Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 3:45 AM   
 By:   jb1234   (Member)

Where the hell are the woodwinds? Their absence makes this score sound like the orchestra is missing something huge.

That's very common in contemporary film scores these days, especially from RC composers.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 9:14 AM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

Where the hell are the woodwinds? Their absence makes this score sound like the orchestra is missing something huge.

That's very common in contemporary film scores these days, especially from RC composers.

Except they shouldn't claim to be writing an orchestral score if they don't have any woodwinds. It is no longer an orchestra then.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 9:35 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

There are many composers and film makers, and well, lots of goods and services that are total crap, that are enormously successful. Up post someone with the initials FT pretty much angled that film makers keep hiring him and Tyler is very popular. Yeah, that is true. But Michael Bay keeps getting film projects too, and I would not think too many people would think he is a great director, or really even a very good one. McDonald's sells lots of hamburgers. The equation of popular, or financially successful with GOOD is a western world concept that is really destructive and fallacious.

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 4:03 PM   
 By:   JamesSouthall   (Member)

My review of the score album, if anyone's interested:
http://www.movie-wave.net/guardians-of-the-galaxy/

Posted:   Jul 28, 2014 - 6:08 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

My review of the score album, if anyone's interested:
http://www.movie-wave.net/guardians-of-the-galaxy/

Totally nailed it.

Posted:   Jul 30, 2014 - 4:44 PM   
 By:   KeoNato   (Member)

Personal thoughts -- I'm kind of surprised with this. Bates gets a lot of flack for 300 and I wasn't really impressed with his work on Watchmen, but this is a pleasant change from him. It's definitely a high-calibur MV sound (or, Brian Tyler without the Goldsmith) but there's enough personality and flourishes there and some solid melodic writing to keep me listening.

The 80's synth work on tracks like "Groot Spores" work surprisingly well. I almost wish there was more of this in there. Could have been something entirely different and remarkable.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2014 - 8:53 AM   
 By:   moviescore1   (Member)

Personal thoughts -- I'm kind of surprised with this. Bates gets a lot of flack for 300 and I wasn't really impressed with his work on Watchmen, but this is a pleasant change from him. It's definitely a high-calibur MV sound (or, Brian Tyler without the Goldsmith) but there's enough personality and flourishes there and some solid melodic writing to keep me listening.

The 80's synth work on tracks like "Groot Spores" work surprisingly well. I almost wish there was more of this in there. Could have been something entirely different and remarkable.

I agree. This one took my surprise and I actually ordered the disc from Amazon. This is the first Bates score that I've been able to get into. I also think if he incorporated more of the 80's synth sound into the score it would be have been great and made it much more unique and fun. At least it have some themes and is not just a series of drones and "horn of doom" sounds.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2014 - 3:28 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

I champion Bates from time to time. I adore his energetic and homage-laden score to Doomsday. I thought his Watchmen score elevated most of the movie (along with the other soundtrack choices). And even something as plagiarized and corrupted as 300 I still enjoy on a primal level.

But this reeks of him having to play by the new-fangled "Brian Tyler formula" as per Marvel's sketchbook of how they want this MCU looking and sounding. The film I am seeing tonight, and the compilation soundtrack is worth every penny (and will mostly likely stand out the most within the film). I know that a lot of FSM users found Iron Man Three and Thor: The Dark World to be maybe just what you wanted from this expanded franchise, but I found them limp, uninspired, and loud. And I like loud. KeoNato is entirely right, "Groot Spores" stands out so well on this album, that I too feel like whatever brought that to Bates should've been expanded throughout the rest. I won't stifle his effort, but I only wish Marvel would let the creativity of their composers shine through.

And now you will all call me a mad psychopath, because The Winter Soldier stands as my absolute favorite score in this franchise (with Silvestri's initial Captain America score nudging oh-so-close behind).

Posted:   Aug 1, 2014 - 10:00 AM   
 By:   BROMHEAD1   (Member)

I watched the movie today and thought it was brilliant.The most enjoyable film i have seen in a very long time.The score worked in the movie (for me anyway).Unlike most movies the songs actually do work really well and do enhance the experience.