Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 3:12 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

I was watching "The Flintstones" Season 3 D.V.D. set, and was watching "The Big Move" and noticed that 3 1/2 minutes were edited out, such as the teaser at the beginning was missing, and scene where Fred walks in his new house, and is confronted by his new neighbors. What's worse, at the end the Hanna-Barbera tag doesn't have the brass and sound effects, but the music from their old logo with the star. Can anybody think of any errors on episodes of television D.V.D. sets like these?

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 4:10 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

"ALF" on DVD turned out to be the edited syndication re-runs cuts.

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 4:37 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

I seem to remember that there was a fuss about the original DVD release of 24: Season 1 in the UK, as some scenes had been edited (presumably for violence etc)...pretty sure it ended up being one of those deals where you could send in your discs and get proper replacements, but it was all corrected for subsequent releases.

There are quite a few cases where music has been changed for rights reasons...I bet there are hundreds...but the one that springs to mind immediately is Quantum Leap.

I also remember an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation that was edited for broadcast and VHS release, but this was corrected for subsequent DVD releases and broadcasts (though the cut version did show up somewhere recently on TV...I forget where I spotted it...)

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 4:55 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Wasn't music rights the whole issue with "Wonder Years"? There was a classic television series, forget which that also had to switch out songs. I think the Star Trek TOS VHS tapes are a mixed bag. Some are syndication cuts or somehow music was switched out in some episodes. Not sure though.

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 5:54 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

I also remember an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation that was edited for broadcast and VHS release, but this was corrected for subsequent DVD releases and broadcasts (though the cut version did show up somewhere recently on TV...I forget where I spotted it...)

I'm guessing that was an episode called The High Ground.

In his study of terrorism, Data notes that Ireland was unified in 2024 after a successful terrorist campaign. As a result, this episode was not originally shown on free-to-air television in the United Kingdom for many years. It was not broadcast in the Republic of Ireland by the Star Trek rights' holder, RTE, during the programme's run on that channel, though UK broadcasts were received there. Initial UK airings were edited when shown on satellite channel Sky One. The episode was broadcast unedited in May 2006 on Sky One and finally shown unedited on BBC Two during the third season's repeats after midnight in September 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Ground_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 7:45 PM   

I had forgotten about that episode! Wow - yes, there was a real fuss about that one!

The episode I was on about - and after looking it up it appears I had my facts slightly wrong - was the season 1 episode "Conspiracy".

Posted:   Aug 29, 2013 - 5:08 AM   

I had forgotten about that episode! Wow - yes, there was a real fuss about that one!

The episode I was on about - and after looking it up it appears I had my facts slightly wrong - was the season 1 episode "Conspiracy".

I forgot about this one too. One of the few highlights from season one. Surprised they didn't revisit this storyline

Posted:   Aug 29, 2013 - 11:11 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Ren & Stimpy claimed it had "UNCUT" episodes in big, block lettering on the cover, whereas the episodes contained therein were anything but. mad

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/13053/the-ren-and-stimpy-show-uncut-the-first-and-second-seasons.html

Posted:   Aug 29, 2013 - 11:22 AM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

Many, many errors in TV sets. Some that come to mind...

I Dream of Jeannie - most if not all episodes butchered/edited

The Cosby Show - Seasons 1 & 2 were the syndicated prints, not uncut in spite of what the cover says. One of the later season sets has two episodes mistitled and on the wrong discs.

Soap - butchered beyond belief

That '70s Show - Fox's season 1 & 2 releases (as opposed to Mill Creek) are the syndicated prints

Dallas - not a huge issue, but one episode (forget which one) has some sort of frame rate problem where everything is sped up so the actors sound like they're on helium.

The Bob Newhart Show - one season 3 or 4 episode has an opening title sequence from the later seasons after Bob moves to a different apartment. Doesn't make sense since he's still living in the old apartment. I kinda assumed that maybe the title sequence for that episode was damaged or lost and was therefore replaced, but from the wrong season.

Posted:   Aug 29, 2013 - 11:29 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

The recent Tiny Toon Adventures volume had an episode that turned into another episode at an act break. Thankfully they provided fixed discs.

Posted:   Aug 29, 2013 - 1:01 PM   

The UK box sets of the fantastic Jonathan Creek had some probs...if you bought the Season 1+2 box separate from the Season 3+4 box, you had edited versions of several episodes (cut for length for US broadcast, I think). If however you bought the full Season 1-4 box set, the episodes were unedited though one episode is non-anamorphic for some reason.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2013 - 5:46 AM   

Doctor Who - Lost in Time Boxset.

Note for owners of the region 1 set (US / Canada) - there is a fault which causes the picture to judder for a while around ten minutes into 'The Wheel of Fortune' (episode three of 'The Crusade'). This fault is NOT present on either our submitted videotape masters or the region 2 set. It appears to have been introduced downstream of us in either the standards conversion or authoring for the region 1 release.

http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/

Posted:   Aug 30, 2013 - 5:58 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Ren & Stimpy claimed it had "UNCUT" episodes in big, block lettering on the cover, whereas the episodes contained therein were anything but. mad

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/13053/the-ren-and-stimpy-show-uncut-the-first-and-second-seasons.html

Are they still worth getting? Only saw a handful of episodes back in the day.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2013 - 6:07 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

There have been TV shows (can't remember which off the top of my head) where they change the songs or replace the pop songs in the show -- don't remember if it was a rights thing or a costs thing.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2013 - 6:10 AM   
 By:   Matt S.   (Member)

The episode I was on about - and after looking it up i appears I had my facts slightly wrong - was the season 1 episode "Conspiracy".

I think "Conspiracy" was not shown in many outlets for some time due to the high level of violence and gore in that particular episode, particularly the part where Remmick's head explodes.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2013 - 6:11 AM   
 By:   Matt S.   (Member)

I believe The Muppet Show DVDs have had some episodes cut down, also due to problems with the licensing of the music, like The Wonder Years.

Posted:   Aug 30, 2013 - 6:18 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

There have been TV shows (can't remember which off the top of my head) where they change the songs or replace the pop songs in the show -- don't remember if it was a rights thing or a costs thing.

Married...With Children doesn't have the iconic Sinatra theme song on most of its sets due to licensing issues, and has a cheapo sound-alike replacement.

Are they still worth getting? Only saw a handful of episodes back in the day

It's worth watching for the quality, craftsmanship, style of the animation. Time and adulthood have not done great favors for the majority of Ren and Stimpy, though. I made it through the first set without much desire to continue.