Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 29, 2013 - 8:22 AM   
 By:   Mike Skerritt   (Member)

I'm surprised this doesn't get more mention with the 80's-centric crowd we have here, particularly since it has a silver age nexus with Marvin Hamlisch scoring. D.A.R.Y.L. was one of those prototypical family-centric 80's movies where you had a silly, high concept plot treated with care and utter seriousness by the filmmakers. The score was no different, mixing portentious action beats with beautiful thematic material for the budding family relationship between the robot boy (yes) and his adoptive family. It seems ripe for the picking, coming from Paramount and never having gotten a release. I couldn't find any clips of the score but here's the end title song featuring the gorgeous main theme.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2013 - 1:12 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

New copies of the OOP Paramount DVD of the film are going for $37. I suspect that the Warner Archive will eventually reissue the title as a MOD DVD.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2013 - 2:09 PM   
 By:   Disco Stu   (Member)

I like the film for the simple fact that it's a mid 80s film and that the makers took it serious without getting to youthy, sacharin or raunchy. The track above however I can do well without. The opening scene whith the whistling on the other hand is a bittersweet tune.

D.S.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2013 - 6:06 PM   
 By:   Mike Skerritt   (Member)

I like the film for the simple fact that it's a mid 80s film and that the makers took it serious without getting to youthy, sacharin or raunchy.

Same here, D.S. To hear the synopsis (and even, really, to look at the cheesy DVD art), you'd think this was total trash, but it's a surprisingly affecting family film. It would make a nice double feature with the goofier FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR.

I thought something like this, with Hamlisch involved, might be up Bruce Kimmel's alley.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2013 - 6:14 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

About 1:14 in this clip you can hear a little bit of the score:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eZqGpgvcCw

Posted:   Sep 30, 2013 - 8:33 AM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

I really enjoyed this film as a kid, and thought the music was good.

I'd love to see this one released.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2013 - 10:33 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

It is a very sweet film, I love it.

But Barrett Oliver went from a cute kid to this kinda homeless looking guy.