Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 4, 2018 - 3:44 PM   
 By:   Adam B.   (Member)

I haven't bought Mummy yet - is it that bad that Intrada need to fix it - I'm picking this up soon I don't want to do it twice.

Intrada already stated that the (very minor) buzz/click sound on one track cannot be fixed so go ahead and buy it. Chances are you won't even notice the glitch.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2018 - 3:51 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Night Crossing: Boo-yah at you Jens, I went round and round on that thing too....

Brundle : clicks are inherent in the source. It was basically mastered so well the warts are now apparent. They are so frequent and noticeable I cant endorse it. Not truly Intrada's fault since they mastered the best possible...just too bad it singled out the flaws. Maybe your hearing level wont pick it up...if so you're lucky, I love that damn score.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2018 - 8:44 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

I haven't bought Mummy yet - is it that bad that Intrada need to fix it - I'm picking this up soon I don't want to do it twice.

Yeah, go ahead and get it. I can't hear the issues on my copy. Not saying it isn't there, but I just don't hear anything.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2018 - 11:49 PM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

The Mummy could be a good barometer for hearing loss among film score fans. At least it will help you appreciate the clicks in the mastering...for as long as you can hear them.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2018 - 3:06 PM   
 By:   leagolfer   (Member)

Intrada already stated that the (very minor) buzz/click sound on one track cannot be fixed so go ahead and buy it. Chances are you won't even notice the glitch.

Thanks Adam B. - MikeP for letting me know its nothing. Huh, now reading the fuss with Night Crossing being dodgy I'm not hearing clicks - its clean - sharper than Intrada's previous i still love both.

Posted:   Sep 9, 2018 - 1:52 PM   
 By:   Brundlefly   (Member)

Brundle : clicks are inherent in the source. It was basically mastered so well the warts are now apparent. They are so frequent and noticeable I cant endorse it. Not truly Intrada's fault since they mastered the best possible...just too bad it singled out the flaws. Maybe your hearing level wont pick it up...if so you're lucky, I love that damn score.

After I bought it, I didn't hear the clicks for months until I noticed them and now I can't ignore them any more. frown

But the mixing and the mastering is great. One of the best sounding scores of the early eighties!

The Mummy, however, has a really questionable mix at times and several sonic issues. (Let alone the incredibly terrible idea to recreate film edits.)

Posted:   Sep 13, 2018 - 11:24 AM   
 By:   Oscarilbo   (Member)

So... what's been the consensus? Does this expanded edition really improve on the SQ from the original 1999 release or not ?

I can buy it now but reactions are a bit unexpected.

Posted:   Sep 13, 2018 - 3:33 PM   
 By:   Adam B.   (Member)

So... what's been the consensus? Does this expanded edition really improve on the SQ from the original 1999 release or not?

I believe the majority of those who have bought this edition are happy with it. I think it's a marvelous release and have played it many times. I find no shortcomings at all. Get it!

Posted:   Sep 15, 2018 - 11:45 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

WOW! I haven't even heard this score yet.

I watched the film tonite specifically to hear the score.
Boy , what a disappointment!
The music was as uninspired as the crappy film

If you.want to hear Middle Eastern Jerry, go with WIND AND THE LION.
Brm

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 12:05 AM   

When I saw that this thread was over 200 posts long I came in excited to read what everyone was saying about the music but no. It's usual thing of 50 straight posts being about a crackle or pop in the first 9 seconds of the second cue or the "why did they include this instead of that?" stuff. Really guys?

Ahahhhaaa!

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 4:47 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

So... what's been the consensus? Does this expanded edition really improve on the SQ from the original 1999 release or not ?

I can buy it now but reactions are a bit unexpected.

Sound mix is extremely problematic. Stick with the original album, but if you don’t have that, Intrada’s release comes with it anyway.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 5:23 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

A bit silly to buy the Intrada release just for the original album:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000IWP1/ref=sr_1_2_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1537100580&sr=1-2&keywords=mummy+goldsmith

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 5:38 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Sound mix is extremely problematic. Stick with the original album, but if you don’t have that, Intrada’s release comes with it anyway.

It was very intentionally mixed the way it was, by Bruce Botnick. Now I'm not Botnick's greatest fan but I'm guessing he had his reasons - especially when elevating certain synth effects.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 5:43 AM   
 By:   Jens   (Member)

I don’t think Shaun insinuated that the mix was a mistake or not intentional, just that he doesn’t agree with Botnick’s choices. I am usually a Botnick fanboy, but find myself on the same side as Shaun on this issue.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 5:55 AM   

I don’t think Shaun insinuated that the mix was a mistake or not intentional, just that he doesn’t agree with Botnick’s choices. I am usually a Botnick fanboy, but find myself on the same side as Shaun on this issue.

I don't agree with most of Botnick's output to be honest.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 6:08 AM   
 By:   davefg   (Member)

So in summary, there are three problems with this score a) The end titles is truncated(?), (b) there are some glitches, (C) and the mixing emphasizes the synths over orchestra?

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 10:30 AM   
 By:   Jens   (Member)

It’s not only the synths. The mixing is generally very aggressive and close, with each part of the orchestra competing for placement. It no longer has the wet “great hall” feel of the old album, which will be preferable to some but not me.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 10:52 AM   

So in summary, there are three problems with this score a) The end titles is truncated(?), (b) there are some glitches, (C) and the mixing emphasizes the synths over orchestra?

You left out d) uninspired music for a crappy film

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 10:53 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Like I probably said upthread, it sounds like a downmix from 5.1. The balance is all over the place.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2018 - 10:57 AM   

You left out d) uninspired music for a crappy film

The music isn't uninspired and the film isn't crappy.