action. Iguess though that's not the point. I don't mean it has to be totally realistic, just a little more believeable. Also the music from the Pierce Brosnan years on has relied on the theme so much that it just makes it boring. Very generic action music with lots of Bond theme does not make a good score. The best score of the franchise was The Living Daylights. A new composer to take some lessons from that and use the theme sparingly throughout the score. After 23 times the same thing gets boring!