Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 23, 2013 - 4:28 PM   
 By:   Gutenberg   (Member)

Is anybody releasing an expanded/complete version of the score to "Gods and Generals" by John Frizzell and Randy Edelman?

Yes, there was a rumour floating around once, a couple of years ago, but I am wondering if there is anything actually in progress NOW that anybody happens to know about.

Posted:   Jun 23, 2013 - 7:00 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Don't know. But I would buy it! What a lovely score.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 8:42 AM   

Anybody know anything…at all?

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 8:42 AM   

dp

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 8:43 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

Now would be the time - The Battle of Gettysburg has its 150th anniversary this coming weekend.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 9:50 AM   
 By:   ANZALDIMAN   (Member)

A friend of mine who writes for North Jersey newspapers will be attending the ceremonies at Gettysburg.

The National Park Service has worked wonders recently restoring the field to it's 1863 appearance by clearing overgrown trees and brush that over decades obscured the topography.

I like this score very much and I remember speaking to G&G director Ron Maxwell about it at the premiere in Clifton and he was very proud of the score. Unfortunately, the film did not fare well at the box office but as the years have passed and especially since the expanded directors cut has been released it's been viewed much more favorably in some circles than it was at the time of it's release in 2003.

I'd absolutely purchase an expanded edition were it to become available.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 10:54 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

I don't know, but I'll make some guesses:

Wasn't it about three years ago the rumor, possibly confirmed by LLLR, that LLLR was doing it?

Add to that MV's recent comment that the Edelman score that was coming this year, has been pushed to next year and that MV couldn't remember what it was at first and had to think about it, maybe ... maybe it's "Gods and Generals" because he's been trying to get that one out for so long that he forgot it.

For my next trick, I'll pull rabbit out of my hat. And eat it.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Okay, found the thread. Here's the relevent info':

Nov 30, 2010 - 7:33 PM
drivingmissdaisy

"I heard this DIRECTLY from Frizzell, so unless something has changed, I believe it's coming. I have NO idea when or by whom though. BTW John's a SUPER nice guy!"

Nov 30, 2010 - 8:03 PM
Gutenberg

"No; I emailed La La and they said they're not doing it. They don't know who's doing it either."

So, who in the world would do this? Intrada? Varese Club seems more like it.