Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 10, 2018 - 4:40 AM   
 By:   The Wanderer   (Member)

They Shall Not Grow Old
9.5/10
That Peter Jackson thing with the WW1 footage restored from grainy, jerky, eroded footage to smooth, colorized stuff. That's something I usually hate but it actually looked really good and worked very well in making the war more immediate and getting across the humour in particular of the soldiers on screen. Details like heavy canon being fired causing the roof slates of a nearby building to cascade off were remarkable to see. Sometimes in correcting it the footage looked a touch animated but I assume that was trying to fix the impossible in parts. The story, told only through the voices of those that served was very touching and at times grim. Definitely worth a watch.

At last - a film that The Wanderer's watched that I also want to. I knew it'd happen sooner or later!

Not watching Alligator is your loss!

Posted:   Dec 10, 2018 - 5:02 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

At last - a film that The Wanderer's watched that I also want to. I knew it'd happen sooner or later!

Not watching Alligator is your loss!

I was going to, but got mixed up and watched Accattone instead.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2018 - 5:13 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

And in the same mistake i watched Gator by accident.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2018 - 6:18 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Gator? The comedy action thriller in which Burt Reynolds directs himself as a moonshiner coerced into bringing down a local crime boss, score by Charles Bernstein?

Never heard of it!

Posted:   Dec 10, 2018 - 7:24 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

Dark Shadows (2012), it looks like it's a very disliked film (which is probably why I was able to pick up a s/hand Blu-ray in CEX for £1), but I really enjoyed it, a lot of fun. I've never seen the old TV series.

I remember enjoying Danny Elfman's music in Dark Shadows & a German company was selling the score CD s/hand for just over £6 delivered on Ebay, & it came today.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2018 - 8:20 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Gator? The comedy action thriller in which Burt Reynolds directs himself as a moonshiner coerced into bringing down a local crime boss, score by Charles Bernstein?

Never heard of it!

No this was a different Gator. With Burt Reynolds. Charlie B did write the music though. But the plot was different.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2018 - 1:03 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

CREED II 7.5 out of 10

Sorry Henry, but I liked the first CREED more than this sequel. Also, I too wish Stallone would have won the Oscar for that first CREED movie. He is decent in CREED II, but the sequel is really M. Jordan’s movie. Stallone was fine but kind of an accessory.

I found a few parts rather slow. A few scenes seem to drag. Other parts were fine. It follows the Rocky-Creed formula which means it is emotional or maybe emotionally manipulative which is fine with me. It is also spends time further developing the love story between Creed and Bianca. Of course, there are boxing bouts and training montages.

The score is just fine, and some of Conti’s original themes are subtlety woven into movie with his full themes near the end. I personally would have liked to have heard more of Conti’s themes.

There is a bit of sadness for me in this movie which is that it seems we will not see Rocky in any of the future Creed movies. Rocky appears to have handed the mantle entirely over to Creed. At least it seems like that in the movie.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2018 - 11:22 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

ROBIN HOOD (2018) - 7/10

Not a film that anyone needed or wanted, but probably no worse than Ridley Scott's 2010 version. This one casts Taron Egerton as Robin, a war-hardened young man back from the Crusades. Following him back is a Moor (Jamie Foxx), who's son's life Robin tried to save. The Moor's name translates in English to "John," and he becomes Robin's loyal partner in fighting the evil Sheriff of Nottingham.

The film has several large-scale action scenes/chases which run 5 minutes or more. (Remember when men dropping from trees or a one-on-one sword dual were enough action to sustain a Robin Hood film?) Nevertheless, it's those well-staged set-pieces that make the film worth seeing. Joseph Trapanese's score is today's usual action bombast.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2018 - 3:46 PM   
 By:   The Wanderer   (Member)

Mission impossible: fallout

6.3/10

It were awreet.