Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:23 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

I recently watched ALVAREZ KELLY and , like so many post HIGH NOON westerns, it contains a title song.
Seems this trend continued to about the late sixties - CAT BALLOU might have been the 'swan song' on this disrespected genre.

SO, what was the last of the gunfighter ballads?

bruce

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:29 PM   
 By:   Brad Wills   (Member)

I recently watched ALVAREZ KELLY and , like so many post HIGH NOON westerns, it contains a title song.
Seems this trend continued to about the late sixties - CAT BALLOU might have been the 'swan song' on this disrespected genre.

bruce

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:30 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Alvarez Kelly, I'll say it once more
Alvarez Kelly, the Irish senor

If only the last gunfighter ballad had been the one just before that.
TG

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:35 PM   

Alvarez Kelly, I'll say it once more
Alvarez Kelly, the Irish senor

If only the last gunfighter ballad had been the one just before that.
TG

the "Irsih Senor" indeed!
brm

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:36 PM   

bruce

]

Parodies don't count
(hey its my thread, i make the rules!)
lol!
bruce

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:39 PM   

bruce

]

Parodies don't count
lol!
bruce

Does it count if the singer didn't know it was a parody?

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:54 PM   
 By:   Brad Wills   (Member)

Parodies don't count
lol!
bruce

Ah, come on! BLAZING SADDLES could easily be a serious song, and I'm adamantly not kidding. Let's look at it not as a parody, but as a sly and loving tribute.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:56 PM   

Parodies don't count
lol!
bruce

Ah, come on! BLAZING SADDLES could easily be serious song, and I'm dead serious. Let's look at it not as a parody, but as a sly and loving tribute.

well, if you count CAT BALLOU i guess BS can be included.
But, NO MORE PARODIES
smile
bruce

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:59 PM   

bruce

]

Parodies don't count
lol!
bruce

Does it count if the singer didn't know it was a parody?

"Does it count if the singer didn't know it was a parody"

That is a very existential question, TG.
who knew you were influenced by french philosophy!
brm

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 2:03 PM   
 By:   robertmro   (Member)

Apparently you haven't watched "Quick Draw" on Hulu.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 2:49 PM   

Edited out previous comments so as not to sully an otherwise disappointingly sensible thread.

frown

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 4:23 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

A few in the twilight years of that genre would be THE GOOD GUYS AND THE BAD GUYS-69- CHISUM-70-We all know by the early to mid 70's the western took a dive in popularity. By the time they started to come back a bit in the 80's opening credit songs were not really in.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 4:23 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

A few in the twilight years of that genre would be THE GOOD GUYS AND THE BAD GUYS-69- CHISUM-70-We all know by the early to mid 70's the western took a dive in popularity. By the time they started to come back a bit in the 80's opening credit songs were not really in.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 6:01 PM   
 By:   Ray Worley   (Member)

I miss those title songs too, but the dearth of Westerns probably has something to do with it...along with the general falling out of favor of title songs in general. Other than the Bond films, how many title songs have there been in recent years?

The "Frankie Laine didn't know BLAZING SADDLES was a parody" story is kind of suspect. The prevailing theory seems to be that it is apocryphal. Mel Brooks is the only source I've seen for that tale and he himself will admit to stretching the truth when it makes for a good funny story.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 7:49 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

I thought this thread was going to be about that song in the opening credits of "Death of the Cowboy."

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 11:28 PM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

bruce

Are you excluding the European ((I) spaghetti (/I)) variety?

Mitch

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 10:41 AM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

The "Frankie Laine didn't know BLAZING SADDLES was a parody" story is kind of suspect. The prevailing theory seems to be that it is apocryphal. Mel Brooks is the only source I've seen for that tale and he himself will admit to stretching the truth when it makes for a good funny story.

Well I'm pretty sure I read about it in Mr Laine's own biography, where he himself claimed not to have realised the "spoof" element. From what I can recall, he was on a concert tour in South Africa or thereabouts when he went into a cinema to view the film and "slunk back in his seat" as he became aware of the comedy goings-on. And Frankie did take things seriously - or at least gave that impression in his book!

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 3:53 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

like dan said i was going to say the last old fashioned one might have been Chisum
i recall thinking how corny it sounded altho i know the score has some fans.

Im guessing that maybe Monte Walsh might have one of the latest. With Cable Hogue and Soldier Blue.
and Judge roy bean, altho i cant recall if the prominent song was a title song?

From noon till three was quite late!!

Italian westerns carried the tradition on throughout because the singles were pop chart moneymakers.

What year was Keoma, that mustv been one of the last ones with singing.
before that maybe return of sabata?? and the comedy westerns like trinity.

Somebody will name one from mid 70s which will blow all of my mentions out ofthe water!!

good thread el bruco.

I suspect many of the 70s westerns had more adult themes so generally the corny song didnt fit their grim and dusty reality.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 10:01 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Im guessing that maybe Monte Walsh might have one of the latest. With Cable Hogue and Soldier Blue. and Judge roy bean, altho i cant recall if the prominent song was a title song?

Wild Rovers was still to come after Monte Walsh, Soldier Blue and Cable Hogue.

(I just remembered the song didn't appear in the finished film, only on the CDs)

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 11:23 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

There was a song throughout mcCabe and mrs miller too wasnt there?
Dunno if it was the title song too.
We're probably naming all the films leading up to the final one, even if we havent nailed the definitive one yet!!