Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 9:19 AM   
 By:   Mike_J   (Member)

I came back from New York to find that my cat Japer had been missing for several days.

After calling around everywhereI could think of I finally tracked him down to a local vet via the RSPCA.

Unfortunately he had been attacked and badly hurt. The vet said that the marks on him were consistent with that of a dog attack.

Sadly he was in such a state that I had no choice but to have him put down. I'm totally devastated because although I've had various cats over the years I've never been as attached to them as I was to Jape.

He was found locally so clearly it was one of my neighbour's dogs who attacked him. I'm trying hard to not make enquires to find out which one because the way I am feeling right now I honestly think I would kill the fucking dog which did this if I found out.

RIP Japer. I'll miss you, scruffy cat.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 9:24 AM   
 By:   Spence   (Member)

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I know our pets are family, and how heartbroken it can be to lose a beloved pet. I lost my beautiful Italian Greyhound Bella when she was hit by a car a few years ago.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 9:51 AM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

I'm really sad to hear that Mike, I'm a fool for cats, I just love them. If what happened to yours happened to my cat Gomez I would feel exactly like you.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 9:55 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

Sorry to hear that, Mike. As a catty person myself I can fully understand how you feel. They really do become part of the family, so when something like that happens it's always extremely sad. It's probably not much consolation at the moment, but you'll probably eventually start to look back and be warmed by some lovely memories.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 10:05 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Sorry to hear, Mike. Our family cat had to be put down back in April. It's hard. frown

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 10:14 AM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

I'm very sorry, Mike.

Allow me to share something that brought me comfort when my cats died:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 11:56 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

I'm sorry, Mike. Losing them just rips a person's guts out.

RIP, kitty.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 12:51 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

That sucks, great looking cat. RIP.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 1:16 PM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

This very same thing happened to me in 2004, except someone found my cat by the side of the road, barely alive, torn to shreads right down to her jaw being dislocated. It was most certainly the neighbor's cujo dog because it had happened to other neighbors' pets, and where my cat was found was in the danger zone. Naturally the neighbors didn't give a rip, and I couldn't prove anything, so there it is. I was delighted, however, a couple of years later to discover that the cujo dog was no longer present. Turns out the bastard bit one of the owner's kids...then the owners cared.

Best cat I ever had. frown

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 1:26 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

My condolences, Mike. I love cats, love 'em ... nothing makes me melt like a sweet, lovable kitty ( well...almost nothing razz ) . I cried like a baby when our older cat had to be put to sleep some years ago, but the way you lost your friend makes it that much harder to deal with.

Best wishes.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 1:44 PM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

I'm very, very sorry to hear about this Mike_J.

I was never around cats when I was growing up. (My mother had grown up on a farm in Indiana and there were feral cats all around, but they were not friendly and thus she was afraid of cats at an early age.)

But my partner and I are "cat people" here at our house now. We have never gone out looking to adopt or buy a cat, but for some reason they are "attracted"---particularly to me---and occasionally turn up in our yard and want to move in.

The first time that happened was in 1990, and since then we have had---sometimes singly, sometimes several overlapping---14 cats! Some were relatively young, many were older, but all were very special and unique and loving. Perhaps I am a "cat whisperer"; they all seem to gravitate to me.

All of them are gone now except for four, all of one family---who are all delightful and great friends. About 6 weeks ago we lost the last of our original cats---Mrs. Spottsie. She was about 19---and very ill, not to recover, so we had to help her along the Rainbow Bridge Ron P. has commented on.

This always tears me up a great deal, and I'm depressed for a long time afterward because we are always so close to all the kitties. So I know exactly how you feel, Mike_J. In the last six years we have had 4 kitty deaths. But the remaining kitties always then get even more love and affection and attention, and I get the benefit of having to tend to them, and help pull myself out of the depressions that accompany the deaths of the others.

If you do not have another cat in your family, look around and see if you wouldn't like to adopt one soon. This is a double reward: It helps you and it helps the adoptee. Though they are gone, I will NEVER forget any of our previous cats. They were all unique and very special to my life and so, moving on and sharing life with another kitty doesn't feel like a betrayal to the memory of those gone.

One other thing. When the last batch of four arrived in our yard---Mother was pregnant and had her litter of 3 in our flowerbed---we took care of them, fed them, and, when it was time, snatched them all up, brought them in the house, had them spayed, vaccinated, and chipped, and they have stayed here, indoors, ever since.

It was a very, very difficult decision for me to make---cutting them off from the outdoors and that natural life---but even in this suburban LA neighborhood we have loose dogs, cats, possums, raccoons, and the occasional coyote---and we'd had some serious cat injuries over the years because of this. Indoors only, they still seem to be very happy together, and each has regular sleeping places, routines, and times for attention and playing. And WE know they are safe from outside incidents. We love them and it gives us peace-of-mind.

Mike_J, I showed your comments to my partner and we both send our Sympathies to you on the loss of your friend and companion.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 2:20 PM   
 By:   Warlok   (Member)

Crappy. Full condolences. I regret I can`t think of anything more to say... but (or maybe because) I`ve been there.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 2:22 PM   
 By:   groovemeister   (Member)

deleted

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 4:29 PM   
 By:   neotrinity   (Member)

When There Are No Words Department:

Returning home to this unexpected occurrence is precisely what you didn't need,
Mick, and all our sincere condolences as you embark upon your own stages of grief.

There is no timetable for such profoundly personal progressions.

And it doesn't 'take a long time', either.

We all have our own processes and paths, thus the only truism that authentically applies is:

It takes as long as it takes.

{ You're in our thoughts with titled concern. }

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 4:35 PM   
 By:   Storyteller   (Member)

So sorry to hear about your loss. Your friend is truly never lost as long as he remains in your heart.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 5:14 PM   
 By:   jenkwombat   (Member)

Sorry to hear about your cat, Mike.

My cat Homer is getting up there in years, and I fear he is on his last legs. It's hard enough when they pass away from old age. I can't imagine what you must be feeling...

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 5:35 PM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

Very sorry for your loss. My male cat, McGinty looks kind of like your cat. If that had happened to him, I'm not sure what I'd do as I've had him from a kitten for 13 years.

I hope *you* are doing well.

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 5:53 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

Mike_J, I had to think back to the days when I had a beloved pet, over thirty years ago, to even imagine what you have suffered. The one thing I know is that time will eventually take the edge off this terrible feeling and leave you with your good memories.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 9:05 PM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

Sorry to hear that.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2013 - 10:57 PM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

Hi Mike, I am very sorry for your loss. The cat looks like a really wonderful boy. Losing a pet really stings.