Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 31, 2018 - 2:54 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

Mine finally arrived today!!! Yesssss!!!!

Posted:   Jul 31, 2018 - 3:17 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

Yes and no. We've had 20 years to talk about the original release. This is a greatly expanded one with tons of new material. You'd think we'd be more focused on that.

The music has been in the movie for 20 years. It's also been available in a complete form as a DVD "hidden feature" (with source music mixed in). The complete score is VERY familiar to Goldsmith fans.

All true. I've had the unmentionable for several years YET it should be about the music. I have the expanded release now and any flaws on it are no big whoop as far as I'm concerned. But by the comments here you'd think people were getting cheated out of their income tax returns.

Yep I'm sure there are a few of us - maybe a few more - who don't have a problem with this set. Others have heard the static, honestly I don't. The end credits thing confuses me - it's the same end credits as the actual film, right ? The only thing is that it is now separate from The Sand Volcano ? I can see why it's edited as is, but they're recreating the music from the film, so, not sure why it's an issue as the original album version is on CD2.

Small issues all around, in my opinion. Darn happy to have it. AND The Mummy Returns.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2018 - 3:53 PM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

Okay, I'll weigh in on this set.

Overall, I LOVE this set and the way it sounds, it is generally fantastic to my ears.

To address a couple of issue I've seen listed:

1. The film version of the End Credits.

This to me is a big non-issue, since the OST arrangement with the finale (OST : The Sand Volcano) allows me to visit what is already there, while enjoying essentially the film version of the credits.

Essentially the best of both worlds.

The only thing is the synth is slightly odd to my ears in the film End Credits.

2. The Plane Ride is an excerpt from another cue.

Not an issue for me, and fills that part of the narrative on the CD.

3. Buzz heard in certain cues.

We already know it just became more prominent in the new mix and is the result of some elements being recorded "hot". I have no issue with it in that light, and it's not a distraction from the great overall mix.

All of the above is really nitpicking at most IMHO, and this is an amazing score, and an excellent release for me.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2018 - 7:40 PM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

Okay, I'll weigh in on this set.

Overall, I LOVE this set and the way it sounds, it is generally fantastic to my ears.

To address a couple of issue I've seen listed:

1. The film version of the End Credits.

This to me is a big non-issue, since the OST arrangement with the finale (OST : The Sand Volcano) allows me to visit what is already there, while enjoying essentially the film version of the credits.

Essentially the best of both worlds.

The only thing is the synth is slightly odd to my ears in the film End Credits.

2. The Plane Ride is an excerpt from another cue.

Not an issue for me, and fills that part of the narrative on the CD.

3. Buzz heard in certain cues.

We already know it just became more prominent in the new mix and is the result of some elements being recorded "hot". I have no issue with it in that light, and it's not a distraction from the great overall mix.

All of the above is really nitpicking at most IMHO, and this is an amazing score, and an excellent release for me.

I think "The Plane Ride" is its own unique cue but features a performance of Rick's hero theme that is very similar to what's heard near the end of "Rebirth". I don't have the CD near me now but I think in the booklet "The Plane Ride" has its own slate # which means it was uniquely recorded and wasn't edited in from some other cue purely for those CD release.

Posted:   Aug 1, 2018 - 12:11 AM   
 By:   Brundlefly   (Member)

I think "The Plane Ride" is its own unique cue but features a performance of Rick's hero theme that is very similar to what's heard near the end of "Rebirth". I don't have the CD near me now but I think in the booklet "The Plane Ride" has its own slate # which means it was uniquely recorded and wasn't edited in from some other cue purely for those CD release.

It's also marked as previously unreleased (*).

Posted:   Aug 1, 2018 - 4:26 AM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

“The Plane Ride” is very similar, but a slightly longer version of the end of “Rebirth.” There's an extra phrase in there.

Posted:   Aug 1, 2018 - 10:21 AM   

“The Plane Ride” is very similar, but a slightly longer version of the end of “Rebirth.” There's an extra phrase in there.

So it's the same composition and not the same recording. The reason for the weird slate number is maybe the fact that it was added very late in the process.

Posted:   Aug 1, 2018 - 11:20 AM   

I’m loving this set!

Posted:   Aug 1, 2018 - 12:19 PM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

So it's the same composition and not the same recording. The reason for the weird slate number is maybe the fact that it was added very late in the process.

This makes more sense.

Posted:   Aug 2, 2018 - 6:30 PM   
 By:   richsto   (Member)

Really enjoyed the first disc, terrific. Beautiful liner notes and sound.

Unfortunately the second disc arrived DOA and will not play in any CD player. Looks like it has star like lines shooting from the center. Just carefully removed it from the spindle and put it in my Music Hall CD25.2. My OPPO UDP-205 wouldn’t even play it. Super bummed...

Assume no one else has had issues? Just asking. Intrada has already reached out to me and will get it squared away...excellent customer service!

Posted:   Aug 5, 2018 - 4:10 AM   

By the way, The Plane Ride turned out to be a tracked excerpt from Rebirth with a few bars looped at the end.

Posted:   Aug 12, 2018 - 2:02 PM   
 By:   JamesSouthall   (Member)

My review of the album:

http://www.movie-wave.net/the-mummy-2/

Posted:   Sep 2, 2018 - 8:25 AM   

Does anyone else have a very loud sound error in "A Key in the Hands" at 0:15? It sounds like a manufacturing error and if it is on anyone else's copy, he will definite?ly not be able to ignore it.

The climax of "The Mummy Attack" also has two errors, just a few seconds after the volume has reached its peak.

Apart from the tracking bullshit and the sound errors, which there are too many of, the set is quite decent, I g?ues?s. But it's nowhere near the Jurassic Park Collection.??

Posted:   Sep 2, 2018 - 9:24 AM   

Does anyone else have a very loud sound error in "A Key in the Hands" at 0:15? It sounds like a manufacturing error and if it is on anyone else's copy, he will definite?ly not be able to ignore it.

The climax of "The Mummy Attack" also has two errors, just a few seconds after the volume has reached its peak.

Apart from the tracking bullshit and the sound errors, which there are too many of, the set is quite decent, I g?ues?s. But it's nowhere near the Jurassic Park Collection.??

I honestly haven’t noticed any of these (or other) issues.

Posted:   Sep 2, 2018 - 10:45 AM   
 By:   Chris Rimmer   (Member)

I've never heard these issues either, however, I did lend my son my copy of The Mummy, and on his sound system the issues came up loud and clear, he was very disappointed with this release. He brought it back home and listened on my Sony stereo and.......................................nothing, no sound problems at all, just an amazing sounding score.

The only conclusion we could come to was, that it depends on what you listen to the Mummy on, some systems pick up all the defects and others (like mine) don't.

Posted:   Sep 2, 2018 - 11:04 AM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Took this in the car & the 'hot level' issues Intrada already addressed are there at the end of Camel Race - on a car stock stereo. Haven't decided if I care yet, but the anomalies are inherent in the tapes, so we're screwed on this one, before everyone gets all Total Recally.
Whoever else hears those incredibly distracting clicks on Night Crossing, I'm with you on that, I cant even listen to it, had to go back to the prior version which is actually a fine release. Good news is these problems have alternatives available out there which sound fine.

Posted:   Sep 2, 2018 - 12:36 PM   
 By:   Jens   (Member)

Whoever else hears those incredibly distracting clicks on Night Crossing, I'm with you on that, I cant even listen to it, had to go back to the prior version which is actually a fine release. Good news is these problems have alternatives available out there which sound fine.

YES! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Posted:   Sep 2, 2018 - 2:55 PM   

The only conclusion we could come to was, that it depends on what you listen to the Mummy on, some systems pick up all the defects and others (like mine) don't.

In general, I would say the mix is questionable at times. But there are two obvious sound issues which is the static noise in Camel Race and the two clicks (à la Night Crossing, but louder) at the end of The Mummy Attack.

Posted:   Sep 2, 2018 - 2:57 PM   

Aren't the Night Crossing issues inherent in the sources and irreparable, unless you somehow lower the clarity of the sound?

Posted:   Sep 4, 2018 - 2:52 PM   
 By:   leagolfer   (Member)

I haven't bought Mummy yet - is it that bad that Intrada need to fix it - I'm picking this up soon I don't want to do it twice.