Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 3, 2013 - 1:26 PM   
 By:   Jim Doherty   (Member)

Would anybody else out there be interested in reissues of some rare things from Decca LPs of the '50s?

Joe Caps has, in the past, mentioned that there was a rare 45 EP from THE CONQUEROR (Young), and that Decca had prepared a second volume of music from SAMSON AND DELILAH which was never released.

Add to this that great ISLAND IN THE SKY suite without narration (previously released on a Varese LP). Also, I wonder if the music-only tape of the edited music from the LP of Tiomkin's RETURN TO PARADISE still exists?

I mean, it would be great to have the full scores for these, but I don't know how many still exist. THE CONQUEROR was an RKO film, so those original tracks are probably gone; I'm not sure about SAMSON AND DELILAH; ISLAND IN THE SKY is right on the borderline. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but didn't Warners get rid of pre-1953 or 1954 music tracks? (Once again, I could be totally wrong about that.) Not sure on RETURN TO PARADISE either.

So, if at least if these Decca LP masters survive in the vaults somewhere, we could at least have SOMETHING from these films.

Posted:   Sep 3, 2013 - 3:06 PM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

Would anybody else out there be interested in reissues of some rare things from Decca LPs of the '50s?

Joe Caps has, in the past, mentioned that there was a rare 45 EP from THE CONQUEROR (Young), and that Decca had prepared a second volume of music from SAMSON AND DELILAH which was never released.

Add to this that great ISLAND IN THE SKY suite without narration (previously released on a Varese LP). Also, I wonder if the music-only tape of the edited music from the LP of Tiomkin's RETURN TO PARADISE still exists?

I mean, it would be great to have the full scores for these, but I don't know how many still exist. THE CONQUEROR was an RKO film, so those original tracks are probably gone; I'm not sure about SAMSON AND DELILAH; ISLAND IN THE SKY is right on the borderline. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but didn't Warners get rid of pre-1953 or 1954 music tracks? (Once again, I could be totally wrong about that.) Not sure on RETURN TO PARADISE either.

The problem now, of course, is the ruinous fire at Universal some years ago. We still don't know the extent of the loss of Decca-Kapp-Dot and other masters which were stored in those old tin-roofed backlot buildings. And I doubt if anyone wants that information out, even if they DO know.

Posted:   Sep 3, 2013 - 4:35 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

Would I?

You kidding?

That said, didn't someone come out with an ISLAND IN THE SKY CD just last year?

Posted:   Sep 3, 2013 - 8:27 PM   
 By:   philiperic   (Member)

The original music + effects tracks for SAMSON AND DELILAH is on the S&D laserdisc from the mid 90s .

Id welcome any Decca soundtrack releases.

Posted:   Sep 3, 2013 - 8:46 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

The problem now, of course, is the ruinous fire at Universal some years ago. We still don't know the extent of the loss of Decca-Kapp-Dot and other masters which were stored in those old tin-roofed backlot buildings. And I doubt if anyone wants that information out, even if they DO know.

Why wouldn't they want that information out, even if they do know?

Posted:   Sep 3, 2013 - 8:57 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Wasn't THE CONQUEROR handled differently than the other RKO pictures ? It was part of the personal library of films controlled by Howard Hughes. This group of films are now in the control of Universal Pictures. It would be great if the music elements did survive. I love Victor Young's score.

Posted:   Sep 6, 2013 - 8:02 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Would I?

You kidding?

That said, didn't someone come out with an ISLAND IN THE SKY CD just last year?

An LP transfer of "Island In the Sky" was released on CD by Disques CineMusique in September 2012. Disques CineMusique also released these other Decca albums that year:

For Whom the Bell Tolls (Victor Young) {August 2012}
Golden Earrings (Victor Young) {August 2012}
Imitation of Life (Frank Skinner) {March 2012}
Man of a Thousand Faces (Frank Skinner) {June 2012}
Omar Khayyam (Victor Young) {August 2012}
Run of the Arrow (Victor Young) {May 2012}
Written on the Wind (Victor Young, Frank Skinner) {June 2012}

Here are the DECCA soundtrack LPs that have not yet had any CD release:

Anne of the Thousand Days (Georges Delerue)
Back Street [download only] (Frank Skinner)
The Big Broadcast of 1936 [10-inch] (Ralph Rainger)
Blood and Sand [download only] (Alfred Newman)
The Countess From Hong Kong [download only] (Charles Chaplin)
Cowboy (George Duning)
The Eddy Duchin Story, The [download only] (source music)
Four Girls in Town (Alex North)
Goya (Vincente Gomez)
High Tor [TV] (Arthur Schwartz)
I’ll Never Forget What’s ‘Is Name (Francis Lai)
Jeanne Eagles (pop vocals, George Duning)
Knock On Wood (Sylvia Fine, Danny Kaye)
The Lively Set (Bobby Darin, various pop)
Madame X (Frank Skinner)
Magnificent Obsession (Frank Skinner)
Maracaibo (Laurindo Almeida)
A Matter of Innocence (Michel Legrand)
Music for Loretta [TV] (Harry Lubin)
Out of Sight [1966] (various pop)
Red Sky at Morning (Billy Goldenberg)
Return To Paradise [10-inch] (Dimitri Tiomkin, narration)
Rock, Pretty Baby (Henry Mancini, various pop)
Salome (George Duning, Daniele Amfitheatrof)
She Loves the Movies (Victor Young, Alfred Newman)
Shenandoah (Frank Skinner)
Slaughter on Tenth Avenue (Richard Rodgers)
The Snow Queen (Frank Skinner)
Sometimes a Great Notion (Henry Mancini)
Song of Bernadette [10-inch, re-recording] (Alfred Newman)
Taking Off (various pop)
Wild, Wild Winter (various pop)
Winning (Dave Grusin)

Posted:   Sep 6, 2013 - 9:19 PM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

.....Why wouldn't they want that information out, even if they do know?......

Archivists and fans would likely ask too many difficult questions about the studio's valuation of the elements and their protection, like:

1- Why would master elements be stored in old uninsulated warehouse sheds on the lot instead of a proper vault?

2- Why would crucial archival storage buildings be so close adjacent, or attached, to ancient, tinder-dry wooden backlot sets or mechanical or motor service buildings which might be the source of the beginnings of a fire?

3- Why would dupe protection elements not be available on EVERYTHING, including outtakes and alternate takes, and stored separately and safely from the masters in every case?

4- Why wouldn't stricter security surround these valuable storage buildings in which reside
a hefty percentage of the valuation of the corporation for stock market purposes?

These kinds of questions, if answered, might lead to speculation about the quality of upper-level studio management. Thus, it is best to say nothing to the general public, and let them speculate at will, as we are doing here.

Forgetting fires for a moment, just how much does anyone here actually know---in title by title detail---about the film/audio holdings of any major studio? Have YOU or anyone else EVER seen a complete, bar-coded print-out, listing piece-by-piece, negative by negative, every film item in the vaults? This is something only museums post online in detail for their holdings, not studios or other private corporations other than information posted in the most general sense.

Posted:   Sep 7, 2013 - 1:56 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Since the supply of 50-year-rule LP transfers is likely to dry up soon (because of the change to a 70-year rule), it would behoove some producer to try and get UMG to confirm or deny the existence of tapes for some of the above listed LPs that are of particular interest to collectors. If none can be located, the producer could then prepare authorized LP transfers of those recordings, before the supply of virgin LPs also diminishes. At least we'd have some sort of preservation of the music.

The problem, of course is that the market for those recordings is also rapidly drying up/dying off. So now is the best time to act. Time is our enemy.

Posted:   Sep 7, 2013 - 6:49 AM   
 By:   Stefan Huber   (Member)

The question is if the UMG TAPE vault would be the best source for these releases anyway. All the pre-tape stuff should be newly transferred either from shellac production elements (masters, stampers, etc.) or from commercial pressings. Transferring them from the LP masters or a LP itself will necessarily lead to a degradation in sound quality due to tape hiss (and more surface noise if transferred from a LP).

I hope that Universal/Paramount still has at least some of the session masters for post-1950 material LPs released by Decca/Dot/etc. (assuming they were not re-recordings to begin with). The situation is thus not as hopeless as it may seem - at least for soundtrack releases...