Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 10:52 AM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

1… 36 Hours (Seaton)
2… The Collector (Wyler)
3… The Ipcress File (Furie)
4… The Hill (Lumet)
5… Major Dundee (Peckinpah)
6… The War Lord (Schaffner)
7… The Bedford Incident (Harris)
8… Young Cassidy (Cardiff/Ford)
9… Mirage (Dmytryk)
10… La 317e section (Schoendoerffer)

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 11:25 AM   
 By:   juhana   (Member)

1. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
2. Doctor Zhivago
3. The Ipcress File
4. Falstaff (AKA Chimes At Midnight)
5. The War Lord
6. Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
7. For A Few Dollars More
8. The Heroes Of Telemark
9. Thunderball
10. Von Ryan's Express

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 11:35 AM   
 By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

1. Lord Jim (R. Brooks)

----- I was so impressed with seeing a 70mm presentation of this at the Cinerama two years ago that I'm not sure if I can go back to seeing this film even on a first rate DVD or Blu-Ray!

2. The Flight of the Phoenix (Aldrich)

3. In Harm’s Way (Preminger)

4. Juliet of the Spirits (Fellini)

5. Doctor Zhivago (Lean)

6. Shakespeare Wallah (Ivory)

7. The Sound of Music (Wise)

8. The Hill (Lumet)

9. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (Ritt)

10. Ship of Fools (Kramer)

also good: Repulsion, A Thousand Clowns, For a Few Dollars More, The Great Race, Bunny Lake is Missing, The Loved One, What's New Pussycat, The War Lord, Shenandoah, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, Help!, The Ipcress File, The Agony and the Ecstasy, Thunderball, Yo Yo, The Moment of Truth.

still need to see: Red Beard, Sandra, The Satan Bug, Major Dundee, Morituri, Mickey One, The Slender Thread, Inside Daisy Clover, Red Line 7000, Othello, Having a Wild Weekend, Tokyo Olympiad, The Shop on Main Street, My Home is Copacabana, The Saragossa Manuscript.

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 11:55 AM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

I always thought that LORD JIM was originally a roadshow. I have a copy of the souvenir program, which is frequently available on E-Bay. The mother of one of my friends at the time saw it in New York, where, she said, it was longer than it is now, with a lot more talky sections by, among others, the James Mason character. At one point, Columbia had announced a laser release that would have a running time of around 180 mins. However, everyone else on this Board, it seems, says it never had a running time that long, and has always been the time it is now, about 158 mins. or so.

But I still think my friend's mother saw a longer version, and would like to see that some day.

I'd also love a complete soundtrack release of Bronislau Kaper's score, though I've heard it is lost. (Something that sounds like the original Entr'Acte is on the released recording, available on FSM, but I'm not aware of an overture or exit music.)

Oh well.

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 12:16 PM   
 By:   Essankay   (Member)

• THE 10TH VICTIM
  • ALPHAVILLE
  • LE BONHEUR
  • CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT
  • DARLING
  • FISTS IN THE POCKET
  • THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
  • FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
  • JULIET OF THE SPIRITS
  • THE LOVED ONE
  • REPULSION
  • SANDS OF THE KALAHARI
  • THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET
  • SIMON OF THE DESERT
  • THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD
  • THE WAR GAME

•  

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 12:51 PM   
     By:   jenkwombat   (Member)

The Sound of Music
    Help!
    Dr. Zhivago
    Thunderball
    For A Few Dollars More

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 1:20 PM   
     By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

The Great Race
    Lord Jim
    Flight Of The Phoenix
    The Hill
    The War Lord
    In Harm's Way
    What's New Pussycat

...all still waiting for an HD Blu-ray release.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 10:33 AM   
     By:   ToneRow   (Member)

• REPULSION
  • BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING
  • FISTS IN THE POCKET
  • ALPHAVILLE
  • THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD
  • THE NANNY
  • THE LOVED ONE
  • THE BEDFORD INCIDENT
  • THE HILL

•  

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 11:04 AM   
     By:   joan hue   (Member)

The Collector
    Sound Of Music
    Cat Ballou
    Greatest Story Ever Told
    King Rat
    Bunny Lake Is Missing
    Patch of Blue
    Repulsion

( While these are not my favorite movies, I must say that three of my favorite scores were composed for 1965 movies: Hallelujah Trail (didn't like the movie, but the music is amazing), Sons Of Katie Elder, and The Glory guys.)

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 5:07 PM   

1. Lord Jim (R. Brooks)

----- I was so impressed with seeing a 70mm presentation of this at the Cinerama two years ago that I'm not sure if I can go back to seeing this film even on a first rate DVD or Blu-Ray!

Then whatever you do don't look at the DVD, it's REALLY soft with flat faded colours. Sony do some great work on their older films these days, & I'm hoping that a stunning looking Blu-ray is released, maybe next year.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 5:42 PM   
     By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

1. Lord Jim (R. Brooks)

Then whatever you do don't look at the DVD, it's REALLY soft with flat faded colours. Sony do some great work on their older films these days, & I'm hoping that a stunning looking Blu-ray is released, maybe next year.

Yes, I saw the DVD a year before I saw the 70mm showing and thought it was just OK. It was that showing that really made me realize how much of the experience I was missing. I hope a better transfer is in the works, but even more so I hope the Cinerama in Seattle schedules "Jim" again for one of their future 70mm fests. smile

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 8:36 PM   
     By:   PhiladelphiaSon   (Member)

THE SOUND OF MUSIC
    A PATCH OF BLUE
    THUNDERBALL
    GIRL HAPPY
    THE LOVED ONE

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 4:54 AM   
     By:   Angelillo   (Member)

My 5 favourite films of 1965 not including the obvious out-of-competition status for
    Mackendrick's A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA are :

AKAHIGE
    COMPARTIMENT TUEURS
    IT HAPPENED HERE
    MNE DYADTSAT LET
    (uncensored version)
    YOYO

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 5:13 AM   

One of the spookiest movies ever because of its documentary treatment.

It premiered in Cannes in 1965 and Imdb has listed it as a 1965 movie (I had mistakenly considered it as a 1966 movie in the first place).

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 8:07 AM   

I completely forgot...

An outstanding soviet movie that has had trouble with censorship and eventually got released a few years ago only in its originally intended 3 hours-long cut.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 8:36 AM   

One of the spookiest movies ever because of its documentary treatment.

It premiered in Cannes in 1965 and Imdb has listed it as a 1965 movie (I had mistakenly considered it as a 1966 movie in the first place).

One of my oldest film books is Kevin Brownlow's, How It Happened Here, about the making of It Happened Here. He & John Mollo started filming it on 16mm, & after bumping into Stanley Kubrick at London's NFT (as you do!), & telling him about the project, Kubrick agreed to give him the 35mm short ends from Doctor Strangelove, so what started filming in 1956 as an amateur 16mm film, over the years became a professional film that opened at the London Pavilion cinema (I saw quite a few films there). It's a great book, if you can find a copy. Over the years I ran a few films on telecine for Kevin Brownlow, a really nice guy.

Short ends = the bit of film left on the roll that you don't use. If you're doing long takes & there's only 200'of film left on the roll, then you'd take it out & reload so as not to run out of film half way through a take...something you really don't want to do with Kubrick directing!

And after all that...I've never seen the film!

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 8:48 AM   

One of my oldest film books is Kevin Brownlow's, How It Happened Here, about the making of It Happened Here. He & John Mollo started filming it on 16mm, & after bumping into Stanley Kubrick at London's NFT (as you do!), & telling him about the project, Kubrick agreed to give him the 35mm short ends from Doctor Strangelove, so what started filming in 1956 as an amateur 16mm film, over the years became a professional film that opened at the London Pavilion cinema (I saw quite a few films there). It's a great book, if you can find a copy. Over the years I ran a few films on telecine for Kevin Brownlow, a really nice guy.

Short ends = the bit of film left on the roll that you don't use. If you're doing long takes & there's only 200'of film left on the roll, then you'd take it out & reload so as not to run out of film half way through a take...something you really don't want to do with Kubrick directing!

Many thanks for the tip !

I had the chance to meet this very gentle and nice guy three years ago in France and he autographed me two books (Lean's biography and Hollywood). He's a terrific story teller. We had a nice chat after the run of WINSTANLEY. Of course I forgot half of the questions I had intended to ask him but it happened to be a very nice encounter.

He's a very modest person and seemed very surprised to be asked by so many people to autograph some of his books.

Can't wait to find and read the book you mention.

Thanks !

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 9:11 AM   

Thanks to Essankay for remembering...

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 9:27 AM   
     By:   Essankay   (Member)

Thanks to Essankay for remembering...

My pleasure, Angelillo. Watkins did some great work, very sad he's almost completely forgotten now.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 1:06 PM   
     By:   Zambra Alex   (Member)

1. The War Lord
    2. The great race
    3. Le corniaud
    4. Pierrot le fou
    5. Thunderball
    6. Help!
    7. Once a thief
    8. Shenandoah
    10. Les bon vivants
    11. For a few dollars mor