Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 28, 2019 - 5:52 PM   
 By:   Jim Cleveland   (Member)

This is the 300TH POST!!!!big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Posted:   Feb 28, 2019 - 7:06 PM   
 By:   spf781   (Member)

It has arrived! I am currently listening to CD 2 and the audio is stunning. I own all of the incarnations including my Original LP from 1978 and this is spectacular (but I will never part with my glorious Blue Box!) Full disclosure: The package was sent from Burbank, CA, and I only live miles away in West Hollywood so the package never needed to see the inside of the cargo hold of an airplane.

Got mine earlier this afternoon and it's been in the machine ever since. Fantastic set for one of the best soundtracks ever made.

Posted:   Feb 28, 2019 - 8:29 PM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

Too bad they couldn't include the planned disc four:
"Singers and rappers Interpret 'Can You Read my mind?'.

Maybe for the Fiftiest anniversary?

Posted:   Feb 28, 2019 - 9:54 PM   
 By:   JeffM   (Member)

LOVE the spine!!

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 3:46 AM   
 By:   maurizio.caschetto   (Member)

Listening to the podcast now.
Superb commentary by MXMX and Maurizio!!!!!
brm

Thank you for your nice words, Bruce. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I certainly had a great time doing it.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 4:38 AM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

brm

Thank you for your nice words, Bruce. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I certainly had a great time doing it.

Did you do any earlier podcasts for releases like CE3K? I tried looking but couldn't find any.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 6:25 AM   

brm

Did you do any earlier podcasts for releases like CE3K? I tried looking but couldn't find any.

Tim Burden did several podcasts with Mike M for the releases of E.T., CE3K, Dracula and the Harry Potter set:

http://www.cinematicsound.net/interview-with-mike-matessino-guest-host-tim-burden/

https://soundcloud.com/timburden/mike-matessino-on-dracula-and-john-williams

https://soundcloud.com/timburden/hogwarts-forever-mike-matessino-on-john-williams-music-for-harry-potter

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 7:19 AM   

In this case, my guess is that it was originally a different scene entirely, with young Clark discovering the Fortress already built. The cue summary in the spotting notes says "Clark finds fortress." For the revised cue it says "Clark throws crystal. Fortress builds." Perhaps after it was assembled, and as more of the movie was coming together, the filmmakers felt that this scene could be more dramatic and feature additional effects, so all of the miniatures of the beams rising up out of the ice, etc. were added. By this time, Williams was rethinking some of the cues such as the phantom zone material, the mugger scene, etc.

Interesting that the motif in the cue, which is also heard in the music for the start of the trial sequence at the beginning of the film (not used in the final mix), bears a slight similarity to the one heard in the early sunset music from Star Wars. In that cue, the motif also reappears a bit later - in the scene where Luke discovers Threepio's severed arm after the Sand People attack.

Finding and playing these cues were uncannily similar experiences, just 22 years apart!

It is truly fascinating and I'm happy you agreed to discuss it at length in our podcast together.

Perhaps I'm using too much of my imagination to build imaginary sequences once again, but the original Fortress cue truly made me think of some mythological journey, as if this was the music for King Arthur arriving at Camelot. It seems that JW went for a more myth-based approach originally, like he did for Star Wars (the motif sounds like a relative to the Obi-Wan/Force theme written a year earlier)

It's interesting to note that the revised cue has instead an eerie and mystical quality, close to his CE3K writing.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 8:46 AM   
 By:   Shock-Wave   (Member)

Awaiting Shipment on my end. Hopefully by early March.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 9:00 AM   
 By:   MCurry29   (Member)

Ordered Feb 16th-still awaiting shipment.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 10:03 AM   
 By:   other tallguy   (Member)

USPS says it's expected today! Under promise and over deliver!

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 10:08 AM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

brm

Not that many scores that could sustain such in-depth analysis!

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 11:09 AM   
 By:   dbakes4   (Member)

I received my copy in the mail yesterday and will be diving into the score this weekend. I'm planning on ripping the remastered OST to a different folder than the first two discs. I would like to use the cover of the booklet as the cover art for the OST since it mirrors the the original LP release. La La Land's website has a nice resolution image of the main artwork. Has anyone seen a digital version of the manual yet? If not, I can use the old LP or scan the new manual.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 11:36 AM   
 By:   JeffM   (Member)

I received my copy in the mail yesterday and will be diving into the score this weekend. I'm planning on ripping the remastered OST to a different folder than the first two discs. I would like to use the cover of the booklet as the cover art for the OST since it mirrors the the original LP release. La La Land's website has a nice resolution image of the main artwork. Has anyone seen a digital version of the manual yet? If not, I can use the old LP or scan the new manual.

I have not, but I'd like to do the same thing for Disc 3.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 12:56 PM   
 By:   other tallguy   (Member)

A few years ago when I got a good rip of the original LPs of The Empire Strikes Back I put each side of the LPs into a playlist. It made for an incredibly satisfying listen taking those small bites like I would have on a record player.

I'm pretty sure I'll do the same thing with the LP portion of Superman.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 7:27 PM   
 By:   erepel   (Member)

To my eye, this is flawless. https://lpcover.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/superman/

Posted:   Mar 1, 2019 - 9:49 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Good to have Warning Shot without the dialog bleed that spoiled the first release. Makes it well worth the upgrade for me, regardless of whether Archer is any good (I've only played the Warning Shot tracks at this point).

Posted:   Mar 2, 2019 - 12:33 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Any details from the booklet you can share about the new Warning Shot source that LLL found?

Yavar

Posted:   Mar 2, 2019 - 12:54 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Any details from the booklet you can share about the new Warning Shot source that LLL found?

All they say in the notes about the new source is that since using the studio's music stems last time, "some of the original recordings have surfaced, making possible this new edition featuring longer and better-sounding renditions of Goldsmith's music".

I don't know how much "some" means. I haven't played the old and the new side-by-side, but my impression from memory is that the corresponding tracks now sound slightly (rather than considerably) better overall, but with the huge benefit of no background dialog bleed. On first hearing, the extra tracks are a very positive addition – apart from the two heinous bonus songs.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2019 - 9:29 AM   
 By:   CK   (Member)

The sound quality on the new LLL release is wonderful (compared to the 2000 Rhino release, which is the only version of the score I had heard up to now). Much kudos to the Monkeys! smile