Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:19 AM   
 By:   Frank V   (Member)

A great companion to Intrada's recently released CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER score...

PATRIOT GAMES - 2 CD SET
MUSIC BY JAMES HORNER
LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS
RETAIL PRICE: $24.98
LLLCD 1259

PRODUCED BY DAN GOLDWASSSER
MASTERED BY MIKE MATESSINO
LINER NOTES BY JIM LOCHNER
ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

La-La Land Records and Paramount Pictures are proud to announce the release of James Horner's 1992 blockbuster Jack Ryan score to the hit film PATRIOT GAMES starring Harrison Ford and Sean Bean. This expanded 2 cd set features over 50 minutes of unreleased music from the thriller. Liner notes by Jim Lochner take you deep inside the film's production and Horner's intense, Irish tinged score. Art direction by Dan Goldwasser round out this stellar package.

The cd goes on sale July 2, 2013 at 12 pm PST (NOON) at www.lalalandrecords.com and other fine online stores.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:23 AM   
 By:   Frank V   (Member)

Cover:

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:28 AM   
 By:   Simon Underwood   (Member)

Excellent! Always felt the original CD was lacklustre and was hoping it would get a redo after Intrada's CAPD. Didn't expect it so soon though!

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:28 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

I have a soft spot for this score, even the synthy action stuff. Those huge blasts of shakuhachi in "The Hit" were a highlight of the score in the film.

That said, how much of the 50 minutes is source music, and how much of what's left is worthy of expansion? From what I remember, everything essential is on the album (with the exception of a 90 second cue that sounds just like everything else Horner has done for this type of movie, music that's reprised in the tacked-on "Boat Chase" music).

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:33 AM   
 By:   Tobias   (Member)

Cool, Patriot Games was actually my very first James Horner CD (followed shortly by his Pelican Brief).

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:33 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Damn, and there was me hoping for expanded editions of My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys or Pursuit Of D.B. Cooper. Oh well wink

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:34 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

Not a big Horner fan, but I have always liked this score so I may get this release. The film is an embarrassment to all concerned.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:35 AM   
 By:   Mike Skerritt   (Member)

Whoa whoa whooooooooooooooooooooooa

That said, how much of the 50 minutes is source music, and how much of what's left is worthy of expansion? From what I remember, everything essential is on the album (with the exception of a 90 second cue that sounds just like everything else Horner has done for this type of movie, music that's reprised in the tacked-on "Boat Chase" music).

My thoughts too. I love this score but I'm curious to see what could go into 50(!!) minutes of extra material.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:37 AM   
 By:   Simon Underwood   (Member)

I'll probably break this out again next week but -

"Lawst 'er spleen tho, eye? Pity that. Mecks it mighty tawf on 'er t'fight orf infektion."

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:38 AM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

The film is an embarrassment to all concerned.

I thought it was one of the best action-thrillers of the '90s, although I actually found Horner's score lacking. (Although it certainly has its moments.)

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:40 AM   

The atmosphere created by that opening title, as it plays under the credits, is pretty perfect.

Also had a great trailer!

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:48 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Damn, and there was me hoping for expanded editions of My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys or Pursuit Of D.B. Cooper. Oh well wink

You may be joking, but Cooper is one score I'd like to catch.
I was hoping FSM would do it back before the announcement of their closing, when Lukas sought suggestions from the CBS archives at (UCLA?) posted online to read. Sadly this never came to fruition. I guess that leaves Intrada.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:52 AM   
 By:   eggerty31   (Member)

Nice release. Will be picking up this and CaPD next week.

Now... what are the chances the Intrada will do Red October in 2 weeks for the hat trick? lol

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:53 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

PG is full of Horner self rip-offs, and it is a pretty lazy sleepy score. Clear and Present Danger is far superior.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 11:55 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

"You may be joking, but Cooper is one score I'd like to catch"
--------------------------------------

No, Justin, I'm not joking.
I'm after expansions of scores that featured 10 minutes or less of the original score, just like the two I mentioned.
That would also include MOST David Newman CD's released back in the day, plus things like the Free Willy scores.
While I'm happy for folks clamouring for these expanded editions (to what I consider fine original editions), I'm sad lesser scores with greater music hardly merit a blip on the radar.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 12:00 PM   

"You may be joking, but Cooper is one score I'd like to catch"
--------------------------------------

No, Justin, I'm not joking.
I'm after expansions of scores that featured 10 minutes or less of the original score, just like the two I mentioned.
That would also include MOST David Newman CD's released back in the day, plus things like the Free Willy scores.
While I'm happy for folks clamouring for these expanded editions (to what I consider fine original editions), I'm sad lesser scores with greater music hardly merit a blip on the radar.

Well I think you are right, Intrada is pretty good at giving some attention to lesser known titles. But there has been extraordinary attention lavished on the big ones lately; John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner. I mean these are great for the completist fans but you are right that a proper Free Willy, or a NeverEnding Story 2, others, are much more interesting and inspired scores than an extended Patriot Games. I have had the original Patriot Games for years and listened to it perhaps 4 or 5 times.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 12:03 PM   

PG is full of Horner self rip-offs, and it is a pretty lazy sleepy score. Clear and Present Danger is far superior.

The argument could be made that both Clear And Present Danger and Patriot Games, in their complete forms, are a dual exercise in tedium. So much dead weight in these scores, even on the original albums (like that 11 minute Synclaiver jerkoff session on Patriot Games). I still prefer the Patriot Games score overall. The synth-only cues on Clear And Present Danger just sounded like Thursday Night Prime to me.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 12:17 PM   

The argument could be made that both Clear And Present Danger and Patriot Games, in their complete forms, are a dual exercise in tedium. So much dead weight in these scores, even on the original albums (like that 11 minute Synclaiver jerkoff session on Patriot Games). I still prefer the Patriot Games score overall. The synth-only cues on Clear And Present Danger just sounded like Thursday Night Prime to me.

Yeah, agree for the most part, although I think that C and PD is more melodic and tuneful. Neither is a particularly great work of composition, but at least the second is more full bodied orchestral score from what I can recall.

It was a peak in the era of Horner-copying-himself. I recall watching PG and picking out phrases from Brainstorm, Star Trek 2, and there is an almost direct lift of a part of Barber Adiago for Strings

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 12:25 PM   
 By:   digitalfreaknyc   (Member)

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now bring me Hunt for Red October and I'll be a happy boy!!!

Posted:   Jun 25, 2013 - 12:32 PM   

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now bring me Hunt for Red October and I'll be a happy boy!!!

I am not sure how much is missing from Red October, the CD I have seems pretty adequate.
What is not there?