Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 23, 2013 - 6:48 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Here was a mellow soul group who hit it big, back when mellow soul ruled the charts.Back when many music lovers say there was love in the air more then hate. I always felt they did a good job with music from good composers like THOM BELL, HUGO AND LUIGI etc etc.They were truly a class act, Any thoughts?

Posted:   May 24, 2013 - 11:26 AM   
 By:   Joe 1956   (Member)

They were very good, and a couple of their songs had a peaceful rhythm to it*. I admit it took a few days to accept that falsetto voice when they first appeared.

I consider myself lucky, in a sense, to have grown up in the days of them and the Spinners and the Chi-Lites, etc.

*Betcha By Golly Wow

You Make Me Feel Brand New

Stone In Love With You

Posted:   May 24, 2013 - 1:25 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

"You Are Everything".

One of my favorite records of all time. But only their version.

Thom Bell, along with Gamble & Huff... some of the finest producers ever. Classy AND elegant.

Posted:   May 24, 2013 - 4:12 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

"You Are Everything".

One of my favorite records of all time. But only their version.

Thom Bell, along with Gamble & Huff... some of the finest producers ever. Classy AND elegant.

Bingo. Bell, Gamble & Huff, I think Linda Creed wrote a few of their hits ( could be wrong) but yeah, Russell Thompkins' voice was magical.

You'll Never Get To Heaven, Betcha By Golly Wow, still just as lovely as ever!

Posted:   May 24, 2013 - 6:01 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

VAN MCCOY AS WELL, sadly there was some tragedy along the way for the creative talent-LINDA CREED died young of cancer, VAN MCCOY died young of a heart attack.However the STYLISTICS themselves have hung in there pretty well over the decades.