Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 2, 2021 - 1:45 PM   
 By:   TominAtl   (Member)

Saw this in IMAX yesterday, nearly empty theatre of course.

The movie - better than King of the Monsters in terms of CGI effects and cinematography but still not up the level of realism detail from the first film. It did remind me of Pacific Rim in terms of the effects. Some worked wonderfully and some not so much.

In terms of other matters - well, there is virtually no buildup of tension or wow factor when it comes to the 2 titans meeting each other for the first time. The film goes at breakneck speed to set up the action and thus has no emotional or visceral payoff. It's "rockem sockem" monster showdown and they start slugging it out within a matter of minutes after the film starts, or at least it seemed so. There is no dramatic building up that delivers a satisfying payoff.

The human characters are barely 2 dimensional at best and Kyle Chandler's character...does absolutely nothing other than talk on his phone to his daughter and play a worried father. The rest of the cast are barely worth mentioning.

The best part of the film is the cool first fight scene in Hong Kong. It's a wicked slugfest between the 2, nicely choreographed. And the Mechagodzilla is nifty and you can see how it's obviously going to end the moment Mecha is introduced.

So there is nothing new here and after this film the novelty of seeing Godzilla and Kong wears off very quickly and it perilously starts getting close to boredom.

The score...

Ummmm...as heard in the film, which I did several times on occasion, sounded awful. There are electronics in here that would have made me cringed back in the 70's and 80's. I heard some of Godzilla's theme here and there but lots of deep bass reverb and other synth sounds that just were annoying as hell.

Overall, aside from the mostly good effects and fight scenes, the movie is disappointment

Posted:   Apr 2, 2021 - 3:58 PM   
 By:   bondo321   (Member)

Watched it last night and had a blast! As far as it stacking up to the previous films... about the same? I enjoyed the Edgar Rice Burroughs direction it took, and the music as heard in the film actually made me want to listen to it by itself. I loved the Godzilla motif and the electronics gave it a very unique feel that I wasn’t expecting. Would definitely recommend to genre fans and would definitely watch it again.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2021 - 7:59 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

the movie is disappointment.

Ditto for me TominAtl. Glad others liked it, but I didn't care for it.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 7:17 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Can anyone confirm which streaming platforms this is on? It appears to be on Apple TV + which requires a subscription. I got an offer from Apple for one free year of Apple TV +. If its on there I'll take them up on the offer.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 7:28 AM   
 By:   jfallon   (Member)

Can anyone confirm which streaming platforms this is on? It appears to be on Apple TV + which requires a subscription. I got an offer from Apple for one free year of Apple TV +. If its on there I'll take them up on the offer.

Pretty sure HBO Max is the only platform. They have exclusive rights. You see it on Apple TV because it is advertising it on the HBO MAX app on it.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 7:31 AM   

Pretty sure HBO Max is the only platform. They have exclusive rights. You see it on Apple TV because it is advertising it on the HBO MAX app on it.

Okay thxs, I had a feeling Apple TV + were trying to pull a fast one of me by making it look like it was on their streaming channel.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 2:52 PM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

Just watched this on Amazon Prime in UK.

Truly awful.............very few redeeming features.

The score is poor. Generic crap that we have heard in multiple action films since the 90s. Endless noise.

Big disappointment.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 6:36 PM   

The score is poor. Generic crap that we have heard in multiple action films since the 90s. Endless noise.

Big disappointment.

Okay I managed to watch this. I agree, huge disappointment. Most of the problems plaguing the other two Zilla films remain. I totally disagree with the majority of reviews regarding this film.

It's to busy, fast cutting, cluttered, noisy mess. That's just the esthetics, the story and characters are a disaster all their own.

I much prefer King of Monsters with all its faults over this.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 7:03 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Big disappointment.

Okay I managed to watch this. I agree, huge disappointment. Most of the problems plaguing the other two Zilla films remain. I totally disagree with the majority of reviews regarding this film.

It's to busy, fast cutting, cluttered, noisy mess. That's just the esthetics, the story and characters are a disaster all their own.

To be perfectly fair, the film at least had a dearth - in relative terms of course - of wokeness, which. made the viewing much less of a pain as would have been with most Hollywood film the days.

Also, there were some great monster battles. Godzilla's radioactive breath is always an awesome sight to behold (and Kong doesn't know how lucky he was to avoid the Big G's wrath).

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 7:11 PM   

Big disappointment.

To be perfectly fair, the film at least had a dearth - in relative terms of course - of wokeness, which. made the viewing much less of a pain as would have been with most Hollywood film the days.

Also, there were some great monster battles. Godzilla's radioactive breath is always an awesome sight to behold (and Kong doesn't know how lucky he was to avoid the Big G's wrath).

Dearth? Maybe... They walloped a punch when the little girl and her foster mom called the white male lead a coward at the beginning of the film. Totally uncalled for and another sh*t on white man pandering.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 7:46 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Big disappointment.

Dearth? Maybe... They walloped a punch when the little girl and her foster mom called the white male lead a coward at the beginning of the film. Totally uncalled for and another sh*t on white man pandering.

I know, but as I said: "in relative terms". We're talking an infinitesimal amount compared to what's usually going on these days.

I more or less ignored those characters, ignored the girl from the previous film, ignored that her friend was portrayed as massive cuck, and also ignored the fact that a certain demographic always seems to be portrayed as either imbeciles or villains (dumb, lazy, obvious, moronic propanganda, no more, no less). I mostly shrugged it off or laughed or scoffed at it. If Matrix were here, he'd laugh too.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 10:26 PM   
 By:   Mephariel   (Member)

Big disappointment.

This is why I hang out here I guess. A bunch of crabby old men reminding me how young I am. Seriously, that is what you got out of that movie?

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 10:43 PM   
 By:   funkymonkeyjavajunky   (Member)

I just watched the film. The score reminded me of Vangelis and Daft Punk.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2021 - 11:00 PM   
 By:   Spinmeister   (Member)

Posted:   Apr 4, 2021 - 2:20 AM   
 By:   AdoKrycha007   (Member)

Hahahah good joke, Jimbo.

Posted:   Apr 4, 2021 - 7:02 AM   

Big disappointment.

This is why I hang out here I guess. A bunch of crabby old men reminding me how young I am. Seriously, that is what you got out of that movie?

I got nothing out of it. It was so overly stupefyingly convoluted and dumb I had to stop and check how much time was left in the middle of a big action scene. It wasn't even two hours long and I couldn't wait for it to end. I was bored during one of the big action scenes, that's how uninvolving this film was. This coming from someone who quite liked King of the Monsters. The constant woke crap was the least of its problems.

Posted:   Apr 4, 2021 - 9:25 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

I enjoyed GvK enough the day I watched it. Much like its predecessors, however, I have no urge to ever see it again.

By contrast, I put on Daimajin, or War of the Gargantuas, or even The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (I also love Gorgo!) every once in a while and love them. The SFX aren't great by today's standards, but the writing was infinitely better.

Posted:   Apr 4, 2021 - 10:04 AM   
 By:   bondo321   (Member)

Loved it! It matched the scifi stylings of the movie and director Adam Wingard’s aesthetic.

Posted:   Apr 4, 2021 - 11:25 AM   

Yeah, I didn't hear anything like that either.

Posted:   Apr 4, 2021 - 5:08 PM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

There were moments I got that vibe when I listened to the score on album the first time. Was glad to hear some of that when I watched the movie, too, which I quite enjoyed.