Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 9:25 AM   
 By:   fisch   (Member)

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 23

AVATAR---James Cameron confirmed Stephen Lang is returning as Col. Miles Quaritch for the three sequels, "Steven was so memorable in the first film, we're privileged to have him back. I'm not going to say exactly HOW we're bringing him back, but it's a science fiction story, after all. His character will evolve into really unexpected places across the arc of our new three-film saga. I really look forward to working with such a gifted actor, who's also become a good friend."

GODZILLA---the reboot movie will have Godzilla battling several other monsters as was done in earlier Toho movies. One of the monsters is a giant, eight-legged spider named Muto who is apparently an homage to the giant spider Kumonga in 1967's SON OF GODZILLA.

EVEREST---Benedict Cumberbatch is the top candidate to replace Tom Hardy in this Sony Pictures movie about British mountain climber George Mallory who died in 1924 while attempting his third attempt to climb Mount Everest. Hardy left due to schedule problems. Other candidates to play Mallory and his Australian rival, George Finch, are Henry Cavill, Tom Hiddleston, Joel Kinnaman, James McAvoy, Luke Evans, Dan Stevens, Matthew Goode and Jim Sturgess.

ZOMBIE NIGHT---Syfy movie starring Darryl Hannah, Anthony Michael Hall and Shirley Jones in which two small town families battle zombies. John Gulager (FEAST) is the director. Premiers on October 26.

NATIONAL TREASURE 3---director Jon Turteltaub said a third movie is being considered, "We [the cast and producer Jerry Bruckheimer] want to do the movie, Disney wants to do the movie. We're just having the damnedest time writing it. I’ll bet that within two years, we’ll be shooting that movie. I’d say we’re about half-way there. It’s not only writing a great historical mystery, but we’ve gotta write something that has nothing to do with anything we’ve done before."

HOMELAND---Showtime renewed the series for Season 4 and renewed MASTERS OF SEX for Season 2.

LANCE ARMSTRONG---photo of Ben Foster as Lance Armstrong in this untitled biomovie based on the doping scandal book SEVEN DEADLY SINS.

JOHN BELUSHI---Emile Hirsch and Adam Devine are the top candidates to play John Belushi in this untitled biomovie. Joaquin Phoenix has also been mentioned as a possible candidate. Nelson Franklin is a candidate to play Dan Ackroyd who is a co-producer of the biomovie.

AMERICAN HORROR STORY: COVEN---Jessica Lange divulged her retirement plan, "I am coming to the end of acting. I have a list: another stage production, maybe one or two more movies, one more season of AMERICAN HORROR STORY... and then that is it for me. Because I think that's enough. I want to go out with a bang ... or should I say, a scare?"

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 9:34 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

GODZILLA---the reboot movie will have Godzilla battling several other monsters as was done in earlier Toho movies. One of the monsters is a giant, eight-legged spider named Muto who is apparently an homage to the giant spider Kumonga in 1967's SON OF GODZILLA.

That's very disappointing. I was really hoping for a "Wrath of God against mankind" kinda movie. Instead sounds like we are going to get monster wrestling. Toys, we must sell lots of toys. Should of known better than to expect anything other than a two hour toy commercial from Hollywood.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 9:45 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

I was really hoping for a "Wrath of God against mankind" kinda movie. Instead sounds like we are going to get monster wrestling. Toys, we must sell lots of toys. Should of known better than to expect anything other than a two hour toy commercial from Hollywood.

The ironic thing is, what should've been the number one toy franchise of the year (outside of the Marvel toy commercial movies), Pacific Rim, only had collector merchandise spurn from their jaeger versus kaiju epic. Fancy that, but I don't think toys are a huge selling point of merchandising anymore unless you consider the Disney stuff and the basement-dwellers still buying countless Star Wars action figures.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 9:48 AM   
 By:   fisch   (Member)

Supposedly the information about the Muto giant spider came from a toy website.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 10:05 AM   

Really a lot of the "Toy" market are geared towards adults nowadays. Other than say Marvel and Pixar toys, most movie merchandise are over priced limited edition stuff found on the likes of bigbadtoystore.

The other problem with having multiple monsters is the fact you equalize the threat. Good films are about the little guy defeating the stronger foe. Hulk fought another Hulk, Iron Man fought another Iron Man (though bigger) Superman fought Zod. It just equalizes the conflict and it becomes uninteresting.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 10:16 AM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

NATIONAL TREASURE 3---director Jon Turteltaub said a third movie is being considered, "We [the cast and producer Jerry Bruckheimer] want to do the movie, Disney wants to do the movie. We're just having the damnedest time writing it. I’ll bet that within two years, we’ll be shooting that movie. I’d say we’re about half-way there. It’s not only writing a great historical mystery, but we’ve gotta write something that has nothing to do with anything we’ve done before."

At least we know they are still pursuing it. Feels like it's been forever since the last one. The first two were only three years apart, but this December it will be six years since the second one. To say I'm getting antsy for the third would be an understatement.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 10:36 AM   
 By:   That Neil Guy   (Member)

AVATAR---James Cameron confirmed Stephen Lang is returning as Col. Miles Quaritch for the three sequels, "Steven was so memorable in the first film, we're privileged to have him back. I'm not going to say exactly HOW we're bringing him back, but it's a science fiction story, after all. His character will evolve into really unexpected places across the arc of our new three-film saga. I really look forward to working with such a gifted actor, who's also become a good friend."

Am I the only one who found Avatar so unmemorable that I have no idea what character they're talking about? The photo doesn't help me either.

All I remember from the movie is how depressing it was to hear the danger motif about two minutes in. And that the Colonial Marines from Aliens made an appearance. And then there were living trees or something.

And you kids get out of my yard.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 10:49 AM   

I "enjoyed" Avartar when I saw it. Didn't take anything away from it, nor have I had any interest in revisiting the film. But it was decent (though cliched) entertainment.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 11:27 AM   

Am I the only one who found Avatar so unmemorable that I have no idea what character they're talking about? The photo doesn't help me either.

All I remember from the movie is how depressing it was to hear the danger motif about two minutes in. And that the Colonial Marines from Aliens made an appearance. And then there were living trees or something.

And you kids get out of my yard.

You're not the only one. I finally saw it on cable over the summer and thought it was terrible. Visually impressive, yes. But everything else was nothing we hadn't seen before in a hundred other (better) movies. Scenes drag on, the action gets overbearing, actors overact, and even the visuals get boring to look at after awhile.

The thing that amused me about Avatar was how, when it first came out, everybody was recommending it based on the visuals. "You gotta see it! The special effects are amazing!" "The visuals are incredible. Go see it." I've never heard a single person say, "The story is really creative and impressive. You have to see it." Now that I've seen it, I can understand why. Haha!! Easily James Cameron's worst movie.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 1:00 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

Easily James Cameron's worst movie.

There speaks a man who has never see Piranha II: The Spawning wink

NATIONAL TREASURE 3---At least we know they are still pursuing it. Feels like it's been forever since the last one. The first two were only three years apart, but this December it will be six years since the second one. To say I'm getting antsy for the third would be an understatement.

Indeed - I share your antsyness! There's some good tales to be be woven in them thar hills....

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 1:14 PM   

There speaks a man who has never see Piranha II: The Spawning wink

I've seen parts of it, and I think I'd rather sit through it than Avatar again. At least that movie is over with quick, being barely 90 minutes.

Indeed - I share your antsyness! There's some good tales to be be woven in them thar hills....

Especially if they up the international scale, which Nicolas Cage has expressed interest in doing.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 8:45 PM   
 By:   Warlok   (Member)

Stephen Lang`s performance and his character were the best part of Avatar. Bringing him back? Hmmm. I guess its kind of the Michael Biehn syndrome, where bringing him back doesn`t make good theatrical sense, yet we all want to see it.

Thats Biehn Syndrome #2 I guess... the 1st one being "Hey! Really cool character played by Michael Biehn DIES... ."

I`m interested in seeing Avatar sequels, though more from a creative perspective than a dramatic one. And reign in the tribal chant 'we are family' moments. Uggh.

The spectacle of the presentation of a cohesive alien world has appeal.

Posted:   Oct 24, 2013 - 5:27 AM   
 By:   Dan Hobgood   (Member)

Avatar may just be the worst movie I've ever seen.

Dan

Posted:   Oct 24, 2013 - 5:30 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Vice versa, AVATAR may just be one of the BEST movies I've seen.

(it's good to see that my disconnect with Dan's preferences is back on track. At least we both agreed on the excellence of BREAKING BAD, if memory serves).

Posted:   Oct 24, 2013 - 8:42 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Then you must not have seen many movies.

Posted:   Oct 24, 2013 - 9:03 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

Then you must not have seen many movies.

He hasn't seen any Will Ferrell movies, it seems.

Posted:   Oct 24, 2013 - 9:03 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

DP