Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 7, 2023 - 1:19 PM   
 By:   DavidCorkum   (Member)

These are a bit late I think. The stated release date for supporters was April 3rd.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2023 - 2:00 PM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

Apparently someone hasn't checked his mail regarding update sent by Leigh several days ago...

Posted:   Apr 7, 2023 - 2:04 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Are you a backer? This past Sunday the 2nd Leigh wrote this as a message to backers:

“Hi everyone!

Just a very quick note to let you know that there will be a very short delay on the "drop date" for the EPs; nothing significant, just 7 days...so the revised schedule means an April 10 release.

Apologies for the small hold up but there have a few things (mainly a mega heavy workload) that have got in the way of being able to compile the relevant elements for launching tomorrow

Thanks, all!

Leigh”

If you’re not a backer of course it’ll be a couple more months before the general release.

But for those eager to hear more of these two new GE Theater recordings before Monday’s release, get ready for another detailed Goldsmith Odyssey Production Report episode dropping within the next 24 hours or so!

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 7, 2023 - 2:11 PM   

Are you a backer? This past Sunday the 2nd Leigh wrote this as a message to backers
Yavar

Yes, I am a backer, but I didn't get the email. Thank you for posting it.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2023 - 2:54 PM   

No problem. I’m guessing it’s a situation of “SPAM FILTER STRIKES AGAIN”.

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 9, 2023 - 11:32 AM   

OK, now I've gotten the email saying that links should have been sent out. I got this message but not the links. Did other backers get their links?

I don't have a junk mail folder or filter.

Posted:   Apr 9, 2023 - 12:15 PM   
 By:   LeighPhillips   (Member)

OK, now I've gotten the email saying that links should have been sent out. I got this message but not the links. Did other backers get their links?

I don't have a junk mail folder or filter.

Hi David,

I've double-checked the system and a Kickstarter email with the links was sent to you earlier today. As a back-up, I've just mailed you the info from my regular email account (in the eventuality that your mail server is rejecting the KS messages)

Posted:   Apr 9, 2023 - 12:50 PM   

I've just mailed you the info from my regular email account (in the eventuality that your mail server is rejecting the KS messages)

I didn't get the original message, but I did this new one. Thanks very much Mr. Phillips! (Thanks for the project to begin with as well).

Posted:   Apr 9, 2023 - 5:19 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Listening now. Fantastic result, as expected.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 12:04 PM   

So glad you’re enjoying these two, TerraEpon! Which is your favorite? I think mine is “Hitler’s Secret” though that may have to do with the fact that it’s fresh and new and exciting to me, whereas I’ve known the other score in episode context for a few years now. Or maybe they’re equal for you? Leigh himself said on our podcast episode here that he likes both of these scores equally (for different reasons), this time around.

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 1:43 PM   

I think I'm enjoying Hitler's Secret a little more as well. just because it has subtle echoes of some of Goldsmith's more surreal scores of the '60s. Slight tinges of Thriller, Twilight Zone and Seconds, which Mr Phillips reproduced very well.

Speaking of which, does the written score exist for Seconds?

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 3:21 PM   

I think it's at the Academy's Herrick Library, but their site isn't searchable at the moment so I can't easily confirm. Would make a great candidate for a new recording though.

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 3:51 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Great release(s)! This is not a surprise to me – I knew they would be. Wonderful performances, terrific sound, and I love these mini-Goldsmiths. Looking forward to really getting to know them!

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 3:59 PM   
 By:   .   (Member)

"Hitler's Secret" is very nice to have.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 4:03 PM   

I forgot to bring up this subject in our Goldsmith Odyssey Production Report episode, but does anyone else get a strong Bernard Herrmann vibe (in the best possible way) from parts of Hitler's Secret, as well as my favorite cue from The Legend That Walks Like a Man, "Image of Desire"?

More examples (to my ears, anyway) of the young Goldsmith being much more influenced by Herrmann than North, though people seem to credit the latter with more sway over Goldsmith's style.

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 4:19 PM   

More examples (to my ears, anyway) of the young Goldsmith being much more influenced by Herrmann than North.

Yavar

Is it possible that Goldsmith's work for TV was by it's nature more streamlined, and that made it comparable to Herrmann who was always pretty sparce?

Herrmann would have agreed with you, as he's supposed to have confronted Goldsmith at one point and angrily accused him of plagiarism. Although he was kind of known for doing that. A year or so later Goldsmith did another score that prompted Herrmann to tell him "your music was too good for that movie", which Goldsmith considered a big compliment, considering the source.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 4:23 PM   

More examples (to my ears, anyway) of the young Goldsmith being much more influenced by Herrmann than North.

Yavar

Is it possible that Goldsmith's work for TV was by it's nature more streamlined, and that made it comparable to Herrmann who was always pretty sparce?

Herrmann would have agreed with you, as he's supposed to have confronted Goldsmith at one point and angrily accused him of plagiarism. Although he was kind of known for doing that to people. A year or so later Goldsmith did another score that prompted Herrmann to tell him "your music was too good for that movie", which Goldsmith considered a big compliment, considering the source.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 4:24 PM   
 By:   .   (Member)

... does anyone else get a strong Bernard Herrmann vibe (in the best possible way) from parts of Hitler's Secret, as well as my favorite cue from The Legend That Walks Like a Man, "Image of Desire"?
Yavar

Yes, now you mention it, sections of track 3 ("Hitler's Secret") sound like they could be inserted almost seamlessly into Jason and the Argonauts or Journey to the Center of the Earth and maybe some others.

But happily Herrmann doesn't seem to have been influenced to compose stuff like the circus-like, oompah-oompah sections of Goldsmith's "The Legend That Walks Like a Man".

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 4:57 PM   

Well, I've heard some Herrmann influence in some of his early film scores and radio scores as well, so it's not limited to just TV.

Herrmann would have agreed with you, as he's supposed to have confronted Goldsmith at one point and angrily accused him of plagiarism. Although he was kind of known for doing that to people.

Actually this was a misunderstanding, as I recall. I think Gary Kester or someone shared more, but if I recall correctly it was because some TV episode used tracked music from both Goldsmith and Herrmann, and Goldsmith got credited with it because over 50% of the music used was his. But Herrmann somehow came across the episode, heard his music with a Goldsmith credit attached, and got livid about it.

I don't think he was angry at Jerry for occasionally being a bit influenced by him; the thought there was a case of outright plagiarism.

A year or so later Goldsmith did another score that prompted Herrmann to tell him "your music was too good for that movie", which Goldsmith considered a big compliment, considering the source.

Yeah, apparently that was on 1962's Lonely Are the Brave, my single favorite Goldsmith score for a feature film.

But I can only surmise that Herrmann didn't actually see the whole film but only swung by a recording session, because the film is one of the best things Goldsmith ever scored. To Herrmann it must've just been an obscure B western he caught a segment of, out of context.

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 10, 2023 - 6:43 PM   

There was a TV movie fictionalizing the making of Citizen Kane called "RKO 281". It was included in the Citizen Kane blu-ray set. There was a quick segment showing Herrmann (an actor) recording his score. The main characters interrupted, and he snapped at them and sneered!