Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 7, 2013 - 10:01 AM   
 By:   deglialberi   (Member)

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before but after listening again last night to the Bruce Kimmel-produced, The Burt Bacharach Album: Broadway Sings Best Of Burt Bacharach, I was reminded of how great that little bonus is at the end of the CD. The pause between the last track and the funny conversation about Varese and "too much compression" is nearly two minutes long, so I'm sure a lot of people never heard it.

Is that Bruce himself talking to the sound engineers?

-Ned

Posted:   Sep 7, 2013 - 10:02 AM   

There's this long pause after the last track and then suddenly a guy (Bruce Kimmel?) starts talking to the recording engineers about how people complain about Varese applying too much compression on their CDs. Then they play a part of a track "without compression" (it actually sounds to me like just the return of the reverb on one of the faders ) and then they play a track with "too much compression" and a heavy metal rock track comes up. It's a fun little outtake that I would have expected to hear at the end of a comedy film score and not an album devoted to Burt Bacharach covers. It's a nice little surprise.

-Ned

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 6:51 PM   

Really? No one has this CD? You'd all love this Easter Egg.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 9:32 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

I have it smile

Yes, that's me and my engineer Vini. We've done a lot of hidden tracks starting way back in 1994 (yes, a decade before other labels here got on that particular bandwagon - go know) - there are some priceless ones - I have a complete list of them somewhere.

Posted:   Sep 9, 2013 - 5:49 AM   

I have it smile

Yes, that's me and my engineer Vini. We've done a lot of hidden tracks starting way back in 1994 (yes, a decade before other labels here got on that particular bandwagon - go know) - there are some priceless ones - I have a complete list of them somewhere.

Oh no, oh no... I know what THIS means. Being the nerd I am, I'm now going to have to go back and check every disc I own from this period. Even a list won't help as nerds think to themselves, "Humm... what if he forgot one? Better check 'em all to be sure." Oh, well. There's goes my free time for the next few days.

The Bacharach disc is a such nice production. Really seems a labor of love for all involved and you can hear it on every track - even in the engineering!

And I don't find it at all too compressed.smile

-Ned