Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 11:24 AM   
 By:   Bond1965   (Member)

I just got a catalog of Pop Culture books here at work and I see there's a new book on Film Composing by Ennio Morricone and Sergio Miceli.

Here's a link with some page samples for anyone interested. It's probably more a more scholarly book than something you'd read for leisure:

http://www.amazon.com/Composing-Cinema-Theory-Praxis-Music-ebook/dp/B00G1LKWIC

James

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 1:06 PM   
 By:   Ludwig van   (Member)

I just flipped through this today at a musicology conference. Looks very, very good. Morricone himself says so much about what he was thinking with so many of his best-known scores. An absolute gold mine. I'm ordering one for sure.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 4:14 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

So much of this stuff gets reprinted from other publications, most of whch has only been available in italian and is so heavy translators have difficulty putting it into english.
not so long ago there was a coffee table book with quite a few quotes from morricone about different films and directors. its possible one is taken from the other. There is a book in italian with the same title as this - whether it is the same one, first time in english, is not known to me.
Be warned, as some of you will know, usually anything by miceli is as heavy as concrete and can only be interpreted by other composers and experienced musicologists. But buried among the reams of complexity, are often some choice morricone stories.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 1:29 PM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

I own the 2001 edition and it is a fantastic volume, incredibly full of music sheet examples from a lot of Morricone soundtracks.

Besides there's more Morricone's writing than Miceli's so the book is pretty enjoyable (at least for a film music die-hard fan).