Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 2:36 PM   
 By:   Peter Atterberg   (Member)

I fucking love Zimmer’s work on Dune that we’ve heard so far. Really awesome stuff. The frequent Zimmer haters are just going to hate for the sake of it.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 2:54 PM   
 By:   Mephariel   (Member)

I fucking love Zimmer’s work on Dune that we’ve heard so far. Really awesome stuff. The frequent Zimmer haters are just going to hate for the sake of it.

What struck me was that I came in thinking I will hate a lot of the female vocal stuff because they will sound too much like Gladiator, but those are actually some of my favorites in the album, especially in "I See You In My Dreams" and "House Atreides." The dissonance composition in the later cues...I am not too big of a fan. It is also curious that the teaser trailer theme is not in the sketchbook. Can't wait to see how all these themes come together in the final album.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 3:07 PM   

What struck me was that I came in thinking I will hate a lot of the female vocal stuff because they will sound too much like Gladiator, but those are actually some of my favorites in the album, especially in "I See You In My Dreams" and "House Atreides." The dissonance composition in the later cues...I am not too big of a fan. It is also curious that the teaser trailer theme is not in the sketchbook. Can't wait to see how all these themes come together in the final album.

I am curious about that too. I want to hear how this music plays out in the film. Zimmer really took a nice approach with this score that deviants from some of his usual action scores. Really wish the haters would just give it a rest for a movie. The real reason Zimmer gets the hate he does is because of his success.

I just purchased Sketchbook soundtrack and it is downloading now. I was listening to it off of WaterTower Music's official youtube channel so I don't have track names to go with what I've heard so far. The female voices in each song are hypnotizing. I love the slight sound effects that sound like thunder, gun fire, wind, etc throughout this album. I can tell that Zimmer loved Dune growing up because he put a tremendous amount of creative work into this score.

Edit: House Atreides is fucking epic. This music is going to sound out of this world in a theater. This may be some of Zimmer's best work yet and I don't say that lightly.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 3:25 PM   

"House Atreides" was the run away favorite cue of mine until I started listening to "Moon Over Caladan" several times and realized this is perhaps my favorite track. I think thinking if Zimmer was scoring an epic in the 1960s, this is what the music would sound like.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 4:45 PM   
 By:   Totoro   (Member)

"House Atreides" was the run away favorite cue of mine until I started listening to "Moon Over Caladan" several times and realized this is perhaps my favorite track. I think thinking if Zimmer was scoring an epic in the 1960s, this is what the music would sound like.

You guys are making me laugh out loud with these impersonations of pseudo-intelectual music critics that take Zimmer's ludicrous amateurish atemps to pretend that he is nothing else of a person with no deep musical knowledge as some form of high art!

I bet next you will say that "Dune" is his best score to date - even better than "Chapie", but also the best movie score of all times, leaving behind such masterpieces as Renzetis' "Poltergeist 3", Goldsmith's "Criminal Law", Rizati's "Io Sto Con Gli Ippopotami" and Jarre's "Fatal Attraction".

Keep it coming, please!

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 5:35 PM   

You guys are making me laugh out loud with these impersonations of pseudo-intelectual music critics that take Zimmer's ludicrous amateurish atemps to pretend that he is nothing else of a person with no deep musical knowledge as some form of high art!

I bet next you will say that "Dune" is his best score to date - even better than "Chapie", but also the best movie score of all times, leaving behind such masterpieces as Renzetis' "Poltergeist 3", Goldsmith's "Criminal Law", Rizati's "Io Sto Con Gli Ippopotami" and Jarre's "Fatal Attraction".

Keep it coming, please!

Actually, we just like to enjoy and discuss music. And this just happens to be a score name Dune by Zimmer. I am sorry Zimmer lives rent free in your head and you can't stand that he is popular and acclaimed. There are plenty of other music for you to discuss elsewhere.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 5:37 PM   

I am about to go for a near hour run so I will get the last portion of this work knocked out tonight. I will let you know how I like that track.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 5:44 PM   
 By:   Totoro   (Member)

Actually, we just like to enjoy and discuss music. And this just happens to be a score name Dune by Zimmer. I am sorry Zimmer lives rent free in your head and you can't stand that he is popular and acclaimed. There are plenty of other music for you to discuss elsewhere.

Now... imagine if it was composed by... Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson?

Go on!

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 6:13 PM   
 By:   TM   (Member)

Really liking Moon Over Caladan...I like the theme ideas from House Atreides, but bagpipes?!? Dune and Celtic-ish themes, not quite right to me...

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 7:16 PM   

Really liking Moon Over Caladan...I like the theme ideas from House Atreides, but bagpipes?!? Dune and Celtic-ish themes, not quite right to me...

I found the Bagpipes a unique and interesting inclusion! It like Celtic bagpipes mixed with a touch of 80s synthwave. And then the track just builds into what it is. It's futuristic Celtic, is that a good description for it? I wonder what it will be accompanying in the movie.

Mephariel you are right, Moon Over Caladan is a really beautiful track. It's a nice slow down from the heavier cues that surround it. It's more of a reflective, slow atmospheric piece. I still gotta keep House Atreides as my favorite though.4

For me, this album has no "I have to hit the skip button" tracks. Each one is a great inclusion and gets my creative brain driving at full speed.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 7:34 PM   

Perhaps he was going for Greek bagpipes, which are also used in Iran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsampouna

It does seemed very Celtic-ish and odd but also gives the theme some uniqueness.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 7:43 PM   
 By:   TM   (Member)

Musically it's awesome. It's just so not Dune.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 8:08 PM   
 By:   first edition   (Member)

Well that's the music from the sketchbook, the full score sounds much more like Dune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQCGr0P4PIk&ab_channel=CelluloidSilver

The music in comparison evolves from the sketchbook to the score I think. This is probably the best vocal work in Hans' films.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 9:01 PM   

Yea, sticking with House Atreides as my hands down favorite. Listen to this score with your eyes closed while meditating. It is a surreal experience if you have an imaginative brain. Rotten Tomatoes has already given the score a good rating.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 9:08 PM   
 By:   first edition   (Member)

Yea, sticking with House Atreides as my hands down favorite. Listen to this score with your eyes closed while meditating. It is a surreal experience if you have an imaginative brain. Rotten Tomatoes has already given the score a good rating.

I love the intro song Arrakis At Dawn: https://youtu.be/dQCGr0P4PIk
and Nocturnal Moon is really good: https://youtu.be/dQCGr0P4PIk?t=1769
and Paul's Fantasy has the vibe that the author described in his book: https://youtu.be/dQCGr0P4PIk?t=466

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 9:46 PM   

Well that's the music from the sketchbook, the full score sounds much more like Dune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQCGr0P4PIk&ab_channel=CelluloidSilver

The music in comparison evolves from the sketchbook to the score I think. This is probably the best vocal work in Hans' films.

Is that like an unofficial release? I am going to resist and wait until the 17th. So I can listen, maybe purchase, and not worry about it being taken down soon.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2021 - 10:32 PM   
 By:   other tallguy   (Member)

Did any of you read the description?!?

"About Dune:
A mythic and emotionally charged hero’s journey, “Dune” is a semi-popular book that film studios have been trying to make into a movie forever. Featuring the inspirationally-named main character Paul Atreides, something about a great destiny, sand, wind, sand worms, and spices—only the most artfully-crafted music could suffice for such a tale—music that is anonymously ambient with semi-inoffensive sounds throughout. Who ya gonna call?
Music by: Hans Zimmer

About HansZimmer Music:
HansZimmer Music, the in-house label for the RemoteControl company, releases recorded music as rich and diverse as the company itself. For decades it has been the source of soundtracks assembled as a collective, kind of like a co-op in college, where everyone pitches in. And pitch in they do! Boasting hundreds of nameless composers on the roster, they all contribute to the patchwork of ambient excellence that is a HansZimmer score. For hundreds of years HansZimmer has enabled the creation of all the good musicians you know today: Mozart, Beethoven, Beethoven's lesser-known brother Peethoven, Stephen of Liège, the guy who did "The Planets", Peter Frampton, King Arthur, and Benjamin Bratten.

Dune Complete Soundtrack | Full Score | Music by Hans Zimmer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5UuS...

This is a fair-use parody of anonymous ambient music that could be interchangeably used from film-to-film and the people who call it genius."

Posted:   Sep 5, 2021 - 12:15 AM   
 By:   SoldierofFortune   (Member)

Is not official.

Posted:   Sep 5, 2021 - 12:49 AM   
 By:   kingtolkien   (Member)

Wanted so much to like it but I don't like it at all. I fear that the Zimmer sound will probably make me not like the film that much.

Posted:   Sep 5, 2021 - 7:13 AM   
 By:   Octoberdog   (Member)

Did any of you read the description?!?
"About Dune:
A mythic and emotionally charged hero’s journey, “Dune” is a semi-popular book that film studios have been trying to make into a movie forever. Featuring the inspirationally-named main character Paul Atreides, something about a great destiny, sand, wind, sand worms, and spices—only the most artfully-crafted music could suffice for such a tale—music that is anonymously ambient with semi-inoffensive sounds throughout. Who ya gonna call?
Music by: Hans Zimmer
About HansZimmer Music:
HansZimmer Music, the in-house label for the RemoteControl company, releases recorded music as rich and diverse as the company itself. For decades it has been the source of soundtracks assembled as a collective, kind of like a co-op in college, where everyone pitches in. And pitch in they do! Boasting hundreds of nameless composers on the roster, they all contribute to the patchwork of ambient excellence that is a HansZimmer score. For hundreds of years HansZimmer has enabled the creation of all the good musicians you know today: Mozart, Beethoven, Beethoven's lesser-known brother Peethoven, Stephen of Liège, the guy who did "The Planets", Peter Frampton, King Arthur, and Benjamin Bratten.
Dune Complete Soundtrack | Full Score | Music by Hans Zimmer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5UuS...
This is a fair-use parody of anonymous ambient music that could be interchangeably used from film-to-film and the people who call it genius."

This is brilliant.