Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 1, 2013 - 10:22 AM   
 By:   sheetmusicman   (Member)

Ron Grainer composed the theme to the 1967 British T.V. series, MAN IN A SUITCASE. The tune was later used by Chris Evans as the theme for his entertainment show TFI FRIDAY.

As part of a series of performances of obscure sheet music from the collection of Richard Kraft, pianist Mike Farrell was handed this tune and sight-reads it on the spot.

MAN IN A SUITCASE (Theme from)
Note: TV Theme
Note: British Edition

For more info:
http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=96853&forumID=1&archive=0

Posted:   Nov 2, 2013 - 6:42 AM   
 By:   ToneRow   (Member)

Thanks!

Ron Grainer's theme takes on a different character when not performed on brass and ... instead ... heard in a piano-solo reduction.

Still, it's very nice to hear a non-Hollywood TV tune amongst the tide of big name composers. smile

Posted:   Nov 2, 2013 - 7:50 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

Yes, very interesting. But that original recording, brass and all, is SO damn catchy. One of Grainer's very best.

After Doctor Who of course. Got anyone playing that on piano during the show's 50th Anniversary year? After all Grainer's MOST celebrated theme is still being heard all over the world today, and played at the BBC Proms in the Royal Albert Hall just about every couple of years.

Posted:   Nov 2, 2013 - 1:15 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

..... that original recording, brass and all, is SO damn catchy. One of Grainer's very best.

True enuf.
But its basically THE PRISONER theme with a diffrent melody!
bruce

Posted:   Nov 2, 2013 - 8:39 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Nicely done.

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 4:48 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

..... that original recording, brass and all, is SO damn catchy. One of Grainer's very best.

True enuf.
But its basically THE PRISONER theme with a diffrent melody!
bruce

They're different beats too though aren't they? I've heard the slow version of The Prisoner too, and I don't quite get the same tune personally. Though I'm no musician admittedly.

Both excellent, mind.

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 2:58 PM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

Very nice, and as much as I like the singing, it's always great to get back to the piano solo!