Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 8:38 AM   
 By:   Octoberdog   (Member)

Two threads in which the same people keep on posting their disgust with two tracks from a score by a composer they don't like, for a movie by a director they don't like, adapted from a novel whose protagonist is called Muad´dib - and some of those people claim they are connoisseurs of that novel despite their ignorance about the clear parallels to the Muslim experience.
Satire?
You don't like this music. Fine. I don't really love it either. I also think Zimmer is highly overrated but a constant self-promoter of the highest degree.
But no one can change the fact that he composed the score to this movie.
If you don't like it, move on to something you like. It´s as simple as that.

Okay, how about this...
The 2 tracks are extremely well-arranged, well-produced and well-recorded crap.
Is that any better?
Or are you going to maintain that we can ONLY talk about things we like and never talk about things we dislike?
I posted my thought about 2 tracks on a thread about those 2 tracks. How beastly of me.

I think Zimmer is capable of better.

BTW, show me where I used the word "connoisseur" to describe myself.
Or where I said I didn't like the composer or director.

Keep breaking' them debate Commandments, folks. big grin

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 1:05 PM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

Two threads in which the same people keep on posting their disgust with two tracks from a score by a composer they don't like, for a movie by a director they don't like, adapted from a novel whose protagonist is called Muad´dib - and some of those people claim they are connoisseurs of that novel despite their ignorance about the clear parallels to the Muslim experience.
Satire?
You don't like this music. Fine. I don't really love it either. I also think Zimmer is highly overrated but a constant self-promoter of the highest degree.
But no one can change the fact that he composed the score to this movie.
If you don't like it, move on to something you like. It´s as simple as that.

Okay, how about this...
The 2 tracks are extremely well-arranged, well-produced and well-recorded crap.
Is that any better?
Or are you going to maintain that we can ONLY talk about things we like and never talk about things we dislike?
I posted my thought about 2 tracks on a thread about those 2 tracks. How beastly of me.

I think Zimmer is capable of better.

BTW, show me where I used the word "connoisseur" to describe myself.
Or where I said I didn't like the composer or director.

Keep breaking' them debate Commandments, folks. big grin

No commandment here, but how many posts and threads do you need to say you do not like something? One gets the impression that you want your personal disgust to be everyone’s.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 1:08 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

No commandment here, but how many posts and threads do you need to say you do not like something? One gets the impression that you want your personal disgust to be everyone’s.

Flip a coin. Are they trolling or simply racist?

No matter which side it lands on, its right.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 1:10 PM   

Oh my goodness, how the feathers got ruffled.
I think I will start my faux-ethnic wailing!

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 1:25 PM   

Hmm.
No answers to my last questions, either.
"Very revealing" indeed.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 1:28 PM   
 By:   Totoro   (Member)

I don't think it can be called music.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 2:10 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

You´re absolutely right.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 7:57 AM   

You´re absolutely right.

Still no answers to my questions WillGold?
Except for your comments to further stoke the flaming, I see.
Yes, very revealing.
But I'll continue to wait. big grin

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 8:07 AM   
 By:   King Solium   (Member)

You´re absolutely right.

Oct is neither and he has a right to say whatever he wants as long as its not against the board rules.
BTW, I did you a solid by deleting my "offensive" post in the other thread and you did not delete my quote from your post. What gives?

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 8:08 AM   
 By:   King Solium   (Member)

Oh my goodness, how the feathers got ruffled.
I think I will start my faux-ethnic wailing!

LMAO!

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 8:18 AM   

Oct is neither and he has a right to say whatever he wants as long as its not against the board rules.
BTW, I did you a solid by deleting my "offensive" post in the other thread and you did not delete my quote from your post. What gives?

Props much appreciated, Comrade.
Thinking in 3D is all but a lost art.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 8:21 AM   

But I was totally serious when I quipped on that "other" thread that Yared should have been given a chance.
I'd be very interested to see/hear what he'd have come up with.

To think it was all because of a "Troy" test-screening...

Posted:   Aug 12, 2021 - 3:49 AM   
 By:   Adventures of Jarre Jarre   (Member)

• Then again I do think Denis Villeneuve’s filmmaking is equally oppressive - maybe it’s the moods he wants to capture or the stories he wants to tell but Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner all have this heavy depressing fog that hangs over the film, reinforced by the lighting, cinematography, acting, sound design, and music. A lot of emotional coldness that likely could have been prevented by a different director.

It could be noted that Villeneuve, Nolan, and Aronofsky took their influence from Kubrick and ran with it.

•  

Posted:   Aug 13, 2021 - 6:12 AM   
     By:   MikeyKW   (Member)

I'm not sure if this has already been posted: https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/hans-zimmer-composed-second-dune-score-book-1234657713/

Posted:   Aug 13, 2021 - 6:26 AM   

It could be noted that Villeneuve, Nolan, and Aronofsky took their influence from Kubrick and ran with it.

Interesting you said Aronofsky. I don't see that from my end at all.

Nolan though? He'd do anything he could to be Kubrick, down to wearing the same clothes and eating the same food if he could.

Posted:   Aug 13, 2021 - 6:29 AM   

Interesting you said Aronofsky. I don't see that from my end at all.

Nolan though? He'd do anything he could to be Kubrick, down to wearing the same clothes and eating the same food if he could.

Kubrick would never hire a charlatan like Zimmer to score his movies.

So, no.

Posted:   Aug 13, 2021 - 6:34 AM   

Would you log off your Brazilian ISP, Andre Lux? You've been banned from here several times already.

Posted:   Aug 13, 2021 - 6:53 AM   

Posted:   Aug 13, 2021 - 7:12 AM   
     By:   AdoKrycha007   (Member)

Kubrick would never hire a charlatan like Zimmer to score his movies.

So, no.

Zimmer was rejected from the Full Metal Jacket movie.
    Hans said that in Alec Baldwin's podcast -
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hans-zimmer-scores/id472939437?i=1000519981196

Posted:   Aug 13, 2021 - 7:15 AM   

Zimmer was rejected from the Full Metal Jacket movie.
    Hans said that in Alec Baldwin's podcast -
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hans-zimmer-scores/id472939437?i=1000519981196

I was rejected for the main role in Kubrick's SPARTACUS too at the last minute in favor of another less talented actor.

It is true. You can believe me 100%.